chai spiked pumpkin milkshake

in Basil Pup, Dessert, Gluten Free, recipes, Smoothie, Vegan, Vegan MoFo

Yesterday was another big day – for Basil.

Basil was dropped off at the vet in the morning, he had a minor surgery and a teeth cleaning. Poor sweet puppers was so dopey and sleepy when I picked him up last night… but his teeth are squeaky clean and his surgery went well.

So, can I show you the cutest thing ever?

Basil in his 2012 Halloween costume (um, Halloweenie costume…). Isn’t he just so dang cute?? I can’t get over the “pants”. <– How cute is that?? We have been calling him Pants. It’s his new nickname.

This actually was perfect timing – the vet told me if we had a small tee he could wear, it would work better than a cone. So he gets to wear his Skeleton Pajama Pants all the time now! His recovery will be 14 days before the sutures come out, I may have to go find a couple more costumes like this…

chai-spiked pumpkin shake

dairy, egg, soy and gluten free, vegan

serves two

2 scoops pumpkin ice cream*
1/3 cup pumpkin puree
1/2 cup coconut milk (carton)
2 tablespoons chai tea powder (Natures Flavors)
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice

In blender, combine ice cream, pumpkin puree, coconut milk Рblend until smooth. Add chai, cinnamon and pumpkin pie spice, pulse blender to combine. Pour into glasses and garnish with a sprinkle of pumpkin pie spice or cinnamon.

*For a smoothie rather than a dessert, replace the ice cream with two scoops of vanilla protein powder and another cup of coconut milk.

I’m playing Puppy Nurse today – he’s wagging his tail right now so I know he’s feeling a little better – we are spending the morning making more pumpkin ice cream…

1 Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit October 3, 2012 at 3:36 am

Aww, Basil at the vet…. one time, we took Pebbles into the vet and they had to pull out a bunch of her front teeth! It was too funny to see her all doped up with a cone around her head and a bunch of teeth missing.

2 spabettie October 3, 2012 at 10:38 am

poor girl… when we first rescued Basil he had to have one tooth pulled – went through all this back then too. little sweeties.

3 Beth @ Tasty Yummies October 3, 2012 at 5:14 am

Awww, your sweet Basil is tooo cute. I hope he recovers quickly. I feel so bad for the pups after they get all drugged up, saddest thing ever.
This milkshake looks pretty darn incredible, I wish I had one right now. YUM!

4 spabettie October 3, 2012 at 10:37 am

I know – they look so small and vulnerable. he is doing a bit better today, not drugged at least!

I wish I could make you a milkshake right now! :D

5 Heather (Where's the Beach) October 3, 2012 at 5:21 am

Oh poor Basil Man. I always hate to see them so doped up and out of it. At least he doesn’t have to wear a cone!!

6 spabettie October 3, 2012 at 10:36 am

I know, I was so happy about the no cone needed… as long as I keep the sutures covered with his shirt, he’s fine. :) sweet little guy, they are so small and vulnerable looking when they’re under the weather…

7 Jess @UsedYorkCity October 3, 2012 at 5:30 am

This looks amazing! And best wishes for a speedy recovery for little Basil, aww!!!

8 spabettie October 3, 2012 at 10:35 am

thank you Jess! he is getting a lot of love today… :)

9 jobo October 3, 2012 at 5:49 am

I think I would like chai if I tried it this way ;-)

10 spabettie October 3, 2012 at 10:35 am

I think so too :)

11 christina October 3, 2012 at 6:30 am

basil is cracking me up. he looks so fab. and i’ll take 2 milkshakes please.

12 spabettie October 3, 2012 at 10:35 am

isn’t he SO cute? I wish you could come over… I would make us milkshakes!

13 Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table October 3, 2012 at 6:35 am

It must be chai day – I did a chai-pear creation. Love the pumpkin idea! I just bought a big one to roast… maybe a chai roast?!

14 spabettie October 3, 2012 at 10:34 am

oh my GOSH a chai roasted pumpkin?? yes!!

15 spabettie October 3, 2012 at 10:43 am

oh and your chai pear custard??? YUM.

16 Caroline October 3, 2012 at 7:15 am

For a few weeks you were doing What I Ate Wednesday posts, I really liked them! Are you bringing them back after the month of sweets?

17 spabettie October 3, 2012 at 10:34 am

probably not, Caroline. I may do a “daily eats” post like that from time to time, glad you liked them!

