Marcona Sesame Crusted Tofu

Marcona Sesame Crusted Tofu – brightly spiced with fresh ginger, and crispy crunchy with flavorful Marcona almonds, this will become a favorite salad topper or sandwich filler!

Marcona Sesame Crusted Tofu @spabettie

I want to say thank you.

Thank you to all of my readers who are here, reading and commenting, sending emails and tweets and facebook messages – keeping the communication and friendships going when I was not around, when I had no time. Readers who have blogs that I had not been commenting on as much as normal, when I had very little time for blog reading, still coming here to support and encourage and bring a smile to my day.

I appreciate it so much, more than I can ever express.

When Dad was first diagnosed, we were given a treatment plan. As of Friday, that plan is complete. Now we wait for him to heal, to regain his appetite and strength, to see what happens next. For those who continue to ask, who continue to keep us in your thoughts and prayers – you all have been a bright light on this long and dark road – you mean everything to me, and I will not forget it. I will keep you updated.

There is no smooth segue from that, right? I’m not meaning to be somber, in fact I am feeling positive and light and for the first time this year, relaxed.

So, no transition – just a damn good tofu recipe – Marcona Sesame Crusted Tofu.

Marcona Sesame Crusted Tofu @spabettie

Marcona Sesame Crusted Tofu

dairy, egg, gluten free, vegan

makes 6 pieces

INGREDIENTS:

1/2 inch ginger root, peeled and minced
1/3 cup sesame oil
1/4 cup tamari
2 tablespoons rice vinegar
1 block extra firm tofu, pressed
1/3 cup Marcona almonds, chopped
2 tablespoons black sesame seeds
pinch sea salt

INSTRUCTIONS:

Blend ginger, sesame oil, tamari and rice vinegar, transfer to a shallow bowl. Slice (pressed) tofu into two even halves, then slice those halves into three equal sized slabs. Place tofu slabs in marinade, flipping to coat completely. Allow to marinate for at least 30 minutes, to several hours.

This tofu can also be grilled on an outdoor grill, carefully.

Marcona Sesame Crusted Tofu @spabettie

Serve over salad, pasta or vegetables, in a sandwich or wrap.

printable recipe:

Marcona Sesame Dusted Tofu
Author:
Recipe type: entree
Serves: 6 pieces

dairy, egg, gluten free, vegan
Ingredients
  • ½ inch ginger root, peeled and minced
  • ⅓ cup sesame oil
  • ¼ cup tamari
  • 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
  • 1 block extra firm tofu, pressed
  • ⅓ cup Marcona almonds, chopped
  • 2 tablespoons black sesame seeds
  • pinch sea salt
Instructions
  1. Blend ginger, sesame oil, tamari and rice vinegar, transfer to a shallow bowl.
  2. Slice (pressed) tofu into two even halves, then slice those halves into three equal sized slabs. Place tofu slabs in marinade, flipping to coat completely. Allow to marinate for at least 30 minutes, to several hours.
  3. Arrange tofu on prepared (parchment, foil, silpat) baking sheet, top with almonds, sesame and salt. Bake at 350 for 15-18 minutes.
  4. This tofu can also be grilled on an outdoor grill, carefully.

Comments

I’ve been waiting for this one. It looks amazing! I want to just reach through the screen and grab it.

So glad to hear you dad has finished the therapy. I pray that he heals quickly now and that all is well for him.

I know you were waiting, there are some others I’m sharing soon 😉

thank you Heather, your daily messages to me are like hugs – the positive energy really helps. XO

I can’t eat tofu, but I did want to pop in and send you more of my thoughts–but only the good ones. Day at a time there, my friend. 😉

thank you, Abby – your words always move me. …I think about “you need rain to see the rainbows” all the time – I am lucky to have a wise friend like you!

