Chocolate Bourbon Caramel Truffles

in Cooking Light, Dessert, Gluten Free, holiday, recipes, Vegan

This weekend we saw the movie Lincoln. It was fantastic, even if it was a good fifty minutes over my ideal movie time.

I am kind of a history nerd.

Back in high school AP U.S. History class, when I wasn’t eye rolling over my boyfriend saying my new hairstyle made me look like Sigourney Weaver (he meant it as a compliment – all I could see was Alien), I was soaking up every detail about historical figures like President Lincoln.

One detail I always remember – Lincoln’s supposed great sense of humor.

This movie showcases that sense of humor and storytelling, among other things. Daniel Day-Lewis was excellent (when asked in an interview how he found Lincoln’s voice, he answered with “you don’t know what he sounded like either…”).

Seems he shares that humor.

There were several times through the movie when Jason and I turned to each other and smiled with the choices in actors – Sally Field as Mary Todd, Tommy Lee Jones as Thaddeus Stevens and an awesome James Spader in a delightful political operative role – I won’t say any more, but Spader has a great line when he first meets Lincoln, and Lincoln has a great response.

chocolate bourbon caramel truffles

inspired by Bourbon-Caramel Truffles

dairy, soy, and gluten free, vegan

makes 17-20 trufflesĀ

6 large Medjool dates, pitted
3 tablespoons bourbon
3 tablespoons water
1 tablespoon vanilla paste
5 ounces dark chocolate, chopped
unsweetened cocoa powder, for dustingĀ

In saucepan over medium heat, combine pitted Medjool dates with bourbon. As the dates warm, continually stir with bourbon and mash into a paste, adding water by the tablespoon as needed until a smooth paste forms. Reduce heat to low, add vanilla and chopped chocolate and stir until chocolate melts to a smooth consistency.

Let chocolate date mixture cool, transfer to covered container and refrigerate several hours to overnight. Once cool, spoon small amounts and roll into balls, just under one inch in size. Roll through cocoa powder, return to refrigerator to cool.

These truffles are incredibly decadent – rich chocolate and smooth date caramel with a perfect hint of bourbon. Sometime this week I will be making somewhere around eleventeen batches of these, to include with holiday gifts and cookie plates.

…and a batch for us to enjoy at the movies.

History fan?

Last great movie you saw?

1 CC November 26, 2012 at 4:11 am

oh yum!!

2 lindsay November 26, 2012 at 4:12 am

i know, sally field seems weird as that character, but i do want to see it! and eat these balls…bites!

3 Kristina Sloggett November 26, 2012 at 8:32 pm

I thought so too, actually, about Sally Field… and she was one of those characters that I went back and forth with, not really liking… everyone else was exceptional, though!

4 Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) November 26, 2012 at 5:28 am

I really want to see Lincoln! I love history and presidential history is my favorite! I’m not great at geography, but I love learning about people! I can’t wait to see it! The boys want to go too! Jay LOVES history and Max has the same birthday as Lincoln, so he feels like they have a bond. ;)

Those truffles look so good! Treat season has arrived! I’m so excited!

5 Kristina Sloggett November 26, 2012 at 8:31 pm

that will be fun for you to see it with the boys, then. I want to see it again, it was so good!

“treat season has arrived” < -- I think I said those exact words earlier today! #GreatMinds ;)

6 Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table November 26, 2012 at 6:35 am

I don’t really like movies, but I do want to see Lincoln. Glad to hear it’s worth it!

Chocolate and bourbon are two of my favorite things (next to raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens). Next time you have to come to Colorado too and make some vegan Thanksgiving dessert. :)

7 Kristina Sloggett November 26, 2012 at 8:30 pm

I so wish I could have been there with you all – I would make SO MANY truffles! ;)

8 hima November 26, 2012 at 8:48 am

1. Love Lincoln (and DDL)! Can’t wait to see the film.
2. I have been looking for unusual boozy truffle recipes for holiday gifts. Thank you so much for sharing this one. The date-chocolate combination sounds amazing.

