Triple Berry Raw Cheesecake – Red, White, Blue

Triple Berry Raw Cheesecake

Triple Berry Raw Cheesecake – Red, White, Blue – a colorfully cool and festive cheesecake with fresh berry flavors, perfect for Fourth of July and all summer long!

_____________________________________

I learned about raw cheesecakes in class last month. Wanting to make a red, white and blue dessert for the Fourth of July, I decided to try a layered raw cheesecake. and now I cannot believe I’ve not tried this before, given my love of cashews and how often I use them in raw and vegan recipes.

Cashews are high in fat, and make a rich creamy dessert. Every raw cheesecake recipe I find includes coconut oil, which is also high in fat. Cashews by themselves would make a cheesecake lower in saturated fat, so I took a big risk in making a simple cashew filling – crossing my fingers that it would set up.

Triple Berry Layered Cheesecake

After only three hours in the freezer, it was perfect. In class we also learned the difference between raw and living foods. While the cheesecake filling is raw, the crust includes tempeh – which is fermented and classified as living.

Triple Berry Layered Cheesecake

triple berry layered raw cheesecake

dairy, egg, oil and gluten free, vegan, raw

makes one 9-inch cheesecake

living tempeh cheesecake crust (adapted from my apricot bar filling)

8 ounces Medjool dates, pitted
3/4 cup pecans
1/2 cup hazelnuts
1/3 block tempeh (7 ounce package)
1-2 tablespoons water (as needed)

Combine dates, pecans, hazelnuts and tempeh in food processor, blend until crumbly. Add water if needed to add moisture, help form a ball. Press into bottom / sides of 9 inch spring-form pan.

(cheesecake filling layers inspired by the Vegan Fusion Chef Training recipe)

bottom layer cheesecake

1.5 cups cashews, soaked several hours / overnight
juice of two lemons
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup agave
1/2 cup blackberries
1/4 cup blueberries

Process cashews in food processor, adding lemon juice and acv, blend until creamy. Add agave and berries, blending until incorporated and mixture turns blue. Spread in an even layer over crust, place in freezer.

middle layer cheesecake

1 cup cashews, soaked several hours / overnight
juice of one lemon
1/2 tablespoon apple cider vinegar

Process cashews in food processor, adding lemon juice and acv, blend until creamy. Spread in an even layer over blue layer, return to freezer.

top layer cheesecake

1.5 cups cashews, soaked several hours / overnight
juice of two lemons
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup agave
3/4 cup raspberries

Process cashews in food processor, adding lemon juice and acv, blend until creamy. Add agave and berries, blending until incorporated and mixture turns red. Spread in an even layer over white layer. Return to freezer for several hours / overnight.

Triple Berry Raw Cheesecake - Red, White, Blue

Red, white and blue – great for a Fourth of July get celebration. Our July Fourth get together will also include:

Marcona-sesame dusted tofu

kale chiffonade salad

spiced and grilled corn on the cob

patriotic fruit skewers

double rich chocolate protein cookies

and cheesecake

Have a safe and happy Fourth of July.

Join in a fun discussion this afternoon:

BACARDÍ Classic Cocktails Light is a new line of low calorie, ready to serve cocktails. At less than 95 calories for a 4-ounce serving, BACARDÍ Classic Cocktails Light is available in Pina Colada and Mojito flavors and is made with natural flavors, real juice and pure cane sugar. Whether enjoying a favorite cocktail after a long day or throwing a party, BACARDÍ Classic Cocktails deliver classic cocktail taste that’s a hit with friends, won’t add inches to your waistline and won’t take all day to prepare.

Compensation was provided by Bacardi via Glam Media.  The opinions expressed herein are those of spabettie and are not indicative of the opinions or positions of Bacardi.

Comments

thank you Heather! I was happy it turned out, as many cheesecakes as I have made in my life (a lot!), this was my first raw, and first layered! :)

I’ve never seen a crust recipe that calls for tempeh–too cool and unique! I absolutely love cashew-based “cheese”cakes, but I wait until I visit the family and let my mom make her special recipe–it means I don’t have to shell out the $$ for cashews ;D

Have a great holiday!

I’ve been using the tempeh in my raw bars recipes for a while – it adds a crumbly kind of texture to a creamy (cashew) base. It works here too! :) and I KNOW… my favorite nut of all time is SO expensive. just bought more this morning, $13.99/lb for the raw ones. eeek.

hope you have a good one too, Allie! XO

😀 thank you, Heather! and I thought of you when making this tofu – totally a Heather kind of thing!

