homemade Baileys Irish cream

In my family, my mom makes the homemade Kahlúa and I make the homemade Baileys.

I have shared this recipe here before, but it now resides with the other lost socks posts from my self hosting move. I made a batch of Baileys in November, right before we left for Mexico to drink nothing but tequila. I had some left to welcome me home right before Christmas.

Years ago, Jason and I got hooked on Baileys and coffee in Vegas. I had to stay alert for our six hour stints at the craps table, so coffee it was! On the plane to go home, we were waiting for takeoff and the attendant came around for drink orders. We were the last in our section to be asked, and both of us ordered Baileys and coffees. People started turning around and saying they wanted to change their order – pretty soon everyone in the section was drinking Baileys and coffee. One guy was a hold out, still wanting a Jager shot they did not have.

I’m pretty sure I told that story the last time I posted this recipe.

vegan Baileys Irish cream

1 tablespoon cocoa
2 shots espresso
1 can coconut milk
1/2 cup coconut creamer
1 teaspoon almond extract
1 tablespoon vanilla
3/4 – 1 cup whiskey

Combine cocoa with hot espresso/coffee, stir until dissolved. Add this and all other ingredients to blender, blend on high. Store in airtight container in refrigerator.

I happen to know this lasts at least four weeks in the fridge, while you are on a hammock in Mexico.

Cheers!

Comments

I haven’t really cut loose and imbibed in a while (still nursing Clara)…but this looks SO very good on this cold January morning. Might make it this weekend after the kids are in bed!

p.s. Are you coming to BLEND?

oh, same here! a few winters ago, we had so much snow we were stuck at home for over two weeks (we live kinda remote…). a little bit of this in our morning coffees became the norm. 😉

it IS expensive… this is a tasty version, a bit different with the coconut milk but it’s close enough for me! :)

your grandma sounds like my kind of people :) and thanks – my mom recently gave me a whole set of these glasses – I think they’ve been in the family for a while, which I love!

2. Laura Podrasky says

This is just perfect to share w/ my mom-in-law! I can’t wait to make it w/ her! It’s a long weekend so possibly some fudge will happen and maybe even the spring rolls. Thanks so much for planning my weekend. lol

hi Laura!! yes, this long weekend is perfect for this, AND fudge… by Monday you’ll want those spring rolls! :) enjoy!!

yep, too easy. 😉 and now I want some cereal!! haa – the Kahlua my mom gives us never lasts long either – SO good!

yes, i was hooked on these for a while too! i used to have one with my dad and chit chat. ahh, those were the days. I think the coconut milk is much better though. A good spabettie twist!

Be still my heart!!! I LOVE Bailey’s and had NO idea it was pretty simple to make. Love the idea of using coconut milk too. Thanks Kris! Hope you and “Peanut Butter Basil” :) are having a good day.

way before I really knew what “vegan” was, I was not a fan of eggs. or milk. but I DID know what Baileys was. 😉

haa haa – taking granny’s china… my mom recently gave me a whole set of these glasses – which I believe came from my grandma!! :)

You know I’m a kahlua girl! I haven’t had Bailey’s in years! Tony loves it…this is a must! I love how it looks in the jar. It’s so pretty and I’m imagining amazingly delicious! I think a trip to the liquor store is in order!

• says

You know I would never call YOU that, just saying it out loud because I mean, well, you just, BAILEYS!! You literally read my mind. Must be all the simultaneous Wheel of Fortune watching between the both of us. MF.

• says

hi Terris, and thank you!! I hope you find more you like, and that I see you around here more! :) have a great weekend, Kristina.

