Pulled Porcini Sliders

Pulled Porcini Sliders

Pulled Porcini Sliders – a clever combination of jackfruit and porcini in a sweetly savory sauce – a perfect plant based spin on classic tangy pulled pork.

__________________________________________________________

*tee hee* I love word puns.

I also love jack fruit, it makes the perfect Plant Based Pulled ‘Pork’. Adding a hearty sliced mushroom to the mix really amped up the oomph factor here. Sweet, savory, tangy, spicy – in a mini size slider.

Important Note: the peperoncini is an essential pairing here, please do it. It brings a tangy heat to the spicy sweet, and layering them first on the bottom bun? Not an accident – the peperoncini juice is soaked into the bottom bun (just a bit, no soggy here) and is simply glorious.

Another good pairing? Pickles. Delicious dills – fat slices of delicious dill pickle. Oh, which also pairs well with this:

Pulled Porcini Sliders

Yep, yep, I sure did.

I may have a plant based diet, but I do know what goes on in a really good barbecue joint. Pretty sure there is mac and cheese involved.

and pickles.

Now I cannot choose which I want you to make first! One has that sweet, savory, tangy, spicy thing I was telling you about, and the other has an uber rich comfort food thing going on.

Here’s the plan – make a double batch of the pulled porcini, have it with the tangy peperoncini and colorful purple cabbage.

The next day? Make your favorite mac and cheese and do this thing all over again.

Pulled Porcini Sliders

pulled porcini

YIELD: 4-6 sliders

dairy, egg, soy and gluten free, vegan

INGREDIENTS:

1 tablespoon coconut oil
1 shallot, diced
1 cup organic ketchup
1/2 cup organic molasses
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1 teaspoon liquid smoke
1 teaspoon mesquite powder
1/3 pineapple, skinned / cored, chopped
1 (20 ounce) can jack fruit, drained
5-6 porcini mushrooms, wiped clean and sliced thin

INSTRUCTIONS:

In saucepan, saute shallot in coconut oil. Set aside to cool.

Drain jack fruit, place in large bowl. Using two forks, shred jack fruit into smaller pieces (or chop with knife). Add sliced mushrooms, combine with jack fruit.

In blender, combine ketchup, molasses, vinegar, mustard, smoke, mesquite, and pineapple. Blend until combined completely. Add this mixture to jack fruit, stirring to combine and coat completely.

Return to saucepan, over medium heat, stirring continually for several minutes until heated through.

Serve as sliders, over mac and cheese, stuffed into a burrito (with mac and cheese or breakfast scramble), eat with a fork out of the pan while standing at the stove. The delicious possibilities are endless…

Pulled Porcini Sliders

Mmm. It’s what’s for breakfast. lunch. quite possibly dinner.

SPABETTIE IS A FINANCIALLY COMPENSATED BLOGGER AMBASSADOR FOR THE MUSHROOM COUNCIL, AND IS PARTICIPATING IN THE #MUSHROOMMAKEOVER 30 DAY WEIGHT LOSS CHALLENGE. THE OPINIONS EXPRESSED HEREIN ARE THOSE OF SPABETTIE AND ARE NOT INDICATIVE OF THE OPINIONS OR POSITIONS OF THE MUSHROOM COUNCIL OR MAMAVATION.

I shared this recipe with Healthy Vegan Fridays.

Comments

I love BBQ jackfruit! I made taco long ago… its past time to repeat that one. Love the pineapple add!

Have you eve used fresh jackfruit? That’s what I had. It was so sticky – I thought I’d ruined my knife!

• Kristina Sloggett says

the mac and cheese was an after thought the next day… but yeah, a good one! I think I like the peperoncini version better (because I LOVE those!), but I suppose I could always do that with the mac and cheese, instead of pickles… ha!

• Kristina Sloggett says

PERFECT for a cookout – make double or triple the amount 😉 I am already planning to make it again this week…

• Kristina Sloggett says

YEAH Hannah! thank you – that just made my day. I could definitely eat several right now as well…

• Kristina Sloggett says

hi Nicole – if you have an Asian or International market in your area, that is your best bet. If not, perhaps online?

oh I love the title – gave me a giggle – and your burgers look wonderful – though I am not sure I have ever seen mac and cheese on a burger before – but am sure it would work

• Kristina Sloggett says

thanks JL – I thought of the fun name first 😉 then thought – mushrooms will make this even more hearty. we loved it.

Well, I think I’d like them better without the macaroni, but boy do these look amazing!

And ever since I started working for a magazine and have to come up with dozens of catchy titles every quarter, I’ve become addicted to alliteration!

You know what jackfruit is? I am so impressed- I loved them growing up but got bullied in school because they weren’t apples- I cursed my Asian side then but now laugh at THEM missing out. shredded and mixed with that sauce? Wow. Your brain. Seriously.

• Kristina Sloggett says

ha – my brain. I kinda like how it works too. :) (thanks!) and YES, I LOVE jackfruit!! I have been using it since college, I had a good friend who is Asian, her family owned one of the big Asian markets here in Portland… I’d be at their house and her parents LOVED me, because I was always up for trying anything! I tried my first durian with them (YUM), and so many other things I had never heard of before, like jackfruit! it was a great part of my culinary education.

Kristina,
    This is a very creative sandwich, and I just bet those pickled peppers cap it off. Ever since I first had a fully loaded veggie sub with them I’ve been trying to grow banana peppers without success. The jalapeños do just fine, and I pickle many jars of them each summer that I am then stuck with. But I buy the pickled banana peppers to eat, because they add just the right flavor to so many sandwiches.

Thanks!

• Kristina Sloggett says

I always have at least ONE spare jar of peperoncini in my kitchen, in addition to the open one in the fridge – they are some of my favorite condiment / toppings. Mmm…

• Kristina Sloggett says

eating this out of the pan… yep! you have to taste test, right? the peperoncini really makes these perfect, I think – adds that great tangy flavor…

Trackbacks