Pulled Porcini Sliders

in appetizers, Dinner, Gluten Free, recipes, snacks, Vegan

Pulled Porcini Sliders

*tee hee* I love word puns.

I also love jack fruit, it makes the perfect Plant Based Pulled ‘Pork’. Adding a hearty sliced mushroom to the mix really amped up the oomph factor here. Sweet, savory, tangy, spicy – in a mini size slider.

Important Note: the peperoncini is an essential pairing here, please do it. It brings a tangy heat to the spicy sweet, and layering them first on the bottom bun? Not an accident – the peperoncini juice is soaked into the bottom bun (just a bit, no soggy here) and is simply glorious.

Another good pairing? Pickles. Delicious dills – fat slices of delicious dill pickle. Oh, which also pairs well with this:

Pulled "Pork" Mac and Cheese

Yep, yep, I sure did.

I may have a plant based diet, but I do know what goes on in a really good barbecue joint. Pretty sure there is mac and cheese involved.

and pickles.

Now I cannot choose which I want you to make first! One has that sweet, savory, tangy, spicy thing I was telling you about, and the other has an uber rich comfort food thing going on.

Here’s the plan – make a double batch of the pulled porcini, have it with the tangy peperoncini and colorful purple cabbage.

The next day? Make your favorite mac and cheese and do this thing all over again.

Pulled Porcini Mac and Cheese

pulled porcini

YIELD: 4-6 sliders

dairy, egg, soy and gluten free, vegan

INGREDIENTS:

1 tablespoon coconut oil
1 shallot, diced
1 cup organic ketchup
1/2 cup organic molasses
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1-2 teaspoons mesquite powder
1/3 pineapple, skinned / cored, chopped
1 (20 ounce) can jack fruit, drained
5-6 porcini mushrooms, wiped clean and sliced thin

INSTRUCTIONS:

In saucepan, saute shallot in coconut oil. Set aside to cool.

Drain jack fruit, place in large bowl. Using two forks, shred jack fruit into smaller pieces (or chop with knife). Add sliced mushrooms, combine with jack fruit.

In blender, combine ketchup, molasses, vinegar, mustard, mesquite, and pineapple. Blend until combined completely. Add this mixture to jack fruit, stirring to combine and coat completely.

Return to saucepan, over medium heat, stirring continually for several minutes until heated through.

Serve as sliders, over mac and cheese, stuffed into a burrito (with mac and cheese or breakfast scramble), eat with a fork out of the pan while standing at the stove. The delicious possibilities are endless…

vegan pulled pork recipe

Mmm. It’s what’s for breakfast. lunch. quite possibly dinner.

SPABETTIE IS A FINANCIALLY COMPENSATED BLOGGER AMBASSADOR FOR THE MUSHROOM COUNCIL, AND IS PARTICIPATING IN THE #MUSHROOMMAKEOVER 30 DAY WEIGHT LOSS CHALLENGE. THE OPINIONS EXPRESSED HEREIN ARE THOSE OF SPABETTIE AND ARE NOT INDICATIVE OF THE OPINIONS OR POSITIONS OF THE MUSHROOM COUNCIL OR MAMAVATION.

I shared this recipe with Healthy Vegan Fridays.

1 Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table April 3, 2014 at 6:13 am

I love BBQ jackfruit! I made taco long ago… its past time to repeat that one. Love the pineapple add!

Have you eve used fresh jackfruit? That’s what I had. It was so sticky – I thought I’d ruined my knife!

2 Kristina Sloggett April 5, 2014 at 7:22 am

I have not, I always use the canned in water or brine… hmm, and it sounds like I’d prefer that to fresh? ha! but you know if I find one I have to try that now…

3 Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table April 5, 2014 at 2:55 pm

It’s really good! Just a sticky mess. You can roast the (giant) seeds too, which was delish.

4 Kelsey April 25, 2014 at 4:00 pm

I think if jackfruit is sticky on the outside, it means it’s not completely ripe yet? Something I saw in a video…not 100% sure though, haha.

5 Heather (Where's the Beach) April 3, 2014 at 8:24 am

I have yet to find jack fruit. It was suggested I check an Asian market. Of course, there aren’t any conveniently nearby …

6 Kristina Sloggett April 5, 2014 at 7:21 am

well shoot, Heather, I may have to send you a can or two 😉

7 Heather @ Better With Veggies April 3, 2014 at 8:58 am

Oh WOW these look amazing – I love that you added mac n cheese to the top. Mmmm…..

8 Kristina Sloggett April 5, 2014 at 7:21 am

the mac and cheese was an after thought the next day… but yeah, a good one! I think I like the peperoncini version better (because I LOVE those!), but I suppose I could always do that with the mac and cheese, instead of pickles… ha!