So glad to hear your dad is now on the road to recovery, I am so hopeful for him and sending strength to him and your family! I love your updates, and your positivity and your thankfulness. And your recipes!! I don’t even like tofu that much but this looks really really good! It scares me to try to make tofu myself but this, I might try sometime :)

Jolene, your comments always make me smile and lift me up! thank you for your continued love our way – it helps, it really really helps.

so, this recipe may make you like tofu? 😉

I’m always wishing for the best for you and your dad–Keep us updated on his healing process!

And oh, crusted/dusted tofu always looks so gourmet–love the dark/light combo that you get with the almonds and sesame seeds.

thank you, Allie – your friendship and thoughtfulness this year has been priceless to me!

…and the sesame seeds are part of a new condiment I learned about in class – gomasio, which is sesame seeds and salt. very good! :)

5. Lora @cakeduchess says

I love your positive energy and have been thinking of your dad. I will still keep him in my prayers. Thank you for all your support. This tofu is awesome and I am making it this week for me!xx

thank YOU, Lora – your support and friendship has been important to me! I hope you like the tofu – to me, the crust makes all the difference.

I’m happy to hear that you’re starting to be able to relax a bit! I will continue to keep you and your father in my thoughts.

And you’re right- that is a damn good tofu recipe. Good lord, it looks amazing! I love marcona almonds, so this is going on my must-try list. Thank you!

So glad your day is done with his treatments!

My brother has 1 more round of chemo but as of the last check up – there is no sign of cancer – so BIG relief! It’s a hard road, and I wouldn’t wish that on anyone!

I’m hoping your dad is back to his old self soon!

Jenn that is GREAT news about your brother – we are hoping to hear the same kind of news about Dad. I am hoping he’s back to his old self soon, while he has been strong and positive, it has been a rough time. Chemo is no joke.

Can we put aside my allergy to tofu and just enjoy this amazing dinner? Dang that looks and sounds amazing!

I am so glad that your dad is about to embark on the healing part of this journey. I know all of this has been a huge mental and physical commitment for your family and I am so happy that you all have each other to lean on. You all are always in my thoughts and prayers! xoxo

it IS… we’re healing in the meantime… thank you for your continued thoughts – I appreciate them so!

Oh, I’m so sorry to hear what you’ve been going through. I’m glad your dad has finished his treatment…and I will say a prayer that he regains his strength and that you get good news about his prognosis. xo

thank you SO MUCH, Liz – that means a great deal to me! your prayers are absolutely appreciated, by me and my dad!

This looks incredible…. what is the difference with Marcona almonds?

You, your Dad and family are in my thoughts…. good vibes, good vibes :)

whenever I try to explain the difference in Marconas, I look to google for help and all they say is that Marconas come from a specific place in Spain… (like champagne from France or bourbon from… where ever bourbon is from 😉 )

the almond looks different, though – lighter in color and flatter. the flavor? OH SO good! creamier, richer, and they are often salted. you should find some, just to try! they are not an “every day almond” that I snack on, more of a decadent treat :)

right now we are back on feeding through his stomach tube, because he has no appetite, but I am sure it will return soon. all kinds of fresh juices and raw when I can get him to eat! :)

This is the BEST piece of tofu I have ever seen! I could probably get Mike to eat tofu if I presented him this, yum!

I am ALWAYS thinking of your dad, say a little prayer and send love to him every day. Thinking of you <3 Always keep me posted <3

I know, Katie – I appreciate your continued support more than you know, and it does help. you are the best, I’m lucky to know you. <3

Where do you find Marcona almonds and black sesame seed? Don’t think I’ve seen either.

Keeping you and your family in my prayers. And I’m sorry about your cat, too. :(

marconas I find at our local store similar to a Whole Foods – and I know Whole Foods carries them too. If you have a store with a ‘gourmet’ deli area of cheeses, olives, nuts… that’s where I would look. black sesame I find in the bulk section.

thank you so much, Mary Pat – that means a great deal.

13. Susmitha - Veganosaurus says

Looks absolutely scrumptious! I can almost taste the flavors and feel the textures in my mouth. Yum!

Glad that your father is on his path to healing and that you are feeling positive and peaceful.