chai spiked pumpkin milkshake

Yesterday was another big day – for Basil.

Basil was dropped off at the vet in the morning, he had a minor surgery and a teeth cleaning. Poor sweet puppers was so dopey and sleepy when I picked him up last night… but his teeth are squeaky clean and his surgery went well.

So, can I show you the cutest thing ever?

Basil in his 2012 Halloween costume (um, Halloweenie costume…). Isn’t he just so dang cute?? I can’t get over the “pants”. <– How cute is that?? We have been calling him Pants. It’s his new nickname.

This actually was perfect timing – the vet told me if we had a small tee he could wear, it would work better than a cone. So he gets to wear his Skeleton Pajama Pants all the time now! His recovery will be 14 days before the sutures come out, I may have to go find a couple more costumes like this…

chai-spiked pumpkin shake

dairy, egg, soy and gluten free, vegan

serves two

2 scoops pumpkin ice cream*
1/3 cup pumpkin puree
1/2 cup coconut milk (carton)
2 tablespoonsΒ chai tea powder (Natures Flavors)
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice

In blender, combine ice cream, pumpkin puree, coconut milk – blend until smooth. Add chai, cinnamon and pumpkin pie spice, pulse blender to combine. Pour into glasses and garnish with a sprinkle of pumpkin pie spice or cinnamon.Β

*For a smoothie rather than a dessert, replace the ice cream with two scoops of vanilla protein powder and another cup of coconut milk.

I’m playing Puppy Nurse today – he’s wagging his tail right now so I know he’s feeling a little better – we are spending the morning making more pumpkin ice cream…

Comments

poor girl… when we first rescued Basil he had to have one tooth pulled – went through all this back then too. little sweeties.

Awww, your sweet Basil is tooo cute. I hope he recovers quickly. I feel so bad for the pups after they get all drugged up, saddest thing ever.
    This milkshake looks pretty darn incredible, I wish I had one right now. YUM!

I know – they look so small and vulnerable. he is doing a bit better today, not drugged at least!

I wish I could make you a milkshake right now! πŸ˜€

I know, I was so happy about the no cone needed… as long as I keep the sutures covered with his shirt, he’s fine. :) sweet little guy, they are so small and vulnerable looking when they’re under the weather…

2. Caroline says

For a few weeks you were doing What I Ate Wednesday posts, I really liked them! Are you bringing them back after the month of sweets?

I hope Basil feels better soon! Very cute costume. Robin’s Chihuahua doesnt like her fairy wings :)

I am curious about the recipe – how can it be dairy free if it uses pumpkin ice cream? Is there a special brand you use?

Basil gets a new costume every year, he doesn’t really mind them… πŸ˜‰

and the ice cream is one I made, using a canned full fat coconut milk. I’m sure a dairy free ice cream can be found in stores this time of year too…

I just died from cuteness overload! I had a weiner pup growing up and my fav costume for her was a witch hat & ‘dress’. So cute!

That shake will be in my belly this weekend – all of my favorite flavors!

Basil gets a new costume every year – he loves them :) this year’s is comfortable for him, he doesn’t mind wearing it all day (which he WILL be doing for a while…) πŸ˜‰

right? I giggle every time I see him walking around in it… those PANTS. so dang cute.

once again, if you were my neighbor, this could be delivered to your door… πŸ˜‰

5. Michelle says

Basil’s costume is so cute I want to die – that’s awesome and hilarious that it is doctor prescribed .

thanks, Sarah! isn’t he just the cutest? and thank you – he seems to be recovering well, he is being spoiled today :)

really! the incision site / sutures are high up, like on his stomach / chest… so as long as a shirt covers, it works better than a cone (and has to be more comfortable!). those cones are so sad, and it usually means they’ve been through so much already :(

Poor baby Basil! Daisy just got spayed 2 weeks ago and she had a surprisingly slow recovery. She ended up wearing a tshirt too for a few days to keep her from scratching at the rash. And she was very mellow about it, so a Halloween costume is definitely in the works for her!

What beautiful pictures; the colors looked fabulous together.
    Poor sweet Basil…he looks adorable in his costume. My city actually hosts the Spookie Pooch parade this month, and they shut down the Main Street and have a costume parade for the dogs. It’s one of the greatest things I’ve ever seen. I can’t wait for this year’s, and I don’t even have a dog.

thank you, Meghan! :)

oh, I need to see if there is some kind of “Pet Parade” around here – seems like a Portland thing to do… πŸ˜‰ it sounds way too cute, I just love all the pups. every last one.

8. Nina says

Oh wow, this looks AMAZING!
    Thanks so much for sharing. I have some homegrown pumpkin, leftover from last season in the pantry still. This looks like a worthy cause. :)

Oh my goodness, basil is too cute in that costume.
    We’ve tried to dress up our older doxie, Elvis, in an Elvis costume, but he tears it off immediately.
    As always, this recipe looks delicious. I can’t resist anything chai flavored!

oh my GOSH Elvis!! how cute would that be! maybe Elvis would like a costume like this kind… it’s basically just a shirt (with CUTE PANTS!) πŸ˜‰

Wow that shake looks amazing! I’ve put off getting an ice cream maker all summer long (do I really need ANOTHER appliance?) and might just cave now so that I can make this. I’ve seen other recipes for pumpkin ice cream, but yours looks so creamy! It looks too hard to pass up.

Also, Basil is quite the cutie.

Lisa Marie, this is the perfect time to get an ice cream maker – they are most likely on sale now! (I got mine in September a few years back…).

and Basil says thank you :)

11. Gerry says

you can buy pumpkin ice cream (not vegan, however) so this is what I did LOL. then I followed your recipe for one of the tastiest desserts I will have this season, yowza! thanks from the whole Gerry K family. (Salem, Oregon)

12. Michelle says

Can you use another dairy free milk? I am not a fan of the coconut milk.

I have a doxie too! I wish my husband would let me dress ours up…..

you can use any milk you please – it will still be delicious! and hello fellow doxie family – what is yours named? :)

• Michelle says

His name is Charlie. I adopted him from the Central Texas Dachshund Rescue. I have had doxies my whole life…

I have grown up with doxies too! we adopted Basil from Oregon Dashshund Rescue, and we’re thinking of getting him a sister soon… :)