Double Rich Chocolate Protein Cookies

Double Rich Chocolate Protein Cookies have a short list of real food ingredients, with layers of chocolate to make a protein snack a deliciously sweet one.

Double Rich Chocolate Protein Cookies

When do I not crave a cookie?

When I finish a workout, sometimes I cannot even wait for the blender to whip up a recovery smoothie – and if I am leaving the gym, these protein cookies are in my car waiting! (Bonus if it is warm and sunny out, the chocolate chips melt a bit – oooh).

Plus, these are just good cookies. These you have to make yourself, but they are very easy and oh, so good. The chocolate chunks are really a must.

Double Rich Chocolate Protein Cookies

Double Rich Chocolate Protein Cookies

vegan, gluten free, no sugar added

makes 12 golf ball size cookies

1 can chickpeas, drained, rinsed and peeled
2-3 tablespoons water
1/3 cup + 1 tablespoon plant based protein powder
3/4 cup chocolate chunks

In food processor or blender, puree chickpeas. Add water and protein powder, blend. It should form a ball of dough, if it is still crumbly, add a tiny amount of water, a teaspoon at a time. Process – it should quickly form a dough ball.

Stirring by hand, add chocolate chunks. Form into 1-inch balls. Bake at 350 for 15 minutes.

Double Rich Chocolate Protein Cookies

These taste great fresh and warm right out of the oven, and after they are cooled. I suggest you try one each way…

The dough of this cookie is not very sweet, which I like, but some may prefer to add sweetener. I used a large amount of chocolate chunks, which to me is a nice flavor contrast to the not so sweet dough.

I know, it has been a while since I made any of these too. any protein flavor would work, I’m sure – I’ve made them with vanilla and berry flavors before…

hee, you are so good to my seo, my friend. 😀 good TO it and good FOR it! I vote Balls for Breakfast anytime – perhaps a new category here? 😉

not really, when you add the chocolate chunks that is the main flavor. some people LOVE these, some do not… maybe start with a half recipe, using the rest of the beans for something else? you can’t really taste the bean, but they are a milder flavor cookie the way my recipe is, with no added sugar (you could add some to mask it more).

I need to make these!!!! LOVE the idea of the chickpea style cookie! I am actually going to try to make these, but a different flavor! Hope you don’t mind!!! <3

Happy Weekend to you 3 loves over there!

Hi to your dad! Please tell him I am sending prayers and love, I know I don't know him personally but I know he is a wonderful man because he has a wonderful daughter! <3

oh, katie, thank you! I actually HAVE told Dad about you, that he has a wonderful person across the country pulling for him! <3

I hope you DO make these - I thought of you when I made them, and know you'd like them!!

I am a BIG FAN of chickpea cookies!! I haven’t ever made them using protein powder, but really love the idea of it.These sound way too easy- and completely awesome. Thanks for sharing the website info, too- I’m always on the lookout for new protein powders (whether I need them or not!) :)

oh Lauren, I know!! I have way too many proteins, and even if I LOVE them, I always want to try new ones! sometimes I have to cut myself off from buying any until I run out of the others! and these cookies ARE easy! XO

OMG another genius conconction from you — LOVE the protein addition!! BTW Jo and I bought that protein cereal from NutritionFix – can’t wait to try it out!! MMMM. I love protein, hehe

oh great, I’m glad you girls bought it, I hope you love it as much as we do! I love my protein too… 😉

jessica, the chocolate chunks I use ARE dairy free/vegan, I don’t know if they are up there in your area? Enjoy Life brand, I think they are called mega chunks? they are SO incredibly good!

4. Laura P says

Best recipes ever!!! I can’t wait to try these and the citrus ones, too. I think I’ll have time this weekend to do both!! Yum!!

• says

So I didn’t have the chance to make them on Friday, but I finally made them tonight. OMG! I could smell the protein powder and was a little nervous, but they are PERFECT!! So soft & moist, Dallas & I both love them!! My substitutions:

1/4 cup Vega natural protein + 2 tbsp cocoa powder {because I didn’t have chocolate protein powder}
        3 tbsp almond mylk instead of water
        added 1 tsp vanilla, & 1 tsp stevia
        used chocolate chips instead of chunks, only because I don’t have any chunks

AMAZING AMAZING!! Everyone should make these 😀

OMG these look EASY and delish to make! One Q, for canned chickpeas, which I have, do you peel them or do they come that way?! how does one peel them? LOL I seriously want to make these today!

