marcona sesame dusted tofu

in Dinner, Gluten Free, grilling, recipes, Vegan

I want to say thank you.

Thank you to all of my readers who are here, reading and commenting, sending emails and tweets and facebook messages – keeping the communication and friendships going when I was not around, when I had no time. Readers who have blogs that I had not been commenting on as much as normal, when I had very little time for blog reading, still coming here to support and encourage and bring a smile to my day.

I appreciate it so much, more than I can ever express.

When Dad was first diagnosed, we were given a treatment plan. As of Friday, that plan is complete. Now we wait for him to heal, to regain his appetite and strength, to see what happens next. For those who continue to ask, who continue to keep us in your thoughts and prayers – you all have been a bright light on this long and dark road – you mean everything to me, and I will not forget it. I will keep you updated.

There is no smooth segue from that, right? I’m not meaning to be somber, in fact I am feeling positive and light and for the first time this year, relaxed.

So, no transition – just a damn good tofu recipe.

marcona sesame dusted tofu

gluten free, vegan

makes 6 pieces

1/2 inch ginger root, peeled and minced
1/3 cup sesame oil
1/4 cup tamari
2 tablespoons rice vinegar
1 block extra firm tofu, pressed
1/3 cup Marcona almonds, chopped
2 tablespoons black sesame seeds
pinch sea salt

Blend ginger, sesame oil, tamari and rice vinegar, transfer to a shallow bowl. Slice (pressed) tofu into two even halves, then slice those halves into three equal sized slabs. Place tofu slabs in marinade, flipping to coat completely. Allow to marinate for at least 30 minutes, to several hours.

Arrange tofu on prepared (parchment, foil, silpat) baking sheet, top with almonds, sesame and salt. Bake at 350 for 15-18 minutes.

This tofu can also be grilled on an outdoor grill, carefully.

Serve over salad, pasta or vegetables, in a sandwich or wrap.

I have shared this recipe with Healthy Vegan Fridays.

1 Heather (Where's the Beach) July 23, 2012 at 5:21 am

I’ve been waiting for this one. It looks amazing! I want to just reach through the screen and grab it.

So glad to hear you dad has finished the therapy. I pray that he heals quickly now and that all is well for him.

2 spabettie July 23, 2012 at 11:48 am

I know you were waiting, there are some others I’m sharing soon ;)

thank you Heather, your daily messages to me are like hugs – the positive energy really helps. XO

3 Abby July 23, 2012 at 5:29 am

I can’t eat tofu, but I did want to pop in and send you more of my thoughts–but only the good ones. Day at a time there, my friend. ;)

4 spabettie July 23, 2012 at 11:46 am

thank you, Abby – your words always move me. …I think about “you need rain to see the rainbows” all the time – I am lucky to have a wise friend like you!

5 jobo July 23, 2012 at 5:47 am

So glad to hear your dad is now on the road to recovery, I am so hopeful for him and sending strength to him and your family! I love your updates, and your positivity and your thankfulness. And your recipes!! I don’t even like tofu that much but this looks really really good! It scares me to try to make tofu myself but this, I might try sometime :)

6 spabettie July 23, 2012 at 11:44 am

Jolene, your comments always make me smile and lift me up! thank you for your continued love our way – it helps, it really really helps.

so, this recipe may make you like tofu? ;)

7 Allie July 23, 2012 at 6:05 am

I’m always wishing for the best for you and your dad–Keep us updated on his healing process!

And oh, crusted/dusted tofu always looks so gourmet–love the dark/light combo that you get with the almonds and sesame seeds.

8 spabettie July 23, 2012 at 11:43 am

thank you, Allie – your friendship and thoughtfulness this year has been priceless to me!

…and the sesame seeds are part of a new condiment I learned about in class – gomasio, which is sesame seeds and salt. very good! :)

9 Nichole July 23, 2012 at 6:46 am

Now you have my attention. WOW! that puts plain breadcrumbs to shame.

10 spabettie July 23, 2012 at 11:39 am

plain breadcrumbs? pssshhh. ;)

11 Ashley F. July 23, 2012 at 6:49 am

Yum! My little one absolutely loves tofu so I’m always looking for new ways to make it. That crust looks amazing!

12 spabettie July 23, 2012 at 11:38 am

the crust makes all the difference, I think.

13 Caralyn @ glutenfreehappytummy July 23, 2012 at 7:02 am

this looks wonderful! will continue to keep you all in my thoughts and prayers:)

14 spabettie July 23, 2012 at 11:38 am

thanks, Caralyn – that means a lot. happy Monday to you!

15 Amber Shea @Almost Vegan July 23, 2012 at 8:15 am

So glad to hear things are going in the right direction. Onward and upward!

16 spabettie July 23, 2012 at 11:37 am

thanks, Amber – I truly hope so!

17 Lora @cakeduchess July 23, 2012 at 8:45 am

I love your positive energy and have been thinking of your dad. I will still keep him in my prayers. Thank you for all your support. This tofu is awesome and I am making it this week for me!xx

18 spabettie July 23, 2012 at 11:37 am

thank YOU, Lora – your support and friendship has been important to me! I hope you like the tofu – to me, the crust makes all the difference.