18 Karen @Living Low Carb October 3, 2012 at 7:22 am

That costume is so cute! I should get on for my doxie :) I’ll have to give that milkshake a try also. I love that it’s dairy free!

19 spabettie October 3, 2012 at 10:03 am

you SHOULD get one for your doxie!! (I found it at Michael’s!)

20 Allie October 3, 2012 at 7:30 am

As if Basil wasn’t cute enough already…he gets a skeleton outfit too??

21 spabettie October 3, 2012 at 9:44 am

absolutely! ;)

22 Matt mmWine Horbund October 3, 2012 at 8:09 am

I hope Basil feels better soon! Very cute costume. Robin’s Chihuahua doesnt like her fairy wings :)

I am curious about the recipe – how can it be dairy free if it uses pumpkin ice cream? Is there a special brand you use?

23 spabettie October 3, 2012 at 9:39 am

Basil gets a new costume every year, he doesn’t really mind them… ;)

and the ice cream is one I made, using a canned full fat coconut milk. I’m sure a dairy free ice cream can be found in stores this time of year too…

24 Dianne @ Veggiegirl October 3, 2012 at 8:38 am

Awww… Basil looks so cute in his costume. I hope he’s feeling better!

25 spabettie October 3, 2012 at 9:32 am

thank you Dianne! he seems to be less “fuzzy” and stumbly today – doing better!

26 Ashley F. October 3, 2012 at 8:51 am

I just died from cuteness overload! I had a weiner pup growing up and my fav costume for her was a witch hat & ‘dress’. So cute!

That shake will be in my belly this weekend – all of my favorite flavors!

27 spabettie October 3, 2012 at 9:11 am

Basil gets a new costume every year – he loves them :) this year’s is comfortable for him, he doesn’t mind wearing it all day (which he WILL be doing for a while…) ;)

28 Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) October 3, 2012 at 9:11 am

Poop pup! I hope he heals fast, but I’m so glad all turned out well! He is so stinkin’ cute in that costume!

Ok, this treat is happening. You know I can’t resist pumpkin anything!!!

29 spabettie October 3, 2012 at 10:41 am

right? I giggle every time I see him walking around in it… those PANTS. so dang cute.

once again, if you were my neighbor, this could be delivered to your door;)

30 Michelle October 3, 2012 at 9:31 am

Basil’s costume is so cute I want to die – that’s awesome and hilarious that it is doctor prescribed .

31 spabettie October 3, 2012 at 10:39 am

well, they just said a shirt;) but why not?? ’tis the season…

32 natalie@thesweetslife October 3, 2012 at 9:40 am

perfect fall dessert! and a cute puppy too ;) hope he’s back to normal!

33 spabettie October 3, 2012 at 10:39 am

thanks, Natalie! he is getting there, little sweetie. :)

34 Sarah P October 3, 2012 at 12:26 pm

The milkshake looks amazing, but I CANNOT get over how adorable Basil is in his little outfit. So sweet! I hope he’s recovering quickly.

35 spabettie October 3, 2012 at 1:36 pm

thanks, Sarah! isn’t he just the cutest? and thank you – he seems to be recovering well, he is being spoiled today :)

36 Heather @ Better With Veggies October 3, 2012 at 12:28 pm

Oh this looks fantastic! I love shakes and this sounds like a great combo of flavors. :) And I love that Basil gets to wear a tshirt instead of a cone, I’ll have to remember that in case my puppies ever need to wear one again.

37 spabettie October 3, 2012 at 1:36 pm

really! the incision site / sutures are high up, like on his stomach / chest… so as long as a shirt covers, it works better than a cone (and has to be more comfortable!). those cones are so sad, and it usually means they’ve been through so much already :(

38 Stephanie, The Recipe Renovator October 3, 2012 at 1:57 pm

Poor baby Basil! Daisy just got spayed 2 weeks ago and she had a surprisingly slow recovery. She ended up wearing a tshirt too for a few days to keep her from scratching at the rash. And she was very mellow about it, so a Halloween costume is definitely in the works for her!

39 spabettie October 3, 2012 at 2:18 pm

sweet Daisy… hope she is her old (young!) self now! and yes, every pup needs a costume! :)

40 Alyssa (Everyday Maven) October 3, 2012 at 2:13 pm

He looks adorable and I hope he heals quick! He has a good momma taking care of him – he is lucky!

