spooky cookie haunted house [protein cookie recipe]

Okay, it is lentils week with Meatless Mondays from A to Z.

With my October theme of Treats and Sweets, I first thought lentils would be the most difficult ingredient this month. But…

Almost immediately I had this idea of a protein cookie haunted house, and it instantly turned into the most fun week.

There’s a ghost flying out of the upstairs window, a couple of glittery bats flying around, and a pumpkin.

Okay, maybe not so haunted. Not so spooky.

Even when I was creating this recipe and testing it, I figured it was more of a ‘Chopped Challenge” style recipe, and not one that I would make again, let alone encourage my readers to use.

These cookies? are really good.

Now I think I may add lentils to many of my cut out cookie recipes. These taste great, and just as easy as any roll out, cut out cookie recipe.

spooky cookie haunted house

dairy, egg, soy, and gluten free, vegan

makes dough for one haunted house and several Halloween cookies

1/2 cup cooked lentils*
2 tablespoons agave
1/2 cup butter (Earth Balance soy free)
1/3 cup granulated sugar (I used coconut sugar)
1 tablespoon vanilla paste
1 2/3 cups flour (gluten free ap)

*to cook lentils: Bring 1 cup lentils and 2 cups water to a boil, cook for 15-20 minutes. Remove from heat, let cool. (lentil package says 2:1 ratio water to lentils, I needed more (gas stove?); I used 1 cup lentils to 2 cups water, then had to add another 1 1/2 cups water with 8 minutes left).

In food processor (with small bowl attachment if available) or blender, puree lentils with agave until smooth.

Cream together butter, sugar, vanilla and pureed lentils. Stir in flour, combine until dough forms, do not over mix. Knead into a ball, cool in refrigerator 10 minutes. Roll to 1/3 inch thickness and cut into haunted house pieces and Halloween shapes (I drew stencils). Bake at 350 for 12-15 minutes, until set. Cool completely before assembling and decorating.

Yep, those bricks go all the way around

To see more lentil creations, visit Heather for Meatless Monday A to Z!

Comments

Cutest. Thing. Ever.
    I’ve tried to do the gingerbread house thing in the past. Epic fail. I ended up with more frosting glue in my hair than on the crooked house that would inevitably collapse, so big props to you!

see, I was wanting to do a crooked house, like, spooky haunted houses look in my mind… don’t think I really got it at all, but it IS still standing, so I’m happy about that – my first house is a success! (cannot wait for holiday gingerbread house making…)

thank you Katie!! it was fabulous… we are still at the beach – I’m hoping this house makes the drive home? :) I’ll tell Dad you say hello! XXO!

You never cease to amaze me! A protein cookie HOUSE and one made with lentils no less — I am so totally impressed, as usual. And now I’m totally craving a cookie with frosting — I make homemade sugar frosted cookies every christmas and can’t wait to make them again, they are SO yummy!

thank you! 😀 this was my first house… I’ve never made a traditional gingerbread house before, now I cannot wait to!

That is one adorable haunted house! And you are way too creative with the lentils challenge, haha. I would never think to go sweet with ’em!

exactly! if I wasn’t posting ALL sweets this month, and participating in the Meatless Mondays A-Z, I sure wouldn’t have! well… perhaps eventually 😉

oh screaming brilliance! Lentils in cookies just sounds right now that I’m seeing it. That’s the best haunted house I’ve seen this year and your tiny red encircling bricks are perfect. Bravo Spabettie!

When you mentioned a protein cookie, I was definitely thinking it’d have protein powder in it. I never would have thought to make lentil cookies! That is just adorable.

thank you, Lisa! I had no idea if it would work, I’m happy I tried it because it worked really well – just as easy as a normal cut out dough!

WOW, that is super ambitious!! But looks great! I always wanted to make gingerbread houses when I was a kid but I think my mom didn’t feel like taking it on, haha… now I can’t eat them but I do like snacking on candy while making things… 😉

Trackbacks