6. bitt says

I know someone asked if another protein flavor would work, but do you think another brand of protein powder would work? Like sunwarrior? I can’t do whey or anything with casein, is that why the recipe works or not? They look great and are grain and sugar free which is why I am very very interested!

hi Bitt! yes, I know a dairy free protein would work, that is all I usually use. I have made similar balls with vanilla Sunwarrior (the regular one, have not tried the new one yet) and they turned out well also. and I think you would really like these! some don’t because of the lack of sugar, but I like a milder flavor.

by the way, it’s good to “see” you – have I told you I miss reading you? :) XO

7. bitt says

aww you are too kind. always reading, not always able to comment. glad to know sunwarrior will work, we just got a HUGE jug of it! if i make these I will do it with my own chocolate, although it might be a melted mess. but a yummy one. 😉

oh I know what you’re talking about – I make my own baking chips that end up being blobs, and if they’re in cookies, they melt. but YES, still good!

8. bitt says

ok thanks for the warning. maybe i will just dip them in chocolate after they are cooked! i have to make my own chocolate as I am sugar-free and only stevia right now.

9. April says

I saw this on Pinterest and these cookies look delicious! Especially in light of these lovely words: “gluten free, no sugar added.” 😀
    My question is about Protein Powder. In the world of Google, there are seemingly thousands or brands/varieties. I know in working with a nutritionist a few years back that most if not all contain a sugar or one of it’s many (toxic, in some circles) friends. Would you be willing to name names if you are indeed using a brand w/o sugar? I’ve never worked with Protein Powder, again because of the sugar; could I substitute a gluten-free flour instead (i.e. rice, chickpea, almond, etc.)?
    Thanks for your help!

hi April,

I apologize if the wording in the recipe misled you, I use “no sugar added” when I do not add sugar to the recipe, and I use “sugar free” when I know the recipe ingredients contain no sugar.

I have made chickpea cookies with (gluten free) flours before, and they do work – I have used rice, almond meal, ap, peanut flour. Some of those recipes also include a nut butter : mint chocolate chickpea cookie or tahini: rosemary apricot tahini bites so you may have to adjust the amounts of flour if you don’t add nut butter, etcetera. The consistency I look for is a dough ball, easily handled in your hands, not too sticky.

I hope this helps, and again I apologize for any confusion.

10. April says

I’m confused and suspect at least some of it has to do with this being my first visit to your website (& not knowing your style/lingo:)!? Sorry! I think you’re saying that the Protein Powder does indeed contain sugar (or friend) though? And you’ve used the gluten-free flours before but not in this recipe?
    Thanks for the help & clarification!

hi April, I am not attempting to hide anything or cause ‘suspicion’.

– no, I did not use gluten free flour in this recipe. I used a gluten free protein powder that I talked about and linked to within this post.

– I labeled this recipe ‘no sugar added’ because of the four ingredients in the recipe, none of them are sugar. (I am not claiming this recipe is sugar free). I do not have the label with me presently, but I am guessing that yes, the protein powder may contain sugar. I have similar cookie recipes that do not use protein powder, giving you options for using gluten free flours like you asked.

hope this helps,

11. April says

Wow, I was not accusing just trying to understand – again, I’m new here and don’t know you. All the best to you.

hi April,

now I am apologizing for misreading your second comment, which I read as “confused and suspect” thinking you meant suspicion. I apologize if I came off defensive (I didn’t feel it, really) when I was attempting to clarify.

This particular recipe as is, no I have not made it with gluten free flour as a sub for the protein powder. The two recipes I linked to in my first reply, those are very similar, using protein powder and nut butter.

Thank you for your understanding.

hmm, it would be a whole different cookie? my first thought was a cashew base, which I use all the time but have never baked? not sure how that would work. worth a try with a quarter batch, perhaps? cashews might work in a no bake cookie…

Can I ask what size can of beans you used? I just made this up with a 15 ounce can and they are so wet… but going to bake in a cake pan and see how they turn out… added a bit of sweetener and the dough tastes good!

hi Elle! I used a 15 ounce can also, and generally with my bean recipes I have to add water (even though this is such a small amount of water) to make them wet enough. The only thing I can think of here is the protein powder – different kinds must have different density (I am thinking you may not be using the same brand as I?)

but again, even at the pureeing beans only stage, mine are never wet – this is very puzzling. let me know how the “cake” version turns out, I hope things are okay.

Kristina STOP THIS. First it was sriracha, then waffles, then cheese and now…chocolate CHUNKS in protein cookies? A double whammy. I love making protein cookies and I have one recipe which demands chunks. Chunks > chips.

14. Michelle says

I love chickpea cookies!! I have a lot of whey protein powder, but I only have one plant-based protein (Purely Inspired natural vanilla). It has a really STRONG vanilla flavor, so I’m kinda worried to put a lot of it in the recipe. Any suggestions? What brand of protein did you use? I also just bought this Jif PB powder that I think would be amazing in these! (Do you think I could substitute some of the PB powder for the protein? Would using any whey protein ruin the recipe?) Thank you!!!

• Kristina Sloggett says

hi Michelle!

I have made these with a couple different proteins (Sunwarrior, Vega), but you can certainly use your current whey proteins – it should work just fine. I have not used PB powder in place of protein, but you could probably sub PB for a portion of the protein? let me know what you end up doing – enjoy! Kristina