6. Laurel says

Oh my word. Bailey’s!!! This has been my drink my entire adult life, Bailey’s and Coffee and I gave that up 4 years ago. You not only have literally saved my life you have confirmed my theory there is literally NOTHING you cannot make Vegan and allergy free if you set your mind to it. So why didn’t I? Smarty. :-)

Mmmmm! I love baileys and coffee…..so yummy–I drink it way too fast :)
    Joe’s mom makes it for us, but I would love to do a version with coconut milk–thanks for sharing!

hi Christine! I have made previous versions with added sugar – I’ve used a simple syrup before (equal parts sugar + water in a saucepan over medium heat until sugar dissolves) and I have also used agave before – I cannot recall the amount, but perhaps start with 1/4 cup and add from there to your liking? I’m happy you tried the recipe! :)

That looks amazingly delicious!! I stopped drinking caffeine but I may have to look for some decaf espresso just for this lol. Can you believe they even make decaf espresso? It’s kind of a sin but whatev’s!

hi Candice! I love Tasty Tuesday – thanks for having me 😉 I hope you try this – it’s really easy and SO good! Cheers – happy weekend to you as well!

9. carole says

Help! I am trying to replace hubbys International Delight Irish Cream Creamer…I understand all the ingredients and am making it a virgin version but what is the 1/2 cup creamer? Thanks cant wait to make this healthier for him and also to save money :)

10. Rian says

I just saw this on Pintrest and I am gonna make it, as best I can with what I have. Even with the substitutions I’ll be making I’m sure it will still be good.

Yummo, love that you used coconut milk… so creamy and delicious. Oh my golly gosh… this would make a mad good smoothie with some vegan ice cream 😉

12. Joan says

Is the whiskey in the home made Irish creme Gluten Free?
    This sounds so good but I need Gluten Free only…

hi Joan,

most people say “all distilled alcohols are gluten free – including those from gluten grains” as the distillation removes most gluten. many celiacs and intolerants can consume whiskey with no effects, but I would definitely use caution if you are highly sensitive. I am only going by my level of tolerance, and do not want to say it is okay for everyone. I would search for a label that is certified, if you have concerns. good luck, thank you for reading!

I will try this when I find a coconut based creamer. When you live in the sticks it’s hard to find that kind of thing. I love Baileys and Kahlua mixed together. Any chance of getting the Kahlua recipe?

14. Nina says

So pleased to have found this recipe as it’s something I miss from my non-vegan days.
    What is ‘coconut creamer’? We get coconut cream in a can here in Australia. Is that the same thing? Or is it (perhaps) a can of coconut milk, shaken?
    Cheers,
    Nina

hi Nina! creamer is something we have here, mainly used for coffee in place of adding milk to coffee? It is one of those crazy weird things I so rarely use, but I saw one made with coconut milk, so I tried it. Coconut milk in a can (yes, shaken) would absolutely work! I hope you love it, cheers!

15. jelli says

my sister and me made last night YUMMO, can’t wait for holidays everyones getting this gift LOL

16. Krystle says

do you think this would work if I replaced the coconut creamer with soy creamer to cut down a teeny bit on the coconut flavor?

• Kristina Sloggett says

absolutely, Krystle – I have not used soy creamer before, but I imagine “creamer” should be similar consistency? Enjoy!

17. Laurel says

My husband just brought home a bottle of Jameson’s and I immediately thought of you :-) and this recipe. So the gluten gets boiled out of whisky right?

• Kristina Sloggett says

haa, awesome! …and if only it were as easy as boiling to get rid of gluten, right? but whiskey is gluten free, because of the distilling process!! yeee!

• Laurel says

EXCELLENT!!! she says with a wicked gleam in her eye and whilst rubbing her hands together and cackling.
        Have a smashingly marvelous Thanksgiving. xo

• Kristina Sloggett says

EXACTLY how I responded when I first heard this news. MUAH ah ah… and thank you – I hope your holiday is fantastic as well!

• Kristina Sloggett says

I use unsweetened, although either would work. this has no added sugar; I have had many people make this – some have added sweetener as well.

18. Grainne says

I don’t like whiskey, so I use amaretto and it is really good. I just heat up 2 tins of coconut milk with a 1/2 cup unrefined sugar and a pinch of salt until thickened. Then I lash in a bit of amaretto and try not to drink it all at once!

• Kristina Sloggett says

oh, very good to know! I am not the biggest whiskey fan either (in this I find it okay), and may try your amaretto sub! thanks!

Trackbacks