Hot Dog Topping Bar

A Hot Dog Topping Bar is a crowd pleasing summertime party trick – grill up a bunch of dogs, and let your guests choose their toppings and buns – see how creative they get!

Hot Dog Topping Bar - Grilled Onion + Shiitake Dog

We have been grilling several times a week this summer, and loving it!

We recently had friends over for an afternoon of grilling in the sun, and I set up a fun hot dog toppings bar. We got creative and made some great tasting dogs.

Hot Dog Topping Bar - Reuben Dog

The Reuben dog – homemade Thousand Island, chopped pickle, caramelized onions

This was one of my favorites. I love the pickle + onions as an alternative to sauerkraut.

Hot Dog Topping Bar - Italian Parm Dog

Italian Parm dog – homemade mushroom marinara, (dairy free) melted mozzarella

This was Jason’s idea, and wow it was a good one!

Hot Dog Topping Bar - Grilled Onion Shiitake Dog

Shiitake Dog – grilled shiitake mushrooms, caramelized onions

Another favorite of mine, using my new favorite mushroom.

Hot Dog Topping Bar - Mac and Cheese Dog

Cheesy Mac Dog – my (gluten and dairy free!) mac & cheese.

There’s a dog in there, I promise.

Hot Dog Topping Bar

Along with vegan dogs, we had gluten free buns and bun alternatives – romaine lettuce!

Hot Dog Topping Bar

I know, it looks sad. It was tasty!

Other hot dog topping ideas:

Sushi Dog

sushi dog

Caramelized Onion Bacon Dog

caramelized onion bacon dip dog

it is becoming evident that I may have a caramelized onion problem.

Hot Dog Toppings Bar

I just had to take a group photo…

Comments

Hot dogs!! Why do I love them so much? I usually go for the classic dog with spicy brown mustard for the heritagenous NYC street stand experience. :)

Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving a comment on my post! Your toppings look delicious, the reuben dog is really calling to me!

I must admit I’m not a hot dog fan. I think I’ve eaten one in my whole life – after an *extensive* (and very exhausting) shopping tour at IKEA. They offer hot dogs and other stuff at the exit, and I had one and it made me feel sick. The floppy bread, sausage, pickled cucs, and fried onions just made me crave *freshness*. Aah. Sorry to say this!

haa, you know that is totally okay, Kath! :) sometimes it makes me crave that too – I love a good (vegan!) dog every now and then, but definitely can’t eat like this often. and the lettuce wraps in place of buns? those were for ME! 😉 (although many enjoyed them!)

I use a baguette from our local gluten free bakery, New Cascadia. I didn’t include any photos of those, none of them turned out well.

yes, that would be nice, Matt! I know if we had a covered deck area (someday…), Jason would grill out there in the snow! 😀