this dreamy vegan Dark Chocolate Oat Milk Ice Cream is a luxuriously fluffy, decadently rich, curiously unique plant based ice cream that everyone will love! included: How to Make Oat Milk.
recipe originally published January 13, 2014
Vegan Oat Milk Ice Cream
I am celebrating my new kitchen renovation with ice cream and sprinkles! It is SO good to have a kitchen again! I am also celebrating my newfound appreciation for cooking in a full kitchen.
One thing I have been able to make this whole time, even without a full kitchen?
Milk. My trusty blender has been plugged in this whole time, even when the “kitchen” was located on the dining room table. Cashew milk, vanilla cinnamon cashew milk, almond milk, chocolate almond milk.
I kinda got into it, being unable to cook.
I would find myself slowing through the milk aisle at the store – for inspiration. You know what I found? Oat milk. So. Of course I had to make my own.
Well, I never got to the milk stage. Actually, I just skipped right past milk and made the dreamiest creamiest mousse-iest ice cream I have ever had.
So, so good.
How To Make Oat Milk
Oat milk is luxuriously creamy with such great flavor – one of the best plant milks, in my opinion. Making your own oat milk is incredibly easy. Soak, strain, rinse, add water and blend!
Enjoy this in your coffee, your favorite cereal, or turn it into ice cream…
Ice cream from oat milk is my new favorite treat. If you like a fluffy, mousse like ice cream with rich flavor? That is gluten free, dairy free, delicious?
Look no further. Grab your ice cream maker, a blender, some oats, dates, and chocolate.
Literally all you need. We enjoy this one all year long.
vegan dessert recipes
It’s really good to be back. Thank you for reading.
Did You Make This Recipe?
Follow spabettie on Instagram and tag us with #spabettie
We love seeing your recipe photos and remakes – thank you!
- Soak oats in water overnight. Strain/drain and rinse completely - oats should be soft.
- In a high-speed blender, combine oats, dates, and 2 cups water. Gradually reach highest speed, blend until smooth. Set aside.
- Finely chop chocolate, add to small saucepan. Heat chocolate on low heat, stirring continually, until completely melted. Remove from heat, allow to cool slightly but not solidify.
- Turning blender on low, slowly add cooled chocolate. Once chocolate is added, blend on high once more. Allow mixture to cool before adding to ice cream maker. Proceed using ice cream machine instructions (mine took 18 minutes).
- This gets to soft ice cream consistency in a machine, then takes several hours to set in the freezer.
dairy, egg, nut, oil, soy* and gluten free, vegan
*some dark chocolates use soy as an emulsifier - check ingredient list
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- Cuisinart ICE-21 1.5 Quart Frozen Yogurt-Ice Cream Maker (White)
- Vitamix 5300 Blender, Professional 64 oz. Low-Profile Container
- Enjoy Life Semi-sweet Chocolate Mini Chips Pck of 2 (Packaging may vary)
- Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free Organic Old Fashioned Rolled Oats, 32 Ounce
- Terrasoul Superfoods Organic Medjool Dates, 2 Pounds
- Unsweetened Cashew Milk - 32 Fluid Ounces
Serving Size:1/2 cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 57 Total Fat: 1g Saturated Fat: 0g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 0g Cholesterol: 0mg Sodium: 215mg Carbohydrates: 10g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 6g Protein: 1g
Kristina is spabettie! She found cooking at an early age, and created spabettie in 2010 to share vegan recipes. Kristina turned her culinary training into sharing vibrant vegan food! Read more…
spabettie / Kristina Sloggett is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.