quick and easy classic fudge

I have developed a sweet tooth.

It began while we were on vacation – I remember the exact moment. We were sitting on the beach, and a girl came by selling fresh doughnuts. I said no, but then immediately after she was gone, I wanted one.

I thought of that girl and her doughnuts for days. We moved up the coast to a more private beach, where people selling things didn’t come around as often.

I could not get those doughnuts out of my mind.

I started looking for substitutions – each time we dined out, I ordered dessert. Each time we stopped by a market, I looked at the chocolate. I bought chocolate. I bought de la Rosa peanut confections.

Those are good.

We returned home from vacation. Along with several bottles of tequila and a new piece of luggage we had to check, I brought along my sweet tooth.

Thankfully, my friend Shirley had just the thing for me – a quick and easy classic fudge recipe. She makes hers with egg nog.

I adapted mine to a vegan version, using Earth Balance Soy Free Buttery Spread, dark chocolate cocoa and almond milk. and a stove.

Then I promptly made a second batch, and swirled peanut butter throughout.

Quick. Easy. Microwave + freezer = fudge in your face in under an hour.

Thank you, Shirley, this recipe is perfect!

My sweet tooth loves you.

Comments

Ha, that’s no longer my recipe, but I love how a good recipe can turn into so many things. LOVE your versions, Kristina! Both look divine! :-) Next time I make the recipe, I’ll be making a vegan version, too. πŸ˜‰ Will share your versions on my gfe FB page. :-)

xo,
    Shirley

ha, I suppose technically it is not? gotta give the credit and love where it’s due, though. you are always such an inspiration to me! and this fudge is AMAZING!!

XO!

I know what you mean. I cut these small AND they reside in my freezer. mid afternoon I have one. or two. πŸ˜‰

I made fudge for the first time this holiday season and I couldn’t get over how easy it was. I had visions of hours upon hours and double boilers and confusion swirling around in my head. Definitely happy to find out that wasn’t the case! Going to check out that recipe now :)

yeah you do. you were the other person I thought of (besides Averie) when writing this, I guess you guys make me think chocolate. :)

Was that stove really vegan, though??? ha.

And all this talk about donuts–just don’t read my post for today :) hehe. I must have been reading your mind… Isn’t it funny what cravings do? I was reading a book last year and it mentioned donuts and the moment I could picture it in my head, it was all I thought about/wanted. And at least for me, it would not go away until I finally had one. Isn’t that what you call obsessive? hmmm, I should bring that up in therapy :)

And are you telling us that prior to vacation, you didn’t really have a sweet tooth? If so, is there a place I can return mine and trade it in for a more healthy one???

I’ll have you know my stove is vegan!! okay, uh, 98.337% vegan. Jason sometimes cooks on it.

and no, I cannot tell a lie – it’s not that I didn’t have a sweet tooth, but it was mild. NORMALLY I don’t crave sweets daily, I don’t always have to have them. was it the extra tequila in my system on vacation that made me need extra sugar? I don’t know, but I am changed.

• says

I giggled about the stove. Too cute.

Seriously though, where can I buy a non-sweet tooth? I need help! Any suggestions for weening off the sugar?

It is bad that I discovered how easy fudge is. I found this out right before Christmas and proceeded to make five batches. Dude. Fudge is easy. And delicious. And not very good to eat by the batchful…

I thought of you when writing this up, Averie – the recipe method is totally your style! and thank you, I was happy how these photos turned out. it’s winter, which means DARKNESS in my kitchen these days… *sigh*

Oh goodness girl….once I go and peek at this recipe will I never turn back??? Judging by your pics I don’t think i have a chance. UGH, I leave on Wed for Miami and I know my diet is out the window…how do you travel with no sweets?! hehe

xxoo

Your city has my FAVORITE doughnut and bagel. Not fair!!

How can you go wrong with fudge. I am loving the PB and white chocolate kind too. I am not picky when it comes to the yummy stuff. I like that Shirley uses sea salt. Her site is wicked! Awesome stuff!

let me guess, VooDoo and Kettleman?! πŸ˜€ I love Shirley and all of her creations – glad you checked it out!

I know, it’s a rapid downward spiral. my sweet tooth is not getting any smaller… I wish I could share some with you right now!

thanks, Sarena, it is really good. soon I will be talking about the cocoa powder I use – it is REALLY good and I keep meaning to share… I used regular peanut butter, but peanut flour would be REALLY good here too!

Oh no! I had a similar experience while we were on vacation, but I accepted the treat and then couldn’t get enough of it while we were away! I don’t know what it is called in English (or Spanish, because really… I can’t even say hello in Spanish). It was this jello cream-like dessert made from coconut and probably so much artificial flavoring. It was SO good. My gosh!

well I definitely learned my lesson – fresh doughnuts on the beach?? ALWAYS say yes. later that day I did buy sock monkeys from a little girl on the beach. :)

Fudge is such a childhood memory for me… there’s a little place in my Hometown called the “Fudge Cottage” where you could go and watch them make the fudge. The workers all dressed in ‘olden day,’ clothes, think long gingham skirts, frilly white aprons and cute caps. The men wore suspenders and top hats. Actually, the best memory was all the free fudge samples I would eat…. my poor parents, a tweaking, sugared up Lou :)

I would LOVE to work in a place like Fudge Cottage, old timey clothes and all! Hmm… maybe that’s what Portland needs πŸ˜‰

You had me at fudge!
    Yummmmmm…..I have a big sweet tooth traditionally, which I have been controlling lately—but there is always room for fudge :)

Wow they look gorgeous. I’m starting to appreciate sweets more and more. I’m eating a big-ass cream cheese muffin right now, actually. πŸ˜‰

Oh man. OH MAN. Anything I can A- microwave B- freeze and have in my mouth as soon as possible and C- has chocolate and peanut butter is just my style. :) YUM-O!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

so yum! this Bird has a wicked sweet tooth. I embrace it – just try to make it semi-healthy and natural sugars more of the time than not. chocolate and peanut butter? always room for that.

oh, I suggest you do! this is SO good… so easy, and you can keep it in the freezer! eat a small piece whenever you need one…

hi Kailee – honestly, I just stirred the peanut butter in the jar really fast for a bit, until it was fairly smooth / soft, then put spoonfuls on top of the brownies – spaced a few inches apart. Then took a knife and swirled the peanut butter through, so it would look “marbled”. For an 8×8 square pan of fudge, I used maybe 1/3 cup peanut butter? if you wanted to melt it in the microwave and pour, it could be more like a frosting.

you are most welcome, Verdel! Shirley is one of my favorites, and I know you will find many great things there!