Perfect Vanilla Waffles

Perfect Vegan Waffles

I had an impromptu Virtual Breakfast on Saturday morning. Friday night, I stayed in to relax with the dogs and watch back to back episodes of Justin Timberlake on Saturday Night Live.

Jason was out playing music, leaving me to JT, browsing the internet – Pinterest for wedding ideas and Instagram to see what everyone was up to. I got in a conversation on Instagram with Somer and Sarah about these Totally Tahini Cups with Coffee Cream Filling – they had both just made them, and Sarah said she doubled the recipe and ended up with leftover filling. She said she was going to spread it on toast.

Mind Blown.

I said – wouldn’t the entire Totally Tahini Cup WITH filling be good to melt on toast? on a bagel? or *gasp* – a waffle?

Vegan Waffle Recipe

Somer agreed, thankful she had some to top a waffle with – and asked if I was in?

I was indeed – I hopped up and made another batch of the Totally Tahini Cups right then and there, while JT sang a skit about Veganville. It was meant to be. Also? They melted perfectly.

Take a piping hot waffle right off the iron and top it with one Totally Tahini Cup. Instant melty goodness.

Also? These photos cannot convey just how fluffy and light these waffles are – while still being vegan and gluten free. I am always so excited about these waffles when I make them.

Tahini Date Waffles

perfect vanilla waffles

dairy, egg, soy and gluten free, vegan

makes 3-4 (Belgian style) waffles

1 cup gluten free all purpose flour
1 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon xanthan gum
1 teaspoon cinnamon
pinch sea salt
1/2 cup club soda
1/2 cup coconut milk (carton)
2 tablespoons coconut oil
2 tablespoons agave
1 tablespoon vanilla paste

Sift together flour, baking powder, xanthan gum, cinnamon, and salt. Add soda, milk, oil, agave, and vanilla, stirring until just combined. Pour 1/3 to 1/2 cup into middle of prepared waffle iron (depending on size of iron). Close and cook per machine instructions. I cooked mine about 3-4 minutes on one side, flipping and cooking another minute (using a waffle iron that flips).

Best Waffles

and with that, Virtual Breakfast is born.

Today’s Meatless Monday ingredient is unbleached flour – the only thing I have in my kitchen, and what I used in this waffle recipe! Visit Heather to see what others did with flour…

I shared this recipe with Healthy Vegan Fridays.

Comments

• Kristina Sloggett says

I go in waffle phases 😉 if you make some soon, PLEASE try this recipe – it is SO light and fluffy! :)

This looks so good. I really do need to break down a get a waffle iron. Must donate a few kitchen items to make room! That said… do you know if waffle recipes can be used to make pancakes or are they too liquid-y?

Pinning that tahini cup. I’ve been just stuffing dates with tahini as pre-workout, but these cups would be more fun. That may happen tonight!

• Kristina Sloggett says

THIS waffle recipe is not too liquidy – I have not tried it as a pancake, but I should. these are SERIOUSLY so incredibly fluffy and light, my favorite and only recipe from here on out! this batter is more of a scoop than a pour, give it a try and let me know how it works! :)

the cups are SO GOOD – and like, 30 minutes start to finish (if you place the bottoms in freezer for 20 minutes before filling and finishing). then make these as pancakes, and save a tahini cup for melting… OOOH.

• Kristina Sloggett says

I KNOW – you’re my Vanilla Paste twin! I have not bought extract in a while, the paste is just so … Mmm.

• Kristina Sloggett says

RIGHT Sarah??! these Tahini Cups are so SO very good! I want to melt them on waffles, pancakes, toast – everything!

• Kristina Sloggett says

hi Shelly – with this particular recipe I have not yet tried flax, although I have used (fresh ground) flax as a sub for xanthan before – I do not mix with water, I simply add the ground flax to the dry ingredients (same amount) as you would the xanthan, then mix with the wet ingredients. like I said I have not yet tried with this recipe, but it should work. cheers, hope you enjoy!

How is it that I’m just now hearing of vanilla paste?! I feel like I’ve been missing out my entire life. I can’t wait to try it out and try this waffle recipe!

Trackbacks

1. […] month the ingredients were Unbleached Flour and Vanilla. Going through the recipes submitted I saw Spabettie’s Perfect Vanilla Waffles that were made using club soda which sounded interesting to me. The girls love waffles and when I […]