mulo diye motor dal – split pea lentils with roasted turnip

in Dinner, Gluten Free, Meatless Monday, recipes, Vegan

roasted turnip dal

I know, another dal?

It’s turnip week with Meatless Mondays, and I roasted some turnips.

turnip

I could have stopped there, with the roasted turnips. Have you ever done that, roasted turnips? You should, you really should. I had to stop myself from eating the entire batch, they taste so good.

After publishing the recent book review and that incredible dal recipe, I discovered another blog, Spices and Pisces. Soma commented on that post and gave some suggestions for ghee substitutions. I visited her site and found this recipe for mulo diye motor dal – split pea lentil soup using turnip or radish.

dal with roasted turnips

Mine was less of a soup than it was a bowl of fragrant flavor – which was perfect and we loved it. I followed Soma’s suggestion of topping this with cilantro and pickle – my friend gave me amazing homemade pickles recently – and this was perfect too. I will be topping dal with pickles more often, for sure!

My cooking notes:

I soaked the lentils overnight.

I used 4.5 cups of water to cook the soaked lentils in – and I simmered this on medium heat for 40 – 45 minutes.

I roasted the turnip rather than microwaving it (after chopping into cubes) – tossed in olive oil, salted, and roasted at 325 for 25 minutes.

I also added ginger paste as this cooked – finely chopped / smashed fresh ginger (one inch).

Please see the original recipe here. It was delicious.

roasted turnip dal

To see other turnip creations, visit Heather:

mmaz

1 Andrea Mynard January 14, 2013 at 2:52 am

This looks great, I’m always a fan of dal type recipes and they feel especially right for January frugal, wholesome, comfort food too. And must roast more turnips!

2 Kristina Sloggett January 15, 2013 at 11:44 am

yes, this type of dish is especially comforting here in the cold months – and YES please, go roast a turnip! :)

3 Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) January 14, 2013 at 4:02 am

This looks amazing!!! I haven’t roasted turnips before. I’ve roasted rutabaga and loved it! I feel like I was more adventuresome with the winter vegetables when Tony and I did our eating seasonly challenge a couple of years ago. I need to get back at that and really try more seasonal vegetables. This is definitely going on my list to make! It sounds amazing! Have a great week my friend!

4 Kristina Sloggett January 15, 2013 at 11:42 am

you definitely need to roast a turnip (or five!). such great flavor.

5 Heather (Where's the Beach) January 14, 2013 at 5:33 am

I never cook with turnips. Not eve sure I’ve had them before! I love roasting veggies though so may give it a shot. Jason always likes trying out new veggies and such.

6 Kristina Sloggett January 15, 2013 at 11:41 am

they are SO GOOD.

7 Roz@weightignfor50 January 14, 2013 at 9:23 am

I LOVE this kind of meal!!! Thanks for the recipe Kris! Topping with a pickle? Oh yum!!! Have a wonderful Monday my friend!!!

8 Kristina Sloggett January 15, 2013 at 11:39 am

I know, the pickle is something we both looked at each other like, WOW! such a great flavor with the dal. and thank you – wishing you a great week! XO

9 Heather @ Better With Veggies January 14, 2013 at 11:32 am

Mmmm….this just screams comfort food and warmth – and it’s COLD here right now. I should probably pick either this one or the one from last week so my food week isn’t all Indian though. :)

10 Kristina Sloggett January 15, 2013 at 11:31 am

ha! I could make both in one week and I know Jason wouldn’t mind ;)

11 Purely Twins January 14, 2013 at 11:55 am

this looks so warm and comforting!

12 Kristina Sloggett January 15, 2013 at 11:30 am

it was – warmly spiced and so good… we may just be doing a Dal of the Week around here ;)

13 Soma January 14, 2013 at 12:02 pm

Hey Kristina,

I am so happy to see that you tried the daal. I never tried toasting turnip. Now I have to.

happy blogging,

Soma

14 Kristina Sloggett January 15, 2013 at 11:29 am

thank you, Soma! it was lovely.

15 Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table January 14, 2013 at 12:20 pm

Dal is a favorite. I love that you added higher. I need more of that on my tummy today. Damn flu-bug.

16 Kristina Sloggett January 15, 2013 at 11:29 am

I wish I could bring you some – SO SORRY you’re still not feeling well! hope it goes quickly. XO

17 Eileen January 14, 2013 at 3:02 pm

Hooray, more dal! I’ve had roasted turnips once or twice, but always in combination with other root veg. I could definitely see eating an entire platter, no problem! :)

18 Kristina Sloggett January 15, 2013 at 11:28 am

I will be roasting turnips more often, for sure – I am SO happy I decided to do that, it was kind of a last minute thing … and I will make double next time! :)

19 Jared January 14, 2013 at 5:46 pm

Kristina, I love that you are sharing Indian inspired meals. I’ve recently explored — and am slowly becoming infatuated with — the distinct, earthy, satisfying flavors that come with these dishes. I’m excited to give turnips a try soon, and I’m sure the acidic bite of pickle is a great addition to a hearty dal. Even greater is how you elevated brown food to beautiful photographs!

20 Kristina Sloggett January 15, 2013 at 11:27 am

you said it perfectly, Jared – “distinct, earthy and satisfying” – the more I delve into this cooking the more I love it! the turnips were so good – I suggest you make double as you will want to enjoy half of the batch eaten directly off the cooking sheet ;)

and thank you! dal is certainly not the easiest to photograph – must be the pickles that help!

21 Allie January 15, 2013 at 10:35 am

Mmm, yes, I lived on plain roasted turnips all spring! They grow amazingly here–which is why I couldn’t bring myself to buy some for this week’s MMAZ…I just know I’ll have more than I’ll need (or want, by the end of the season…) in just a few months.

22 Kristina Sloggett January 15, 2013 at 10:42 am

so SO good, I will be doing this more often.

23 Sarah @ The Smart Kitchen January 20, 2013 at 6:26 am

I have been to the grocery store at least 3 or 4 times in the past week, just to purchase turnips, roast them, and eat them straight from the pan. [Very few make it to the fridge, from which I will also happily consume them 'straight.']

How did I ever forget how yummy they are? Oh, the unexpected wonders of MMAZ.

24 Kristina Sloggett January 21, 2013 at 6:00 pm

I know – MMAZ is my favorite – it makes me try things I may not get around to…