chipotle grilled cheese sliders

in Dinner, grilling, recipes

It. Is. So. Cold. Here.

and there are houses with Christmas trees already up and houses with twinkly lights all over them and lots and lots of merry merry joy joy in our neighborhood. We bundled up after dinner last night and toured the neighborhood – and made plans for our own holiday house decor. This weekend – it is happening.

Back to the cold – did I mention it is cold?

Cold weather = comfort food.

When I made the tomato bisque earlier this month, it was a natural choice to make the ultimate comfort food pairing Рgrilled cheese. Not just any grilled cheese, petite grilled cheese.

These grilled cheese sliders were the ultimate comfort – crispy grilled rolls that are pillowy soft at the bite, warm melty cheese and a surprise spicy flavor from the chipotle.

Mmm.

chipotle grilled cheese sliders

makes four sliders

four small rolls (potato, etcetera)
6 slices of cheese (I used rice cheese slices)
2-3 tablespoons chipotle tomato crema (or chipotle mayo)

Slice rolls in half, spread with chipotle tomato crema. Divide cheese slices among the four rolls (one and a quarter slice each), assemble sandwiches and grill (panini press or grill pan) until cheese melts. Serve with / dip into tomato bisque soup.

Spicy cheesy – the new perfect pairing.

Do you decorate for the holidays?

1 Mizzzzz November 28, 2012 at 2:51 am

Im sooooo HANNUKAH’ing it up this year.
the child demanded.
I complied.
blue and white lights shall abound :)

2 Kristina Sloggett November 28, 2012 at 9:07 am

aahhh, that sounds perfect – you will have to post photos! :)

3 Gabby @ the veggie nook November 28, 2012 at 4:31 am

Oh wow! I just bought some vegan cheese for the first time a while- I’m going to have to try this!

4 Kristina Sloggett November 28, 2012 at 9:06 am

the chipotle makes this a whole new sandwich – we LOVED them! enjoy!

5 Abby November 28, 2012 at 4:43 am

I just had a grilled Daiya sandwich the other night, as this weather has me craving warm comfort foods! As for outdoor decorating, yup, I do a little bit for my house. There’s a wreath, a two-foot tall lit snowman, a bit of lit garland and you can see my little tree through the sun porch window. It’s not overly festive, but it’s perfect for me :)

6 Kristina Sloggett November 28, 2012 at 9:05 am

I probably won’t go overly festive either, but I DO have a fun idea for our house lights, if we can pull it off… ;) and a HUGE tree in the front window, of course…

7 Heather (Where's the Beach) November 28, 2012 at 5:27 am

I plan to decorate this weekend. It’s fun running lately and starting to see all the decorations and lights going up. And I “need” that soup and grilled cheese for lunch please! ;-)

8 Kristina Sloggett November 28, 2012 at 9:04 am

yes, we love to walk around the neighborhood (brrr!) and see all the lights… I bet we could find new additions every day this week!

9 Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table November 28, 2012 at 6:26 am

Chipotles are the perfect addition with that side of tomato soup. Mmmm!

I’m lame and don’t decorate. But I live alone and putting all that up just seems like too much effort.

10 Kristina Sloggett November 28, 2012 at 9:03 am

ha! I think I decorated more when I lived alone? ;) like now I feel I should tone it down a bit (before I met Jason my holiday tree was bright pink and everything was sparkly over the top…

11 Jess November 28, 2012 at 6:33 am

Holy yum. I freakin’ love grilled cheese — but have NEVER thought to try it with a potato roll, something I also love. They are so soft and flavorful, and when paired with CHEESE?? food HEAVEN!!

PS its getting cold here too. HATE!

12 Kristina Sloggett November 28, 2012 at 9:02 am

potato rolls are one of my favorite fluffy things ;) you NEED to do this.

13 Ashley F. November 28, 2012 at 6:59 am

Yummy! I love the grilled cheese/tomato soup combo – one of my all-time favorite go-to comfort foods. It’s been COLD here too so I should probably make this + extra for leftovers :)

14 Kristina Sloggett November 28, 2012 at 9:01 am

you will love this soup, Ashley! Jason isn’t quite a tomato soup fan, and he LOVED it! :) and these sliders, he is still talking about them.

15 natalie@thesweetslife November 28, 2012 at 10:26 am

my kind of comfort food!

16 Eileen November 28, 2012 at 11:36 am

Chipotle cream in a grilled cheese is such a good idea! Must get my hands on some chipotle. We are the most minimal holiday decorating people ever–we literally have a christmas branch. YES. And it is minimal and beautiful. Although I think there may be some lights out on the front porch this year… :)

17 Cathy @ Noble Pig November 28, 2012 at 7:09 pm

Oh wow, this is what I want for a snack…good flavor combo!

18 Heather @ Better With Veggies November 30, 2012 at 1:37 pm

This is one of my favorite comfort combinations – especially in the cold.

I’m really loving all the christmas decorations and how we get some extra time to appreciate them this year. They are so happy!

19 Kristina Sloggett December 3, 2012 at 1:09 pm

I know, mine too. we finished our house lights and the tree this weekend – so excited :)

20 Shelby November 30, 2012 at 2:03 pm

I am so making these this weekend. Crappy weather + chipotle + cheese = the perfect weekend. gracias!

21 Kristina Sloggett December 3, 2012 at 1:08 pm

I hope you did make these, Shelby – and I hope they made your weekend cozy!

22 Laura (Tutti Dolci) December 3, 2012 at 7:50 pm

I love little sliders, they are the perfect size! Grilled cheese + tomato bisque = heaven!

23 Kristina Sloggett December 4, 2012 at 11:49 am

everyone loves mini food, right? you can eat more of them, right? ;)