9 Kristina Sloggett November 26, 2012 at 8:28 pm

the date + bourbon part? so good. :) then you add the chocolate? you must practice restraint to get any of this into the fridge to cool… ;) ENJOY!

10 Jessica @ Dairy Free Betty November 26, 2012 at 9:00 am

You kill me with your recipes – you are such a creative chick – these sound incredible!!

11 Kristina Sloggett November 26, 2012 at 8:21 pm

thank you, Jessica – I am extremely happy with these, I cannot wait to give them to people!

12 Eileen November 26, 2012 at 9:34 am

Lincoln does sound pretty amazing. And James Spader is in it?? How did I not know this? Maybe because I don’t really watch movies–the last one I saw in the theatre was The Avengers. But the history nerd–that part definitely fits. These truffles sound great! Who doesn’t want chocolate, bourbon, and caramel in one convenient package?

13 Kristina Sloggett November 26, 2012 at 8:21 pm

I did not know it either, I was happily surprised! his role is a good one. and chocolate bourbon and caramel in one? yes, please, I do, I DO!!

14 Allie November 26, 2012 at 9:35 am

These sound like something my dad would absolutely love (he’s a fan of the boozy desserts), bookmarking these to make when I head home again around Christmas time!

Lincoln is definitely on my to-watch list. Last movie I watched in theaters was the new Bond–it was fun. And good looking. Mmm, Daniel Craig…

15 Kristina Sloggett November 26, 2012 at 8:20 pm

he will definitely love these, then! I am excited that you will make these for him, they are very easy and oh so good…

the movie “was good looking” hee hee, love that.

16 Alyssa (Everyday Maven) November 26, 2012 at 10:48 am

I can’t wait to see Lincoln!! I was loving the previews when we saw Argo a couple of weeks ago. I NEED these truffles tucked into my “sneak-healthy-food-in-the-movies-bag” along with popcorn with earth balance, sea salt and nutritional yeast. yum

17 Kristina Sloggett November 26, 2012 at 8:03 pm

these would pair perfectly with that popcorn… do you sneak treats into movies too? ;)

18 Shirley @ gfe November 26, 2012 at 2:41 pm

I want to see Lincoln! These truffles look totatlly amazing, Kristina, and much healthier than the alcohol-infused ones I make. ;-)

xo,
Shirley

19 Kristina Sloggett November 26, 2012 at 8:01 pm

I am SO excited about these – they really taste amazing and are a bit healthier, right? they don’t taste any different…

20 Anna November 26, 2012 at 2:45 pm

Vanilla paste? Whazthat?

I’m betting it’s not something you buy that is full of sugar, so I’m wondering how I make it?

21 Kristina Sloggett November 26, 2012 at 8:00 pm

it actually is something I buy, I talk about it more here : vanilla paste vs. vanilla extract – it is just a thicker form of vanilla, and can be used in the same amounts in any recipe (so you could sub vanilla extract in this recipe, same amounts).

22 Candy November 26, 2012 at 4:17 pm

I make somethign similar to this one, I use truffles as gifts all the time. Mine have toffee caramel in them and sometimes a cream and cream cheese everyone loves them

23 sippitysup November 26, 2012 at 6:35 pm

Yeah, Yeah. Truffles. Lovely. Go to http://www.sippitysup.com/savory-pies-contest-video-results and watch the video. There’s just 1 day left. GREG

24 Kristina Sloggett November 26, 2012 at 7:51 pm

oh my GOSH, Greg!! thanks SO MUCH for letting me know – you KNOW I was there today, just reading posts backwards, apparently… I have emailed my info, so SO excited for your all of this, especially your book! Cheers!