41 spabettie October 3, 2012 at 2:17 pm

thanks, Alyssa! he seems to be doing well so far… :) and we are lucky to have him, too…

42 Purely Michelle October 3, 2012 at 2:25 pm

OMG basil!!! too cute

I was just chatting with Lori about what to dress Jax up as, and she is thinking an alligator as that is his nickname ;)

43 spabettie October 3, 2012 at 2:42 pm

ooh, great idea!! he can have a really long tail… :)

44 Meghan@CleanEatsFastFeets October 3, 2012 at 5:53 pm

What beautiful pictures; the colors looked fabulous together.
Poor sweet Basil…he looks adorable in his costume. My city actually hosts the Spookie Pooch parade this month, and they shut down the Main Street and have a costume parade for the dogs. It’s one of the greatest things I’ve ever seen. I can’t wait for this year’s, and I don’t even have a dog.

45 spabettie October 3, 2012 at 10:33 pm

thank you, Meghan! :)

oh, I need to see if there is some kind of “Pet Parade” around here – seems like a Portland thing to do… ;) it sounds way too cute, I just love all the pups. every last one.

46 Nina October 4, 2012 at 4:57 am

Oh wow, this looks AMAZING!
Thanks so much for sharing. I have some homegrown pumpkin, leftover from last season in the pantry still. This looks like a worthy cause. :)

47 Gillian October 4, 2012 at 9:44 am

Oh my goodness, basil is too cute in that costume.
We’ve tried to dress up our older doxie, Elvis, in an Elvis costume, but he tears it off immediately.
As always, this recipe looks delicious. I can’t resist anything chai flavored!

48 spabettie October 4, 2012 at 9:49 am

oh my GOSH Elvis!! how cute would that be! maybe Elvis would like a costume like this kind… it’s basically just a shirt (with CUTE PANTS!) ;)

49 Eileen October 4, 2012 at 3:31 pm

Ooh, chai and pumpkin, together at last. :) And HALLOWEEN PUPPY!! ! Yay!

50 Shirley @ gfe October 4, 2012 at 4:29 pm

You know how I love Basil man! Poor pup. He looks so good in his costume though, and OMG on the milkshake. Some serious pumpkin happiness there!

xo,
Shirley

51 Roxana | Roxana's Home Baking October 4, 2012 at 6:27 pm

Basil looks amazing in its halloweenie outfit :)
I love chai this time of the year, gotta try your milkshake

52 Lisa Marie @ MidwestVeg October 6, 2012 at 1:48 pm

Wow that shake looks amazing! I’ve put off getting an ice cream maker all summer long (do I really need ANOTHER appliance?) and might just cave now so that I can make this. I’ve seen other recipes for pumpkin ice cream, but yours looks so creamy! It looks too hard to pass up.

Also, Basil is quite the cutie.

53 spabettie October 6, 2012 at 3:38 pm

Lisa Marie, this is the perfect time to get an ice cream maker – they are most likely on sale now! (I got mine in September a few years back…).

and Basil says thank you :)

54 Gerry October 9, 2012 at 3:14 am

you can buy pumpkin ice cream (not vegan, however) so this is what I did LOL. then I followed your recipe for one of the tastiest desserts I will have this season, yowza! thanks from the whole Gerry K family. (Salem, Oregon)

55 spabettie October 9, 2012 at 12:52 pm

good to know there is pumpkin ice cream out there, Gerry! so happy you all liked this – cheers! :)

56 Michelle October 18, 2012 at 8:32 pm

Can you use another dairy free milk? I am not a fan of the coconut milk.

I have a doxie too! I wish my husband would let me dress ours up…..

57 spabettie October 18, 2012 at 8:35 pm

you can use any milk you please – it will still be delicious! and hello fellow doxie family – what is yours named? :)

58 Michelle October 19, 2012 at 6:33 am

His name is Charlie. I adopted him from the Central Texas Dachshund Rescue. I have had doxies my whole life…

59 spabettie October 19, 2012 at 7:32 am

I have grown up with doxies too! we adopted Basil from Oregon Dashshund Rescue, and we’re thinking of getting him a sister soon… :)

60 marla December 13, 2012 at 6:49 pm

Love this recipe! Will be linking back to this in my upcoming post :)

61 Kristina Sloggett December 13, 2012 at 8:09 pm

thanks, Marla – I look forward to seeing it! XO happy holidays!