Perfect Vanilla Waffles

in baking, Breakfast, Dessert, Gluten Free, Meatless Monday, raw, recipes, Vegan

Perfect Vegan Waffles

I had an impromptu Virtual Breakfast on Saturday morning. Friday night, I stayed in to relax with the dogs and watch back to back episodes of Justin Timberlake on Saturday Night Live.

Jason was out playing music, leaving me to JT, browsing the internet – Pinterest for wedding ideas and Instagram to see what everyone was up to. I got in a conversation on Instagram with Somer and Sarah about these Totally Tahini Cups with Coffee Cream Filling – they had both just made them, and Sarah said she doubled the recipe and ended up with leftover filling. She said she was going to spread it on toast.

Mind Blown.

I said – wouldn’t the entire Totally Tahini Cup WITH filling be good to melt on toast? on a bagel? or *gasp* – a waffle?

Vegan Waffle Recipe

Somer agreed, thankful she had some to top a waffle with – and asked if I was in?

I was indeed – I hopped up and made another batch of the Totally Tahini Cups right then and there, while JT sang a skit about Veganville. It was meant to be. Also? They melted perfectly.

Take a piping hot waffle right off the iron and top it with one Totally Tahini Cup. Instant melty goodness.

Also? These photos cannot convey just how fluffy and light these waffles are – while still being vegan and gluten free. I am always so excited about these waffles when I make them.

Tahini Date Waffles

perfect vanilla waffles

dairy, egg, soy and gluten free, vegan

makes 3-4 (Belgian style) waffles

1 cup gluten free all purpose flour
1 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon xanthan gum
1 teaspoon cinnamon
pinch sea salt
1/2 cup club soda
1/2 cup coconut milk (carton)
2 tablespoons coconut oil
2 tablespoons agave
1 tablespoon vanilla paste

Sift together flour, baking powder, xanthan gum, cinnamon, and salt. Add soda, milk, oil, agave, and vanilla, stirring until just combined. Pour 1/3 to 1/2 cup into middle of prepared waffle iron (depending on size of iron). Close and cook per machine instructions. I cooked mine about 3-4 minutes on one side, flipping and cooking another minute (using a waffle iron that flips).

Best Waffles

and with that, Virtual Breakfast is born.

Today’s Meatless Monday ingredient is unbleached flour – the only thing I have in my kitchen, and what I used in this waffle recipe! Visit Heather to see what others did with flour…

I shared this recipe with Healthy Vegan Fridays.

1 Heather (Where's the Beach) April 14, 2014 at 5:19 am

These waffles just look amazing. Every time you post something about waffles I feel the urge to eat waffles, something I never do!

2 Kristina Sloggett April 14, 2014 at 9:14 am

I go in waffle phases ;) if you make some soon, PLEASE try this recipe – it is SO light and fluffy! :)

3 Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table April 14, 2014 at 8:36 am

This looks so good. I really do need to break down a get a waffle iron. Must donate a few kitchen items to make room! That said… do you know if waffle recipes can be used to make pancakes or are they too liquid-y?

Pinning that tahini cup. I’ve been just stuffing dates with tahini as pre-workout, but these cups would be more fun. That may happen tonight!

4 Kristina Sloggett April 14, 2014 at 9:14 am

THIS waffle recipe is not too liquidy – I have not tried it as a pancake, but I should. these are SERIOUSLY so incredibly fluffy and light, my favorite and only recipe from here on out! this batter is more of a scoop than a pour, give it a try and let me know how it works! :)

the cups are SO GOOD – and like, 30 minutes start to finish (if you place the bottoms in freezer for 20 minutes before filling and finishing). then make these as pancakes, and save a tahini cup for melting… OOOH.

5 Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table April 14, 2014 at 9:22 am

Thanks!!! I’ll give them a shot this weekend. You rock. :)

6 Kristina Sloggett April 14, 2014 at 9:39 am

woo HOO – I cannot wait to hear how they work! XO now you have a fun yums to look forward to… have a great week!

7 janetha April 14, 2014 at 9:57 am

Yum, these do look perfect. Vanilla paste is basically the best thing ever. Love it so much more than extract!

8 Kristina Sloggett April 14, 2014 at 10:29 am

I KNOW – you’re my Vanilla Paste twin! I have not bought extract in a while, the paste is just so … Mmm.

9 Nicole @ Fitful Focus April 14, 2014 at 12:04 pm

yum! I’ve never used vanilla paste, but I can only imagine it’s amazing.

10 Sarah April 14, 2014 at 1:22 pm

Mmm waffles and you had me at “coffee cream filling”.. YUM!

11 Kristina Sloggett April 15, 2014 at 9:22 pm

RIGHT Sarah??! these Tahini Cups are so SO very good! I want to melt them on waffles, pancakes, toast – everything!

12 Shelly April 15, 2014 at 7:30 pm

What would be a decent substitute for the xanthan gum? Perhaps ground flax and water?

13 Kristina Sloggett April 15, 2014 at 9:30 pm

hi Shelly – with this particular recipe I have not yet tried flax, although I have used (fresh ground) flax as a sub for xanthan before – I do not mix with water, I simply add the ground flax to the dry ingredients (same amount) as you would the xanthan, then mix with the wet ingredients. like I said I have not yet tried with this recipe, but it should work. cheers, hope you enjoy!

14 Shelly April 15, 2014 at 11:21 pm

Thanks Kristina! I know my family will love these! I’m really enjoying your blog!

15 Shirley @ gfe & All Gluten-Free Desserts April 20, 2014 at 7:00 pm

These look and sound fantastic, Kristina! I know that club soda is often the key to perfect pancakes. Have not “exercised” my waffle iron in a while … might be time. ;-) And those JT SNL episodes were the best!

xo,
Shirley

16 Megan April 20, 2014 at 7:16 pm

What gluten free mix do you use?

17 Yum Yucky April 21, 2014 at 9:17 am

Oooo. I had waffles just yesterday. Yours look fantastic. Totally gonna try mine with coconut milk next time. Thanks for the idea! XO!

18 Alden April 22, 2014 at 8:36 pm

How is it that I’m just now hearing of vanilla paste?! I feel like I’ve been missing out my entire life. I can’t wait to try it out and try this waffle recipe!

19 Lisa April 28, 2014 at 11:07 am

These look so amazing! I’ve been craving waffles for awhile now.