25 Barb November 26, 2012 at 7:42 pm

these look lovely too much better than sugared

26 Fran November 26, 2012 at 10:42 pm

droooolzzzzz

27 purelytwins November 27, 2012 at 6:30 am

drool ;)
we are so excited to see that movie, as Lincoln was one of our favorites to read and learn about growing up, so happy to hear that you liked it!!!

28 Kristina Sloggett November 28, 2012 at 9:28 am

it was SO good I want to see it again!

29 tree November 27, 2012 at 6:36 am

these sound so good and are beautiful! I cant wait to see Lincoln, thanks for the review but not giving away ;)

30 Kristina Sloggett November 28, 2012 at 9:28 am

well, you can probably guess what happens ;) but no, I won’t talk details, you need to see it for yourself!

31 Mama B November 27, 2012 at 6:39 am

Oooh, thanks for sharing. I have a few gluten free, vegan friends who will appreciate these.

32 Kristina Sloggett November 28, 2012 at 9:27 am

you are welcome, Mama B! I do believe these are one of my new favorite desserts…

33 Alason November 27, 2012 at 6:54 am

I cannot wait to make these, thank you!

34 Kristina Sloggett November 28, 2012 at 9:26 am

you are so welcome, Alason – enjoy!

35 Kate@Diethood November 27, 2012 at 6:55 am

I’m a history nerd, too! I want to see that movie… thanks for sharing your thoughts on it. Now my thoughts on these truffles… oh.my.yumminess. Lord, I could eat that entire batch in one sitting.

36 Kristina Sloggett November 28, 2012 at 9:26 am

you will love this movie, Kate!! I want to see it again!

…and yes, these truffles go fast. ;)

37 Caroline November 27, 2012 at 7:32 am

we saw Lincoln three times so far LOL. I am a history buff too, I think Danial Dey Lewis did a good job!

38 Kristina Sloggett November 28, 2012 at 9:23 am

he really did - do I hear Oscar calling? ;)

39 Heather @ Better With Veggies November 27, 2012 at 9:43 am

For some reason Lincoln is not a movie on my list, although I know everyone wants to see it. Twilight, however, is on my list. Yes, I’m really a teenager. ;)

40 Kristina Sloggett November 28, 2012 at 9:16 am

haa HAA – okay my friend, this is where we can agree to disagree ;)

41 Anna @ Crunchy Creamy Sweet November 27, 2012 at 12:34 pm

Oh yum! LOVE truffles! Your chocolate bourbon and caramel combo sounds like heaven!

42 Kristina Sloggett November 28, 2012 at 9:15 am

they are the truffle form of Heaven, yes. ;)

43 Sherry November 27, 2012 at 8:23 pm

You got me at chocolate…well, and bourbon! LOVE the sound of these. Looking forward to trying them. Came by from An Edible Mosaic. Looking forward to following along.

44 Kristina Sloggett November 28, 2012 at 9:07 am

hi Sherry, great to ‘meet’ you, and look forward to getting to know you! I hope you do try these truffles, they could not be much easier, and they are oh so good! cheers!

45 Carli November 28, 2012 at 10:38 am

I listened to an interview recently where Sally Fields said she gained 25 lbs to do this role. She also said it was her favorite role ever.

Thank you for the recipe! So yummy!

46 Chris November 29, 2012 at 12:47 am

I very much like the sounds of it!

47 Melissa @ No. 2 Pencil November 30, 2012 at 8:59 pm

These look absolutely wonderful. I would be thrilled to get these as a gift!

I was a history major, so Lincoln is on my must see list. Especially now!

48 Kristina Sloggett December 3, 2012 at 1:06 pm

yes, I think you will LOVE Lincoln, then! I want to see it again, it was so good!

49 kristy @ Gastronomical Sovereignty December 3, 2012 at 6:40 am

i ADORE james spader! and bourbon! and you! ;)

also, last great movie i saw: Life of Pi. The book is by far, my favorite book in the world. i adore the crap out of yann martel and all his books. The film FELT like him. it was less violent, but you still got the idea. and the rest of it was so close and clever to the book …. go see it. but read the book first.

