Fresh and Flavorful Avocado Shiitake Spring Rolls

in appetizers, Dinner, Gluten Free, recipes, snacks, Vegan

avocado shiitake spring rolls

We have had some beautiful sunny days recently! It may be cold, and it may even rain in parts of the day, but then the rain stops and the sun comes out, and it is almost… warm.

I am so ready for spring to get here I can hardly stand it. I am already digging out my open toed shoes. It always goes back to shoes, doesn’t it?

I am also working on some house projects – painting walls, painting a couple of furniture pieces, finishing rooms. I know, finally. I’m excited to share some of the things I’m working on – I’ll post photos soon.

avocado shiitake salad rolls

Back to spring.

and food.

When the weather starts getting warmer, I start craving fresh foods. Big salads, more fresh juice, raw foods. Spring rolls!

These are crispy crunchy, fresh and flavorful. I wrap these in the morning and bring with me to the hospital where I can snack on them all day. Perfectly satisfying and one of those foods that just make you feel good, you know?

avocado shiitake spring rolls

Also? Before you rehydrate the shiitake, you should probably do this.

avocado shiitake spring rolls

dairy, egg, soy, and gluten free, vegan

makes six rolls

rice paper wrappers
1 avocado, peeled, pitted and sliced
3/4 cup cooked rice noodles
1/3 cup raw cashew pieces
6 tablespoons spicy almond coconut sauce (plus extra for dipping)
6 large shiitake mushroom slices, rehydrated
1/2 orange bell pepper, sliced into matchsticks

rice paper hydrating technique:

have a large plate/surface ready to fill/roll wrapper (and have fillings prepped and ready!). hold wrapper under water faucet running cool water, getting both sides of wrapper wet. remove from water and while still firm, place on plate and begin to fill – rice paper will soften as it sits, but will not be so soft that it sticks to the surface or rips when handling.

In small bowl, combine 6 tablespoons spicy almond coconut sauce with rice noodles and cashew pieces.

Building rolls: place 3 slices avocado in middle of rice paper. top with 2 tablespoons sauced rice noodles, one slice shiitake and 4-5 slices bell pepper. Roll like a burrito – fold short sides over, turn and fold one long side over and roll / tuck / roll / tuck until completely enclosed.

avocado shiitake spring rolls

Are you ready for spring? Are you covered in snow?

1 Abby February 27, 2013 at 3:53 am

Those are beautiful!
As for spring, BRING. IT. ON. I have to work from home again today because we got hit with another 6-7 inches of heavy wet snow last night and my road won’t be plowed until probably tomorrow. Better safe than sorry, so I’m on house arrest. Ugh. It’s so frustrating, and I’m so ready for warmer weather–and easier commutes!

2 Kristina Sloggett March 2, 2013 at 1:52 pm

you have had so much snow… I cannot even imagine. I’m hoping the warm weather finds you soon!

3 Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table February 27, 2013 at 6:10 am

I am SO bad at working with rice paper… but it doesn’t stop me! These look awesome. and YES for spring time. It’s cold and rainy here. :(

4 Kristina Sloggett March 2, 2013 at 1:51 pm

you should try just quickly running them under water, really! get them completely wet, they’ll still be stiff, place them on the plate to fill, they soften up. much easier to work with :)

5 Heather (Where's the Beach) February 27, 2013 at 6:11 am

I might eat those even with the avocado ;-) They look fantastic. And we don’t have the snow to contend with, but I’m over the 25 degree mornings that’s for sure.

6 Allie February 27, 2013 at 8:30 am

I can’t wait for flip-flops! Yup, it IS all about the shoes ;)

…And the mushroom mustaches.

7 Ashley February 27, 2013 at 9:50 am

These are beautiful! If I can’t have warmer weather, I think these will do :)

8 Eileen February 27, 2013 at 11:10 am

Rice paper rolls definitely scream summer to me. Here in NorCal it is just starting to warm up–although our lows weren’t too low to begin with. :) Raw cashews and almond sauce sound so good with avocado!

9 Kristina Sloggett March 2, 2013 at 1:50 pm

the cashews add a nice crunch to these rolls, I love that part too!