9 Katie @ Produce on Parade April 3, 2014 at 11:47 am

Oh my goodness, I seriously need to find me some jackfruit! Might have to order it online. Yumm, talk about comfort food. This would be great for a cook-out :)

10 Kristina Sloggett April 5, 2014 at 7:18 am

PERFECT for a cookout – make double or triple the amount 😉 I am already planning to make it again this week…

11 Hannah April 3, 2014 at 1:38 pm

Holy moly! I could eat 10 of these right now. I’m pretty sure of it. This BBQ slider is whats up.

12 Kristina Sloggett April 5, 2014 at 7:18 am

YEAH Hannah! thank you – that just made my day. I could definitely eat several right now as well…

13 Nicole @ Fitful Focus April 3, 2014 at 2:43 pm

This looks delicious! Where can I find jackfruit?

14 Kristina Sloggett April 5, 2014 at 7:17 am

hi Nicole – if you have an Asian or International market in your area, that is your best bet. If not, perhaps online?

15 Johanna GGG April 4, 2014 at 2:31 am

oh I love the title – gave me a giggle – and your burgers look wonderful – though I am not sure I have ever seen mac and cheese on a burger before – but am sure it would work

16 Kristina Sloggett April 5, 2014 at 7:13 am

I worked 😉 very messy, but YUM. glad the title made ya giggle!!

17 JL Fields April 4, 2014 at 7:12 am

I love jackfruit! The mushroom and pineapple addition is genius.

18 Kristina Sloggett April 5, 2014 at 7:12 am

thanks JL – I thought of the fun name first 😉 then thought – mushrooms will make this even more hearty. we loved it.

19 Catherine February 18, 2015 at 9:56 pm

This looks absolutely mouth watering! All the flavors going on here sound fantastic. Pinning. xo, Catherine

20 Rachel Cooks February 19, 2015 at 3:39 am

Wow, this looks absolutely amazing – especially with the mac & cheese!

21 Susan February 19, 2015 at 8:26 am

I love the idea of making pulled “pork” with porcini mushrooms! They are one of my favorite mushrooms. I am going to have to try this!

22 Alisa @ Go Dairy Free February 19, 2015 at 2:20 pm

Well, I think I’d like them better without the macaroni, but boy do these look amazing!

And ever since I started working for a magazine and have to come up with dozens of catchy titles every quarter, I’ve become addicted to alliteration!

23 Barrett at Dirty Laundry Kitchen February 19, 2015 at 8:25 pm

cool ingredient list! I love jackfruit but definitely never saw it like this. Very creative.

24 Arman @ thebigmansworld February 22, 2015 at 11:30 pm

You know what jackfruit is? I am so impressed- I loved them growing up but got bullied in school because they weren’t apples- I cursed my Asian side then but now laugh at THEM missing out. shredded and mixed with that sauce? Wow. Your brain. Seriously.

25 Kristina Sloggett February 24, 2015 at 8:05 am

ha – my brain. I kinda like how it works too. :) (thanks!) and YES, I LOVE jackfruit!! I have been using it since college, I had a good friend who is Asian, her family owned one of the big Asian markets here in Portland… I’d be at their house and her parents LOVED me, because I was always up for trying anything! I tried my first durian with them (YUM), and so many other things I had never heard of before, like jackfruit! it was a great part of my culinary education.

26 Kirsten February 23, 2015 at 5:17 am

Kristina,
This is a very creative sandwich, and I just bet those pickled peppers cap it off. Ever since I first had a fully loaded veggie sub with them I’ve been trying to grow banana peppers without success. The jalapeños do just fine, and I pickle many jars of them each summer that I am then stuck with. But I buy the pickled banana peppers to eat, because they add just the right flavor to so many sandwiches.

Thanks!

27 Kristina Sloggett February 24, 2015 at 8:03 am

I always have at least ONE spare jar of peperoncini in my kitchen, in addition to the open one in the fridge – they are some of my favorite condiment / toppings. Mmm…

28 Ashley @ Big Flavors from a Tiny Kitchen February 23, 2015 at 6:44 am

I’ve been wanting to try cooking with jackfruit, and these sliders may just be the thing that pushes me over the edge. Love this combo!

29 Kristina Sloggett February 24, 2015 at 8:02 am

oh I hope you do, Ashley – it is one of our favorites, I just made it again last week!

30 Patricia @ Grab a Plate February 23, 2015 at 6:57 am

Pretty sure I’d be eating this out of the pan! What a great recipe – love the peperocini and pickles!

31 Kristina Sloggett February 24, 2015 at 8:02 am

eating this out of the pan… yep! you have to taste test, right? the peperoncini really makes these perfect, I think – adds that great tangy flavor…