chipotle grilled cheese sliders

It. Is. So. Cold. Here.

and there are houses with Christmas trees already up and houses with twinkly lights all over them and lots and lots of merry merry joy joy in our neighborhood. We bundled up after dinner last night and toured the neighborhood – and made plans for our own holiday house decor. This weekend – it is happening.

Back to the cold – did I mention it is cold?

Cold weather = comfort food.

When I made the tomato bisque earlier this month, it was a natural choice to make the ultimate comfort food pairing – grilled cheese. Not just any grilled cheese, petiteย grilled cheese.

These grilled cheese sliders were the ultimate comfort – crispy grilled rolls that are pillowy soft at the bite, warm melty cheese and a surprise spicy flavor from the chipotle.

Mmm.

chipotle grilled cheese sliders

makes four sliders

four small rolls (potato, etcetera)
6 slices of cheese (I used rice cheese slices)
2-3 tablespoons chipotle tomato crema (or chipotle mayo)

Slice rolls in half, spread with chipotle tomato crema. Divide cheese slices among the four rolls (one and a quarter slice each), assemble sandwiches and grill (panini press or grill pan) until cheese melts. Serve with / dip into tomato bisque soup.

Spicy cheesy – the new perfect pairing.

Do you decorate for the holidays?

Comments

I just had a grilled Daiya sandwich the other night, as this weather has me craving warm comfort foods! As for outdoor decorating, yup, I do a little bit for my house. There’s a wreath, a two-foot tall lit snowman, a bit of lit garland and you can see my little tree through the sun porch window. It’s not overly festive, but it’s perfect for me :)

• Kristina Sloggett says

I probably won’t go overly festive either, but I DO have a fun idea for our house lights, if we can pull it off… ๐Ÿ˜‰ and a HUGE tree in the front window, of course…

• Kristina Sloggett says

yes, we love to walk around the neighborhood (brrr!) and see all the lights… I bet we could find new additions every day this week!

• Kristina Sloggett says

ha! I think I decorated more when I lived alone? ๐Ÿ˜‰ like now I feel I should tone it down a bit (before I met Jason my holiday tree was bright pink and everything was sparkly over the top…

Holy yum. I freakin’ love grilled cheese — but have NEVER thought to try it with a potato roll, something I also love. They are so soft and flavorful, and when paired with CHEESE?? food HEAVEN!!

PS its getting cold here too. HATE!

Yummy! I love the grilled cheese/tomato soup combo – one of my all-time favorite go-to comfort foods. It’s been COLD here too so I should probably make this + extra for leftovers :)

• Kristina Sloggett says

you will love this soup, Ashley! Jason isn’t quite a tomato soup fan, and he LOVED it! :) and these sliders, he is still talking about them.

Chipotle cream in a grilled cheese is such a good idea! Must get my hands on some chipotle. We are the most minimal holiday decorating people ever–we literally have a christmas branch. YES. And it is minimal and beautiful. Although I think there may be some lights out on the front porch this year… :)