Grilled Cheese Wafflewich Sliders

Grilled Cheese Wafflewich Sliders

Grilled Cheese Wafflewich Sliders – fresh and flavorful sandwich layers hugged by crispy savory zucchini waffles – a perfect bite size for brunch or lunch!

My choosing to be present declaration has reverberated through the internet and in my inbox – and once again I am staggered by this amazing community of bloggers and readers. You get me.

Up first in my new outlook, yesterday I had a conversation with Le Cordon Bleu here in Portland. Completing a baking and pastry degree has been on my radar since college, and I am considering it now. From a very young age I loved to bake, and I think spending a couple years doing just that in a classroom just might be my bliss.

I am going to give it a think and look closely at the curriculum. We shall see. I have two other big ideas if I decide the program isn’t for me right now.

Grilled Cheese Wafflewich

Once again I am here to remind you that April is Grilled Cheese Month.

I know.

One whole glorious month dedicated to grilled cheese.

My first contribution uses a perfectly crispy fluffy waffle for bread, and is stacked with plenty of veggies for the cheese to get all melty on.

Glorious.

Grilled Cheese Wafflewich Sliders

Grilled Cheese Wafflewich Sliders

savory zucchini waffles

adapted from sweet zucchini waffles

dairy, egg, soy, and gluten free, vegan

makes 2 large Belgian style waffles

1 cup grated zucchini
1 cup gluten free all purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder

1/4 teaspoon xanthan gum
1/2 cup coconut milk (So Delicious carton)
1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
pinch salt

In mixing bowl, combine all ingredients and mix thoroughly – vigorously whip by hand. Allow batter to rest several minutes, whip again.

Using a 1/2 cup measure, scoop batter onto an oiled waffle maker. Close and cook per machine instructions. I cooked mine about 3-4 minutes on one side, flipping and cooking another minute (using a waffle iron that flips).

For each slider:

1 crispy lettuce leaf
1 tomato slice
dairy free cheese
1 savory waffle quarter

Slice waffle quarter in half to make two pieces of “bread”. Place cheese on one side of waffle, set on baking sheet and toast in oven (at 350) until cheese is melted and waffle crispy. Stack tomato and lettuce on top of melted cheese, cover with other waffle slice.

Grilled Cheese Wafflewich

Are you celebrating grilled cheese month?

Do you have any favorite grilled cheese combinations?

Comments

I swear I need to move to Portland. We don’t have a Master Veg program, a Le Cordon Bleu program, etc. Plus, no Spabettie either 😉 I would be interested in all and any of those things!

But good luck with your new ventures. I have no doubt that you will rock whatever you decide to pursue.

Presence…should be a virtue, shouldn’t it?! LOVE.
    and I cannot WAIT To see all the grilled cheesy goodness you come up with this month! this looks fab, I need a waffle maker!

• Kristina Sloggett says

I have another cheesy crazy good sandwich coming soon… OH SWOON. this one will not require a waffle maker… 😉

Well, I will now after those pictures! Damn woman! I love waffle sandwiches too! YUM! I was so mad that the Art Institute’s Culinary School started a pastry program right as I was about to graduate. I, of course, couldn’t continue on…I am a baker at heart though. It will always be my thing. I love how I zone out when I bake and it’s the only thing I ever take chances with. I know my flours and how my liquids and leaveners work…it’s kind of spiritual for me. Weird, but true. I don’t know how you do all you do. You are truly an inspiration. xoxo

• Kristina Sloggett says

we have an Art Institute here too, I just received information about their programs (I took a few art classes there when I was in high school – it would be great to return in a different capacity!).

and thanks, girl – I appreciate that. I honestly don’t know how I do it all sometimes – I think I am in auto pilot for some of it 😉 I am hoping for a break soon, though. I can admit I need it.

happy Monday, dear friend! XO

I think it’s awesome that you are following your dreams – so cool to see people choosing happiness!

Happiness for me right now would come in the form of those delectable waffle sammies – can you ship me some? :)

• Kristina Sloggett says

choosing happiness – I wish it were easier for more people to see. I am realistic and know it is not always easy, but there is always a choice in how we approach things, right?

5. madison v. says

These look absolutely delicious! They would go even better with some buffalo wings. Good luck with LCB!

1) grilled cheese waffle sliders?? Genius x1000

2) LOVE the response you got on your post about being more present!

3) you would CRUSH a pastry degree. Just sayin.

These look absolutely divine! Lord knows I love my waffles and my grilled cheese sammies!

Pastry school sounds so exciting! Good for you in taking steps to living the life you want to be leading. :-)

• Kristina Sloggett says

thanks Kristy – we will see, I am looking for a good fit with culinary programs. I love both waffles and grilled cheese – why not combine them? :)

Holy crap, this looks incredible! All that oozy cheese–oh man. It didn’t occur to me that it was grilled cheese month until I saw someone mention it yesterday. I’m so bad at keeping up with all these food holidays and months!

Good luck with the Le Cordon Bleu! You should always follow your bliss. :)

• Kristina Sloggett says

I know – Grilled Cheese deserves a whole month, yes? I definitely don’t usually know/remember many of the food days, but they are fun!

9. Liz says

Kristina,

I’m curious about the Le Cordon Bleu schooling. Are you a plant-based eater for health reasons, without paying mind to the ethical aspect of it? I’m just wondering if your dietary views will be a hurdle to overcome in the program or if it won’t be a concern for you. I only ask because I’ve been interested in culinary schooling but have never found a way to do that while being an ethical plant-based eater. I don’t mean to be nosy! :)

• Kristina Sloggett says

hi Liz,

that is definitely a concern – one of the reasons I said it may not be a good fit. The program I want to do is the Baking and Pastry degree, but I’d still have to be okay with animal products, butter and dairy. I know I could never do the whole cooking school and work with meat – nope. There are other options, I could get more involved with the Vegan Fusion class I took last year, or find others. We will see! :)

• Kristina Sloggett says

hi Katy, my favorite dairy free cheese is the wedges from Daiya – the havarti is my favorite, but the other two are great as well (jack and cheddar). these wafflewiches used a different kind, a sliced cheese of some kind (I cannot recall which one, a rice based I think?). Daiya would have worked well, my store was out at the time!

10. Hanna says

When my husband saw this recipe he demanded that I make it sometime this week.
    When I got up today I noticed that my waffle iron had mysteriously gotten out of the cabinet and onto the counter.
    Guess I know what I am making for dinner tonight, and I am sure it will be great, because EVERY single thing I have made from your blog is!

• Kristina Sloggett says

right, Christine? I mean, thank you 😉 I do this often, make a big batch of savory pancakes or waffles to use for sandwiches… I either have sandwiches all week or just put them in the freezer – ha!

• Kristina Sloggett says

isn’t it fun, Sabrina – when you make a cheese with great flavor and stretch / meltability? ah… enjoy!

Trackbacks