I posted my raw vegan cheezecake recipe 3 yrs ago (before I was fully into coconut oil and never used it in that recipe) and it sets up like a champ…soaked cashews, agave, lemon juice. Crust is almond meal, medjool dates, agave. The whole thing is so easy and no setting-up issues. Yours looks absolutely fabulous!

Looks AMAZING…. I LOVE raw/living (hehe, living food, hope it doesn’t bite me back) food, especially desserts… so decadent, but they still feel GOOD ya know? Sounds like you are learning so much in your classes…. FUN.

oh those classes are GOLD. I learned a lot, even when cooking things I kindof already know about, you know? I thought I was a baker, and I learned so many new gluten free baking tricks. I want to take the class again, just because! 😀 I’ve been eating almost completely raw since middle of June, and I feel fantastic! < -- because NO, it does NOT bite back! ;)

This looks incredible! We must be on the same wavelength…I wanted to make a triple layer no-bake cheesecake and attempted last night…I used agar agar and it didn’t set up correctly, a little runny and not-at-all-photo worthy but still delicious (gotta love experiments) so I think I’ll have to go with your version for the 4th since I KNOW this one will work :)

*sigh* I don’t know what it is with that agar agar stuff… never works for me either. I really thought I was taking a chance this wouldn’t work, because even in class we used Irish moss to set up. I’m positive yours was still delicious, they usually are! 😉 This does work, I was so happy!

thanks! I’d be interested in seeing your coconut cream recipe – no nuts in it? sounds delicious!

um, WHAT? a pina colada CAKE? wow and yum! I’ll trade ya, a piece of this one for a piece of that… 😀

thank you Barbara! I was excited that it turned out and looks pretty as well! :) it was REALLY good to connect with you again today – that was a fun chat! talk to you soon! K

yeah, cheesecake always gets me too. and with the lemon juice and apple cider vinegar, it gives it that tangy flavor and is … almost like the real thing! 😉 thanks, Molly, your comments always make me smile!

5. Marty says

Omgosh, this looks divine! Off to buy cashews and soak for this tomorrow! Even have Tempeh on hand, and will make the bars too! Love the looks of the crusted tofu too, can not wait for that recipe, and the kale chiffonade salad, my fresh garden kale is waiting for that!

Have a fantabulous 4th, and thanks for sharing a dessert to celebrate! Oh, thinking of other flavors to adapt this for other holidays!

oh Marty, I hope you love all of them! that kale, OH MY that kale… I have been making it nearly every day, it’s a good one. :) the tofu is coming soon too…

have fun with the cheesecake – and yes, I was already thinking of different flavors, colors too! great minds, I guess. 😉 Happy 4th to you and yours – be safe and have fun!

Okay this is pure genius. Plus it’s just pretty as can be. I’ve never tried raw cheesecake before. I need to add this to my list of recipes to try out.

7. Tamara says

Hi there,

im really looking forward to trying this recipe. Just a question tho, how much is “1/3 block” of Tempeh? Im in Australia so Im not sure how your tempeh comes packed over there!

thanks :o)

huh. i had never heard of raw cheesecake until now – very informative and it looks great. i am also excited about that tofu! :) – sometimes a girl just needs to tofu it up!

Small side note: Tomorrow (wed) is the very first posting for our Fresh Foods Link Up! Come share your CSA collections, farmer’s market treasures, home grown/raised hauls, and/or any seasonal recipes or DIY projects or tutorials! We’ve got a way for bloggers AND blog readers to participate!

tofu coming soon! I will definitely come check out the Fresh Foods link up – perhaps this raw cheesecake fits as seasonal? I’ll be there!

OMG that looks SO GOOD!!! Again! LOL! And I love grilled corn, I haven’t tried it that way before and now it’s the only way I will eat it!

• Kristina Sloggett says

oh, Rebecca, so sorry I didn’t see this before the 4th! I did make it ahead of time, and took it out the day before, moving it to the fridge. Did you make it? I hope it went well, and that you had a fantastic 4th weekend!

10. Caitlin says

Thank you for the cheesecake recipe without coconut oil!! I do not like everything I eat to taste like coconuts or bananas and vegan/raw recipes heavily rely on coconut and banana which gets really old, really fast. Good to know it will still set up without the coconut oil!!

Trackbacks