50 Kristina Sloggett December 3, 2012 at 12:55 pm

we are planning to see the movie – glad to hear it is *less* violent than the book, but still true to the writing. I love James Spader too, his role in Lincoln was a GOOD one! XO!

51 veganlinda December 3, 2012 at 8:07 pm

I love DDL! I can’t wait to see Lincoln. We have a local co-op theater that has nooch as a popcorn option.

52 Kristina Sloggett December 4, 2012 at 11:46 am

sounds like my kind of theater – awesome! you will LOVE Lincoln, DDL was amazing.

53 Brenda December 9, 2012 at 7:52 pm

Hi,
Recipe sounds so yummy! I only ever worked with chopped dates. If I can’t find the dates you mentioned, would any kind work?
Many thanks.

54 Kristina Sloggett December 9, 2012 at 8:37 pm

hi Brenda, I think any (dried) date would work, chopped probably “melt” down faster into paste! Enjoy!

55 Kimberly from The Hungry Goddess February 1, 2013 at 9:40 pm

I love bourbon – add chocolate and caramel and I am an addict! THANK YOU!

56 Kristina Sloggett February 2, 2013 at 1:37 pm

I know… these are a favorite around here… I make a big batch and keep them in the freezer. they defrost very quickly!

57 marlyse November 8, 2013 at 3:32 pm

What is vanilla paste?? The recipe looks & sounds delicious. I would like to make them.

58 Kristina Sloggett November 10, 2013 at 2:06 pm

hi Marlyse – vanilla paste is a thicker form of vanilla – if you cannot find it you can substitute the same amount of vanilla extract. enjoy!

59 marlyse November 10, 2013 at 2:20 pm

Thank you Kristina. Appreciate that.

60 Mandy November 17, 2013 at 6:09 pm

I made these yesterday. They. were. AWESOME. I did make a couple of changes. I didn’t have vanilla paste so I used extract. I also didn’t have bourbon, so I used imitation brandy flavoring. They turned out absolutely amazing and were surprisingly easy to make. I’m going to make several batches for Thanksgiving and try a few variations, like rolling them in powdered sugar or cinnamon sugar or using different flavorings. Thanks for a great recipe!

61 Kristina Sloggett November 17, 2013 at 9:59 pm

you are so welcome Mandy, glad you enjoyed! happy holidays!

62 Mandy November 24, 2013 at 6:14 pm

Made two more batches tonight – almond and rum. I also have orange, peppermint, and brandy too, so I’ll make three more batches before Thanksgiving. I tried the powdered sugar and cinnamon sugar and I definitely like powdered sugar the best. But they’re all great. This recipe is so adaptable and tasty!

63 Kristina Sloggett November 25, 2013 at 5:34 pm

look at you go!! so happy you are loving these, and you sure are getting creative – all of those variations sound SO GOOD!

cheers – happy Thanksgiving!

64 Dani November 27, 2013 at 7:58 am

Hi
I am planning on trying these today. I want to use cacao powder instead of cocoa and a cacao bar instead of dark chocolate. Do you think it will turn out as good being the less processed form of chocolate?
Thanks

65 Kristina Sloggett November 27, 2013 at 7:20 pm

hi Dani, SORRY I am just seeing this now – I have not made these with cacao, so I am unsure how the result will taste; it may require a few more dates for sweetener is my only thought, I would probably try it! please let me know if you do?

66 marlyse November 27, 2013 at 7:28 pm

I have used raw cacao & processed cocoa interchangeably & have not noticed any difference in sweetness. If anything, it seems the raw cacao is less bitter.

67 Terri Cole December 15, 2013 at 3:40 pm

I have a big tub of the smaller Deglet noor dates. If I sub them for the Medjool, how many do I use? Approximately double the amount? Thanks in advance!