Sesame 'scallop' fried rice gives a plant based scallop a taste of the sea with a secret ingredient, and works well with this vibrant and savory vegetable fried rice!
recipe originally published July 22, 2013
I love a good bowl of fried rice. I have a combination of ingredients that combine to recreate that typical Chinese take-out flavor we love so much - mine is plant based.
While shrimp is a typical fried rice protein, scallops are not. I never liked shrimp much anyway. My scallops have a tangy flavor, and more resemble a scallop in texture and looks:
To mimic a sea flavor that magically transforms heart of palm into scallops, I added arame to the sauté. Arame is a sea vegetable I learned about and used in Mark Reinfeld's training, and it imparts a savory, umame sea flavor. The dried shiitake is another favorite I like to pair with the arame - the flavors and textures combine well.
Broccoli, spinach and other greens round out the veggie and protein quotient, and sesame oil brings another Asian flavor I love.
Did you make this recipe?
Follow spabettie on Instagram and tag us with #spabettie
We love seeing your recipe photos and remakes - thank you!
- 2-3 tablespoons sesame oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced fine
- 1 can heart of palm, drained
- ⅓ cup dried arame
- 1 sweet onion, chopped
- 1 to 1 ½ cups snap peas, cut in half
- 2 cups fresh baby spinach
- 2-3 trees broccoli, chopped
- ½ box silken tofu
- ½ tablespoon turmeric
- ½ tablespoon onion powder
- 4 servings cooked brown rice
- ⅓ cup dried shiitake mushrooms
- vegan / gluten free soy sauce
- In large pan or wok over medium heat, warm sesame oil and garlic. Sauté heart of palm, arame, onion, snap peas, spinach, and broccoli until soft.
- Whisk silken tofu with turmeric, onion powder and splash soy sauce, add to sautéed veggies. Cook several minutes, stirring often, until the liquid consistency cooks off to solid, tofu will cling to veggies.
- Add cooked rice and shiitake, stir to combine. Add soy sauce to taste.
egg, dairy and gluten free, vegan recipe
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 334Total Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 285mgCarbohydrates: 41gFiber: 8gSugar: 6gProtein: 9g
nutrition calculations results vary by calculator, are for informational purposes only, and are not intended to replace medical advice or treatment.
Kristina is spabettie! She found cooking at an early age, and created spabettie in 2010 to share vegan recipes. Kristina turned her culinary training into sharing vibrant vegan food! Read more...
spabettie / Kristina Sloggett is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.