caramelized onion black bean dip

I am all about caramelized onions lately, and this recipeΒ is the recent blame.

First of all, I made that recipe um, four times? I wanted to share it with everyone I know. I got it to a few of them, and a few of you.

Second, it made me start caramelizing onions nearly every day – and adding them to everything. I would sometimes use two onions, using half and reserving half for later.

When I make a recipe, Jason is almost always my first test. I ask him a list of questions each time – Does he like it? Would he want me to make it again? Does he want more of this right now? Could I add additional flavors to it?

Some of my best recipes are the recipes where Jason says “nothing – you couldn’t make this any better”.

This is one of those recipes. Nothing needed, and yes, please, I will take more right now.

Spicy. Sweet. Savory. Snackable.

Are you a bean dip fan?Β See this recipe on Foodie.

Pin It

Comments

I am a huge bean dip fan, mostly in the form of homemade hummus (it never gets old!), but I love black beans as well. The addition of caramelized onions sounds amazing!

You had me at “caramelized onions.” I could eat a plateful of just that. Also, what are the crackers you’re using in the photo? They look intriguing…

oh, I know – I usually do several ‘taste tests’ of the onions as they cook. you know, to make sure they’re good. ah – so many are asking about the crackers – I need to find them to let everyone know… they came in a weird package that wasn’t resealable, so they’re in my pantry in a ziplock baggie… I will look for them and let you know – they are SO good, very crunchy and tasty.

your food swap looked awesome – can I virtually attend the next one? πŸ˜‰ I hope you use your new treasure to make this dip, it’s a good one!

I have these bowls!!! Okay, focus Cara, we are not talking Anthropologie right now, we are talking about black beans and caramelized onions. I was seriously contemplating making that creamy dip this weekend and then realized that I have no one to make it for and I would be subjected to eat it all by myself (like that is a bad thing). You are making me realize that I am missing out big time and that I MUST do it now! Okay, okay, stop yelling, I’ll do it :)

I LOVE THESE BOWLS. πŸ˜‰ and of course you have them!

as far as that dip goes, my first instinct was to say “you could scale down the recipe to half” but HAAA HAAA, as soon as you taste it you’ll make another batch anyway. πŸ˜‰ it. is. so. good. THEN, you can follow up with THIS dip, because it’s healthy and all. stop yelling and DO IT.

they were a really great biscotti cracker that had bad packaging (ripped open and I couldn’t use it), so I cannot recall the brand or type! they’re in a big ziplock baggie. I will go hunt for them – if I find them I’ll let you know because they are SO good, and perfect for a heavy dip like this – they are crunchy and strong! :)

hi Rhonda! thanks for stopping by, and for saying hello! I hope you love the dip, it’s a good one! cheers! Kristina

ha! yeah… it would. πŸ˜‰ but actually, I tell him he should be honest if he doesn’t like something… otherwise, HE WILL GET IT AGAIN! πŸ˜‰ ha!

plus, if it’s something I may share here, I know my tastes can be a bit crazy, so I want to make sure OTHERS will think it is good.

you know I think of you when caramelizing onions now, right?? I WILL make those crazy cookies of yours. I HAVE to try them! πŸ˜‰

yes, I love chopping the onion… knowing what it will turn into. caramelized onions really do improve MOST anything.

Trackbacks