19 Kristy July 23, 2012 at 9:56 am

I’m happy to hear that you’re starting to be able to relax a bit! I will continue to keep you and your father in my thoughts.

And you’re right- that is a damn good tofu recipe. Good lord, it looks amazing! I love marcona almonds, so this is going on my must-try list. Thank you!

20 spabettie July 23, 2012 at 11:35 am

I love marconas too, I hope you like this one!

21 Averie @ Averie Cooks July 23, 2012 at 10:03 am

oh this sounds so good, and with the corn, yum!

22 spabettie July 23, 2012 at 11:35 am

we are LOVING the fresh corn lately!

23 lindsay July 23, 2012 at 10:11 am

so glad to hear that dad is healing. You know i love your blog but i care about YOU more. <3

24 spabettie July 23, 2012 at 11:34 am

thank you, Linds. your support has been invaluable.

25 Jenn@slim-shoppin July 23, 2012 at 11:08 am

So glad your day is done with his treatments!

My brother has 1 more round of chemo but as of the last check up – there is no sign of cancer – so BIG relief! It’s a hard road, and I wouldn’t wish that on anyone!

I’m hoping your dad is back to his old self soon!

26 spabettie July 23, 2012 at 11:31 am

Jenn that is GREAT news about your brother – we are hoping to hear the same kind of news about Dad. I am hoping he’s back to his old self soon, while he has been strong and positive, it has been a rough time. Chemo is no joke.

27 Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) July 23, 2012 at 11:31 am

Can we put aside my allergy to tofu and just enjoy this amazing dinner? Dang that looks and sounds amazing!

I am so glad that your dad is about to embark on the healing part of this journey. I know all of this has been a huge mental and physical commitment for your family and I am so happy that you all have each other to lean on. You all are always in my thoughts and prayers! xoxo

28 purelymichelle July 23, 2012 at 2:12 pm

Always thinking of you and your family!! Healing…waiting is always hard.

xoxo

29 spabettie July 25, 2012 at 12:01 pm

it IS… we’re healing in the meantime… thank you for your continued thoughts – I appreciate them so!

30 Roz@weightingfor50 July 23, 2012 at 5:17 pm

Big virtual hugs to you and healing hugs to your Dad, Kris. Your family is in my thoughts!!!!!

31 spabettie July 25, 2012 at 12:00 pm

thank you so much, Roz! <3

32 Liz July 23, 2012 at 6:43 pm

Oh, I’m so sorry to hear what you’ve been going through. I’m glad your dad has finished his treatment…and I will say a prayer that he regains his strength and that you get good news about his prognosis. xo

33 spabettie July 25, 2012 at 12:00 pm

thank you SO MUCH, Liz – that means a great deal to me! your prayers are absolutely appreciated, by me and my dad!

34 Lou July 23, 2012 at 9:05 pm

This looks incredible…. what is the difference with Marcona almonds?

You, your Dad and family are in my thoughts…. good vibes, good vibes :)

35 spabettie July 25, 2012 at 11:57 am

whenever I try to explain the difference in Marconas, I look to google for help and all they say is that Marconas come from a specific place in Spain… (like champagne from France or bourbon from… where ever bourbon is from ;) )

the almond looks different, though – lighter in color and flatter. the flavor? OH SO good! creamier, richer, and they are often salted. you should find some, just to try! they are not an “every day almond” that I snack on, more of a decadent treat :)

36 Alyssa (Everyday Maven) July 23, 2012 at 10:09 pm

Sending prayers to you and your Dad! Get him to eat as much healing food as you can!

37 spabettie July 25, 2012 at 11:53 am

right now we are back on feeding through his stomach tube, because he has no appetite, but I am sure it will return soon. all kinds of fresh juices and raw when I can get him to eat! :)

38 katie July 24, 2012 at 3:56 am

This is the BEST piece of tofu I have ever seen! I could probably get Mike to eat tofu if I presented him this, yum!

I am ALWAYS thinking of your dad, say a little prayer and send love to him every day. Thinking of you <3 Always keep me posted <3

39 spabettie July 25, 2012 at 11:52 am

I know, Katie – I appreciate your continued support more than you know, and it does help. you are the best, I’m lucky to know you. <3

40 Mary Pat July 26, 2012 at 4:42 pm

Where do you find Marcona almonds and black sesame seed? Don’t think I’ve seen either.

Keeping you and your family in my prayers. And I’m sorry about your cat, too. :(

41 spabettie July 27, 2012 at 10:56 am

marconas I find at our local store similar to a Whole Foods – and I know Whole Foods carries them too. If you have a store with a ‘gourmet’ deli area of cheeses, olives, nuts… that’s where I would look. black sesame I find in the bulk section.

thank you so much, Mary Pat – that means a great deal.

42 Julie and Brit @ twosaucysisters.wordpress.com July 29, 2012 at 7:57 pm

Mmmm we LOVE tofu! This looks delish, a must make! :) Thanks for sharing!

43 spabettie July 30, 2012 at 9:38 am

thanks, girls! I hope you love it as much as we do – enjoy!

44 Susmitha - Veganosaurus August 19, 2012 at 12:55 am

Looks absolutely scrumptious! I can almost taste the flavors and feel the textures in my mouth. Yum!

Glad that your father is on his path to healing and that you are feeling positive and peaceful.