bottles in ice – last minute party idea

Hosting or attending a party this New Years Eve? This is a fun and quick addition to any last minute prep you might be doing.

Start with a bottle of your favorite liquor, and a milk carton that fits the bottle (a pint bottle fits in a quart carton, a 750ml bottle fits in a half gallon carton).

Cut the top off the carton, place (full) bottle inside. Fill with whatever you like – I have used everything from citrus slices or small plastic cocktail monkeys to sequins and glitter. This time I used mandarin, lemon and lime slices. Fit them around the bottle, using a knife to push them all around the bottle.

Fill bottle with water and place in freezer – it becomes a block of ice around the bottle, and a fun centerpiece to your beverage offerings. Remember to have a plate for it to sit on as the ice melts.

Okay, now I *have* to stay up until midnight just so I can make this! Or at least I will stay up until it fully melts…whichever comes first :) So stinkin’ creative, my friend.

Love this idea!!! I saw something similar on Martha Stewart YEARS ago…and hadn’t thought of it ’till I saw your photos. Cheers to that, and cheers to you and more great posts and pictures as we go into 2012.

hi Roz!!

you know, I have been doing this for years (I almost showed a fun photo of me from college…), and I used to want to BE Martha, so I may have gotten this from her? πŸ˜‰

cheers to you too my friend, and happy new year!

it’s just too easy this time, Amy! very little effort and some time for such a fun thing! :) happy new year to you!

the Martinelli’s might freeze, though? you could do this with an empty bottle and then fill it with Martinelli’s! πŸ˜€ happy new year to you too, Krista!! here’s to fantastic 2012!

yes, it eventually does melt. it takes a while, though, and I’ve always placed it on a plate, and it’s not really too much maintenance, just get rid of the water every now and then and/or add a towel. to me, the fun people have with these is worth it :) I’ve made these filled with plastic cocktail monkeys, and those turn into fun on their own, people waiting to get them out of the ice…