10 Heather @ Better With Veggies February 27, 2013 at 12:02 pm

I’m covered in snow and NOT ready for spring. I know it would be fun to run outside in the warm, but I’m so enjoying the chance to go snowboarding and am not ready to stop! :)

Oh – and these look fantastic!!

11 Kristina Sloggett March 2, 2013 at 1:49 pm

I kinda figured you’d be good with the snow and want it to hang around a while… ;)

12 Jess February 27, 2013 at 12:08 pm

SO READY FOR SPRING!!! We’ve been thinking about home projects too — dying to have freshly painted rooms again, trying to freshen up our place a bit and paint ALWAYS does the trick, I just hate doing the actual painting, can I hire you?? ;-)

13 Kristina Sloggett March 2, 2013 at 1:48 pm

I am painting my office this weekend, a bright color too! :) I’ll come paint with ya – how fun would that be!?

14 jobo February 27, 2013 at 1:34 pm

YUM!! I LOVE fresh spring rolls!! so yummy. these look fabulous. and I have been ready for spring since…September ;-)

15 Kiersten @ Oh My Veggies February 28, 2013 at 7:51 am

I have a big package of rice paper wrappers in the pantry after a failed spring roll attempt last year. I need to make these! And I could probably eat that sauce with a spoon…

16 Kristina Sloggett March 2, 2013 at 1:35 pm

uh oh – failed attempt? I hope the second try goes smoother – I really think my technique of quickly running the papers under water works well – they are easy to lay flat on the plate and continue to soften as you fill them.

and yeah, the sauce… and a spoon…

17 Kath (My Funny Little Life) February 28, 2013 at 12:44 pm

I’m soooooooooo ready for spring! We just had a return of snow last week and it was very icky and cold.

Your spring rolls look wonderfully yummy! :)

18 Kristina Sloggett March 2, 2013 at 1:11 pm

I wish we could sit at my kitchen table together and enjoy these rolls. and conversation. for hours. XXO

19 Amanda Potter Cole April 13, 2013 at 6:00 pm

I found your spring rolls (and blog!) via Pinterest and wanted to let you know that YOU are the reason I finally got over my fear of rice paper!

I made your rolls minus the mushrooms (haven’t gotten over my dislike for them enough yet) on Tuesday and then experimented like crazy yesterday!

I also mentioned you (quite a few times) in my blog today: http://ampcideas.wordpress.com/2013/04/13/new-obsession-spring-rolls/ – hope you don’t mind. :)

20 Kristina Sloggett April 14, 2013 at 9:41 pm

so happy you conquered the rice paper, Amanda! I know it’s intimidating, but it’s actually pretty easy, right? your rolls look great!

21 Amanda Potter Cole April 22, 2013 at 9:31 am

Thanks so much – yes!! So much easier than I expected. They get kind of rubbery to the touch instead of the squishy/melt-into-counter consistency that I was fearing. I think I made about 5 batches in 2 weeks and have gone through all of my almond butter three times over. I also blame this recipe and you for getting back into eating the proper amount of veggies!

22 Tearei April 28, 2013 at 7:33 pm

Made these for our family dinner tonight and they were devoured! (Amidst a potluck full of comfort food casseroles – I’m the lone vegan) :)

The sauce is to die for…I had a feeling it would be, and doubled it from the start – thank goodness!

Was a little worried about the amount of rice products since I have issues with blood sugar, but I checked after eating and everything was peachy.

Had to send the rest of them home with the family or I may have eaten them all night ;) Your directions for the rice paper wrappers worked perfectly. I had not seen these in their ‘dry’ form before, and had definitely never worked with them before, but I didn’t do half bad! Can’t wait to see what I can stuff in them next time….

23 Joan June 19, 2013 at 11:31 am

Where to get the spicey sauce. I,m in Canada. They look delicious,JC

24 Kristina Sloggett June 22, 2013 at 4:31 pm

hi Joan, there is a link to the recipe for spicy sauce. if you mean the sriracha that is part of the recipe, I am not sure where to find sriracha in Canada, but it is an Asian hot sauce that is generally found in the Asian section of condiments. hope that helps, Kristina

25 Ruxandra @Gourmandelle July 14, 2013 at 4:38 am

This looks so good and so healthy! Love it! I featured it on my latest post New Ways to Eat Avocado | 10 Savory and Healthy Avocado Recipes. My readers loved it too!