this tasty 8 ingredient Spicy Jalapeño Black Bean Soup recipe is quick and easy, hearty and satisfying. perfect for a weeknight meal or a game day weekend!
Jalapeño Black Bean Soup
Do you need a tasty dinner idea that uses ingredients already in your pantry? This quick and easy, 8 ingredient soup packs the protein and layers of flavor. Leftovers for lunch? This Jalapeño Black Bean Soup is the sort of lunch I am thinking about mid morning…
If you love spicy heat, feel free to be generous with your jalapeños. Wanting to keep it on the mild side? If you omit the jalapeño altogether, this is a tasty Black Bean Soup recipe on its own! Enjoy a basic black bean soup with jalapeños as a garnish.
Choose Your Cooking Method
The recipe instructions include several cooking methods: stovetop, pressure cooker, and slow cooker.
We love our pressure cooker. I am always hesitant to add yet another appliance to our kitchen, and was a Pressure Cooker Holdout for the longest time! Once we got one though? We honestly started using it all the time. It really does decrease cooking time, helping you get dinner finished quickly when you need to.
Years ago, I originally made the recipe in a stovetop dutch oven. If your pressure cooker / slow cooker has a sauté function, you literally follow the same instructions, up to bring to a boil. Then you simply scroll down to the cook times for either machine you opted for.
more jalapeño recipes
Kristina is spabettie! She discovered a love of cooking at an early age, and founded spabettie in 2010 to share vegan recipes. As the sole recipe developer and photographer, Kristina turned her culinary training into the best way to spend her days – sharing how flavorful and vibrant vegan food is! She loves dachshunds, karaoke, drums, and travel.
printable Jalapeño Black Bean Soup recipe:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (or water/broth for oil free)
- 1 yellow onion, peeled and diced
- 4 stalks celery, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 3 fresh jalapeños, stemmed and diced
- 1/2 cup uncooked rice
- 2 (15 ounce) cans black beans, drained
- 4 cups (32 ounce carton) vegetable broth
- sea salt and black pepper
- In a dutch oven or pot over medium heat, sauté onion, celery, garlic, and jalapeños until onion is translucent and softened. Add uncooked rice, stirring to coat and combine.
- Stir in black beans and vegetable broth.
- Bring to a boil, reduce to simmer. Cover and continue to simmer, stirring often, for 35-40 minutes – until rice is fully cooked.
- Remove from heat, serve immediately. Garnish with cashew cream / dairy free sour cream and sliced jalapeños.
- PRESSURE COOKER INSTRUCTIONS:
- Follow instructions, using sauté function, up to bring to boil.
- Close and lock lid. Set to manual / high pressure for 20 minutes.
- After a natural release, carefully remove lid.
- Serve with suggested garnish.
- SLOW COOKER INSTRUCTIONS:
- Follow instructions up to bring to boil. Sauté in slow cooker, then add remaining ingredients.
- Cover with lid. Cook on low for 2 hours, stirring occasionally and adding water / broth to reach desired consistency.
- Serve with suggested garnish.
dairy, egg, soy and gluten free, vegan
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- Instant Pot DUO60 6 Qt 7-in-1 Multi-Use Programmable Pressure Cooker, Slow Cooker, Rice Cooker, Steamer, Sauté, Yogurt Maker and Warmer
- La Tourangelle Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil, 25 Oz
- Lundberg Family Farms Organic Rice, White Basmati, 4 Pound
- Black Beans No Salt Added, 15 Ounce
- Better Than Bouillon Organic Vegetable Base 16 Oz, Reduced Sodium
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 274 Total Fat: 8g Saturated Fat: 1g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 5g Cholesterol: 0mg Sodium: 377mg Carbohydrates: 18g Fiber: 5g Sugar: 2g Protein: 7g
Try AmazonFresh Free Trial for Unlimited Grocery Delivery – add these recipe ingredients to your list. use code FRESH25 for a $25 off discount on your first AmazonFresh order!
spabettie / Kristina Sloggett is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.