this easy vegan Pumpkin Coconut Caramel Sauce recipe will fill your kitchen with warm scents of caramel and autumn – a delicious update on caramel sauce!
recipe originally published September 19, 2013
TABLE OF CONTENTS
Vegan Pumpkin Caramel Sauce
This caramel pairs well with just about anything.
Use it to make Pumpkin Caramel Chocolates at Halloween!
As this slow simmered in my kitchen all day, the warm caramel scent was gloriously intoxicating. As soon as this caramel was done, I immediately made myself a cup of coffee to swirl it in.
How To Make Pumpkin Caramel Sauce
This vegan caramel recipe could not be easier! This is one of those set it and forget it methods with your slow cooker.
Plug in your slow cooker and grab the three ingredients plus spices from your pantry. It takes less than a minute to stir everything together in the slow cooker! Cover, set the time, and walk away!
Get ready to walk back into your kitchen to glorious smells of the season…
Is Caramel Vegan?
Traditional caramel and caramel sauce is not vegan, it is generally made with butter and cream.
This Pumpkin Caramel Sauce is easy to make vegan. This recipe has the rich flavor and texture of caramel because of full fat coconut milk and brown sugar. Pumpkin and warming spices add that wonderful seasonal goodness we all love, and your kitchen will smell amazing while it cooks…
In addition to adding it to all the cups of coffee, Pumpkin Caramel Sauce has since topped pancakes, oatmeal, ice cream, and even hot tea. My spoon is hitting the bottom of the second jar – it is time to make more.
Ways to use Pumpkin Caramel Sauce:
- stir into coffee or tea
- spread on breakfast toast
- use to fill chocolate candies
- add as a sweet component to a savory sandwich
- stir into oatmeal
- ice cream topping
- replace syrup on pancake and French toast
- drizzle over a slice of cheesecake
How Long Does Pumpkin Caramel Last?
Most vegan caramel – pumpkin based or not – stays tasty in the refrigerator for about 2 weeks.
Once the caramel has finished cooking and has cooled a bit, carefully transfer to containers with an airtight seal – these glass Weck jars are our favorite – and allow the caramel sauce to cool completely before sealing.
Store this Pumpkin Coconut Caramel Sauce in the refrigerator.
Vegan Caramel Recipes
- Vegan Twix Cookie Bars: our favorite caramel cookie candy bar is now vegan and gluten free! chocolate and caramel hug a gluten free shortbread for a delicious treat.
- Raw Caramel Apple Cobbler: a fresh and crisp raw version of a sweet cobbler dessert. fun presentation for parties of all kinds.
- Salted Caramel Irish Cream Milkshake: comfort food in milkshake form! make as is or give it a boozy boost with your favorite spirit… cheers!
- Buttery Crunch Caramel Cups: dark and rich in flavor, these can be made with chocolate or carob if you want that distinct tangy variation.
- Pumpkin Caramel Chocolates: this pumpkin caramel recipe is the sweet surprise inside these molded chocolates. you can make any shape, but these skulls are perfect for Halloween:
Vegan Slow Cooker Recipes
This Pumpkin Caramel Sauce recipe comes from my friend Kathy Hester’s fantastic book, Vegan Slow Cooking For Two or Just For You.
This book has stunning photography, and the layout is user friendly – each recipe on one page. More than 100 recipes for a 1.5 quart / 1.5 litre slow cooker means just enough for two, or a portion of leftovers instead of a freezer full.
A wonderful variety – pastas and stews, polenta and French toast. Butternut Squash Pecan French Toast, to be exact. And it is good. So is the fondue, pizza dip, the various curries.
and this caramel – you must try this caramel. Take just a few minutes to combine a few ingredients, come back several hours later to a kitchen filled with rich sweetness.
Don’t forget the ice cream.
Did You Make This Recipe?
Follow spabettie on Instagram and tag us with #spabettie
We love seeing your recipe photos and remakes – thank you!
- All all the ingredients to your slow cooker and cook on low for 7 to 9 hours.
- Store in the fridge and use a few teaspoons (15 to 20 ml) in your hot or iced coffee.
dairy, egg, soy, oil and gluten free, vegan
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- Weck 762 Tulip Jelly Jar SET of 6
- Weck 742 Mold Jar - .5 Liter, Set of 6
- Crock-Pot 6-Quart Programmable Slow Cooker with Digital Timer Stainless
- Thai Kitchen Organic Unsweetened Coconut Milk, 13.66 fl oz (Pack of 6)
- 365 Everyday Value, Organic Light Brown Sugar , 24 oz
- 365 Everyday Value Canned Pumpkin, 15 Ounce
- McCormick Ground Cinnamon, 2.37 Oz
- McCormick Gourmet Cardamom, Ground, 1.75 OZ
- Simply Organic Allspice, 3.07 Ounce
- Weck 742 Mold Jar - .5 Liter, Set of 6
Serving Size:2 tablespoons
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 36Total Fat: .5gSaturated Fat: .4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 2mgCarbohydrates: 4gNet Carbohydrates: 3.6gFiber: .4gSugar: 4gProtein: .2g
Kristina is spabettie! She found cooking at an early age, and created spabettie in 2010 to share vegan recipes. Kristina turned her culinary training into sharing vibrant vegan food! Read more…
spabettie / Kristina Sloggett is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.