This vegan mushroom stroganoff is a hearty, plant based comfort food. An update on the classic recipe with the flavors that everyone loves.
recipe originally published September 25, 2012
Vegan Stroganoff Recipe
Stroganoff is one of those comfort food recipes from my childhood that I needed to update and veganize. This is a classic, cold weather recipe we make often.
The protein in the quinoa makes up for the ... lack of meat. Didn't even miss it.
Also? Spell-check wanted to change stroganoff to strongman. The other day it changed mirepoix to firepower.
Did you make this recipe?
Follow spabettie on Instagram and tag us with #spabettie
We love seeing your recipe photos and remakes - thank you!
- 1 cup dry quinoa
- 1 ½ cups vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons butter (Earth Balance soy free) or olive oil
- 1 large sweet onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 pint baby portobello mushrooms, cleaned and de-stemmed, chopped
- ½ cup vegetable broth
- ½ cup vermouth (or wine)
- 3 tablespoons arrowroot starch (or cornstarch, potato starch, gluten free ap flour)
- splash almond milk
- salt and pepper
- In medium sauce pan, combine vegetable broth and (rinsed) quinoa. Bring to a boil, reduce to simmer and cover, cook for 10 minutes. (Check after 10 minutes, cooking time varies between 10-15 minutes for all liquid to be absorbed). When all liquid is absorbed, remove from heat and set aside with lid on.
- Meanwhile, melt butter in skillet, cook onion until caramelized.
- Add portobello pieces to the skillet, cook until softened (a few minutes).
- Add vegetable broth and vermouth, continue to cook until liquid reduces by half, stirring frequently.
- In small bowl, combine flour and milk, stirring until smooth. Add to onion/portobello mixture, stirring until thickened. Add salt + pepper to taste.
- Serve over warm quinoa.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 319Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 337mgCarbohydrates: 29gFiber: 5gSugar: 5gProtein: 9g
nutrition calculations results vary by calculator, are for informational purposes only, and are not intended to replace medical advice or treatment.
Kristina is spabettie! She found cooking at an early age, and created spabettie in 2010 to share vegan recipes. Kristina turned her culinary training into sharing vibrant vegan food! Read more...
spabettie / Kristina Sloggett is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.