hot dog topping bar

in Dinner, grilling, recipes, summertime, Vegan

We have been grilling several times a week this summer, and loving it!

We recently had friends over for an afternoon of grilling in the sun, and I set up a fun hot dog toppings bar. We got creative and made some great tasting dogs.

The Reuben dog – homemade Thousand Island, chopped pickle, caramelized onions

This was one of my favorites. I love the pickle + onions as an alternative to sauerkraut.

Italian Parm dog – homemade mushroom marinara, (dairy free) melted mozzarella

This was Jason’s idea, and wow it was a good one!

Shiitake Dog – grilled shiitake mushrooms, caramelized onions

Another favorite of mine, using my new favorite mushroom.

Cheesy Mac Dog – my (gluten and dairy free!) mac & cheese.

There’s a dog in there, I promise.

Along with vegan dogs, we had gluten free buns and bun alternatives – romaine lettuce!

Other hot dog topping ideas:

sushi dog

caramelized onion bacon dip dog

it is becoming evident that I may have a caramelized onion problem.

I just had to take a group photo…

1 lindsay June 24, 2012 at 4:55 am

Oh Jason is genius! i love those mushrooms. But the sushi dog is a close second. So clever!

2 Heather (Where's the Beach) June 24, 2012 at 7:10 am

Um I want the mushroom topping please and thank you!

3 Caralyn @ glutenfreehappytummy June 24, 2012 at 8:03 am

oh my gosh — amazing!! that cheesy mac dog — hello deliciousness!!! and the shiitake dog is calling my name too! what a fun idea for a bbq!!!

4 Amateur Cook June 24, 2012 at 2:54 pm

So hard to choose! But the Italian Parm dog would be my first choice. Then I’d devour all the others.  ツ

5 Cara June 25, 2012 at 8:01 am

YOU ARE TORTURING ME!!! I want a dozen hot dogs for breakfast now :)

6 Alisha June 25, 2012 at 9:56 am

I want to come to the next one! Very creative!

7 Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) June 25, 2012 at 11:46 am

Lettuce wrapped! Now we’re talking!!! YUM!

8 Eileen June 25, 2012 at 12:12 pm

Hot dogs!! Why do I love them so much? I usually go for the classic dog with spicy brown mustard for the heritagenous NYC street stand experience. :)

9 Jessica @ Dairy Free Betty June 26, 2012 at 11:06 am

Oh my gosh – I would devour every one of those!! There is something about hot dogs that I love – but I try not to eat to many… I wish they were good for you! hahah

10 Christina June 26, 2012 at 1:36 pm

Ohh I hope you win so you can come to NYC and visit! :)

Um and there’s nothing wrong with an over consumption of caramelized onions.

11 Faith June 27, 2012 at 5:46 am

Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving a comment on my post! Your toppings look delicious, the reuben dog is really calling to me!

12 spabettie June 27, 2012 at 2:47 pm

the Reuben is a good one – have any leftover hot dogs? ;)

13 Kath (My Funny Little Life) June 27, 2012 at 1:29 pm

I must admit I’m not a hot dog fan. I think I’ve eaten one in my whole life – after an *extensive* (and very exhausting) shopping tour at IKEA. They offer hot dogs and other stuff at the exit, and I had one and it made me feel sick. The floppy bread, sausage, pickled cucs, and fried onions just made me crave *freshness*. Aah. Sorry to say this!

14 spabettie June 27, 2012 at 2:39 pm

haa, you know that is totally okay, Kath! :) sometimes it makes me crave that too – I love a good (vegan!) dog every now and then, but definitely can’t eat like this often. and the lettuce wraps in place of buns? those were for ME! ;) (although many enjoyed them!)

15 BA July 5, 2012 at 4:25 am

What gluten free bread did you use for the bun?

16 spabettie July 5, 2012 at 8:31 am

I use a baguette from our local gluten free bakery, New Cascadia. I didn’t include any photos of those, none of them turned out well.

17 Matt mmWine Horbund November 2, 2012 at 1:50 pm

Know what I love about Florida? I can grill year round :)

18 spabettie November 3, 2012 at 2:18 pm

yes, that would be nice, Matt! I know if we had a covered deck area (someday…), Jason would grill out there in the snow! :D