mulo diye motor dal – split pea lentils with roasted turnip

roasted turnip dal

I know, another dal?

It’s turnip week with Meatless Mondays, and I roasted some turnips.

turnip

I could have stopped there, with the roasted turnips. Have you ever done that, roasted turnips? You should, you really should. I had to stop myself from eating the entire batch, they taste so good.

After publishing the recent book review and that incredible dal recipe, I discovered another blog, Spices and Pisces. Soma commented on that post and gave some suggestions for ghee substitutions. I visited her site and found this recipe for mulo diye motor dal – split pea lentil soup using turnip or radish.

dal with roasted turnips

Mine was less of a soup than it was a bowl of fragrant flavor – which was perfect and we loved it. I followed Soma’s suggestion of topping this with cilantro and pickle – my friend gave me amazing homemade pickles recently – and this was perfect too. I will be topping dal with pickles more often, for sure!

My cooking notes:

I soaked the lentils overnight.

I used 4.5 cups of water to cook the soaked lentils in – and I simmered this on medium heat for 40 – 45 minutes.

I roasted the turnip rather than microwaving it (after chopping into cubes) – tossed in olive oil, salted, and roasted at 325 for 25 minutes.

I also added ginger paste as this cooked – finely chopped / smashed fresh ginger (one inch).

Please see the original recipe here. It was delicious.

roasted turnip dal

To see other turnip creations, visit Heather:

mmaz

Comments

• Kristina Sloggett says

yes, this type of dish is especially comforting here in the cold months – and YES please, go roast a turnip! :)

This looks amazing!!! I haven’t roasted turnips before. I’ve roasted rutabaga and loved it! I feel like I was more adventuresome with the winter vegetables when Tony and I did our eating seasonly challenge a couple of years ago. I need to get back at that and really try more seasonal vegetables. This is definitely going on my list to make! It sounds amazing! Have a great week my friend!

• Kristina Sloggett says

I know, the pickle is something we both looked at each other like, WOW! such a great flavor with the dal. and thank you – wishing you a great week! XO

Hooray, more dal! I’ve had roasted turnips once or twice, but always in combination with other root veg. I could definitely see eating an entire platter, no problem! :)

• Kristina Sloggett says

I will be roasting turnips more often, for sure – I am SO happy I decided to do that, it was kind of a last minute thing … and I will make double next time! :)

Kristina, I love that you are sharing Indian inspired meals. I’ve recently explored — and am slowly becoming infatuated with — the distinct, earthy, satisfying flavors that come with these dishes. I’m excited to give turnips a try soon, and I’m sure the acidic bite of pickle is a great addition to a hearty dal. Even greater is how you elevated brown food to beautiful photographs!

• Kristina Sloggett says

you said it perfectly, Jared – “distinct, earthy and satisfying” – the more I delve into this cooking the more I love it! the turnips were so good – I suggest you make double as you will want to enjoy half of the batch eaten directly off the cooking sheet 😉

and thank you! dal is certainly not the easiest to photograph – must be the pickles that help!

Mmm, yes, I lived on plain roasted turnips all spring! They grow amazingly here–which is why I couldn’t bring myself to buy some for this week’s MMAZ…I just know I’ll have more than I’ll need (or want, by the end of the season…) in just a few months.

I have been to the grocery store at least 3 or 4 times in the past week, just to purchase turnips, roast them, and eat them straight from the pan. [Very few make it to the fridge, from which I will also happily consume them ‘straight.’]

How did I ever forget how yummy they are? Oh, the unexpected wonders of MMAZ.