s’mores shots in chocolate glasses

in cocktails,Dessert,Vegan

Smores Shots in Chocolate Glasses

I have been thinking about making chocolate shot glasses for a long time. A couple years ago, Jason gave me a shot glass mould, and so far I’ve only used it to make gummi shot glasses. (and the shot glasses are on sale now!)

Then, a few months ago, Jason came home with this local lovely:

Chocolate vodka made by Portland’s New Deal Distillery. I immediately thought of a crumbly graham cracker glass rim, with a lovely pouf of marshmallowy whip atop a shot of this vodka.

Then even better, I remembered my shot glass mould!

Hallelujah, the holidays could not come fast enough.

These are fun. These are tasty. These are happening on New Years.

s’mores shots in chocolate glasses

10-12 ounces dark chocolate
shot glass mould
2-3 tablespoons (gluten free) graham crumbs
4 ounces chocolate vodka
1 teaspoon vanilla
4 tablespoons non dairy whip (Soyatoo rice whip)

Shot glasses (make a day ahead): In medium saucepan, melt dark chocolate over medium heat. Spoon into shot mould, let cool. Place in refrigerator to set, preferably overnight. Makes four chocolate glasses.

Vanilla Whip: Stir vanilla into whip cream.

Pulse 2-3 graham crackers in food processor to a fine crumb (or use store bought crumbs), pour onto a flat plate. Wet the rim of each chocolate shot glass with water, roll in graham crumbs. Pour 1 ounce chocolate vodka into each shot glass, top with vanilla whip.

To be completely authentic, use marshmallows in place of vanilla whip: melt marshmallows top each shot glass with a pouf of mallow, or place marshmallows atop each glass and caramelize with a kitchen torch.

Cheers to chocolate! Cheers to you!

1 Heather (Where's the Beach) December 30, 2011 at 5:16 am

Love it – so much fun. Can I please come to a party your put together???

2 spabettie December 30, 2011 at 9:02 am

YES, you are hereby invited to any party you can come to!! :)

3 Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) December 30, 2011 at 5:26 am

Now that’s how I want to take in my drinks this new year! I’m with Heather, I’m coming to your part! Happy New Year my friend!

4 spabettie December 30, 2011 at 9:01 am

oh, I SO wish you and Heather COULD come visit – I’d have a party just for you! happy new year, Sarena!!

5 Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table December 30, 2011 at 5:37 am

How have I never heard of chocolate shot glasses before?! These look amazing. Happy New Year!!!

6 spabettie December 30, 2011 at 9:01 am

I know. these are SO good. I can’t wait to make more. happy new year to you, Laura!!

7 Abby December 30, 2011 at 5:49 am

Maybe I’m having a weak moment because I’m at work, but I’m not a huge fan of sweets and recently swore of vodka and still want to pack myself into a suitcase and crash your party JUST for those shots. Well, there’s also visiting you and Basil, but that’s a given. Holy yum, woman.

8 spabettie December 30, 2011 at 9:00 am

you can crash our party anytime, Basil and I would be happy to have you! :)

9 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen December 30, 2011 at 5:57 am

These are even cooler than the ice holder! What a cool idea. Can I come to this party? ;)

10 spabettie December 30, 2011 at 9:00 am

yeah, I was wondering which I like better, they’re both pretty fun. (these are tastier, for sure!).

11 Curt December 30, 2011 at 6:17 am

Very cool! Send me a dozen right away!

I just might have to order one of those molds. $7.75 is a great price for 4 molds.

12 spabettie December 30, 2011 at 8:58 am

Curt, this is definitely a fun kitchen gadget – we love it. happy new year to you!

13 Cara December 30, 2011 at 7:51 am

These are so cute that they make me wanna put you in a headlock and give you a noogie kind of cute!!! I’m buying these molds. P.S. I saw the candy cane molds in the background. Now I’m giving myself a noogie…oooh, it’s a bit tricky I’ll say…

14 spabettie December 30, 2011 at 8:57 am

headlock noogie! :D why should I have guessed you would be the first to notice the peppermint shots… ;) sharing those soon, I promise!

15 Amber Shea @Almost Vegan December 30, 2011 at 8:33 am

Briiiiilliant! Um, you know you’re invited to my New Year’s party, right? ;)

16 spabettie December 30, 2011 at 8:55 am

weee! I so wish I could be there! ;) Happy New Year to you guys XO

17 Christina December 30, 2011 at 8:48 am

I’d probably just eat the shot glass before they set in the mold lol. My friend made a similar thing using juice and they melted so fast it was a bust. Did the chocolate hold up?

18 spabettie December 30, 2011 at 8:55 am

Christina they DID hold up – I melted dark chocolate bars, so they went right back to that solid consistency once they were in the fridge overnight. even at room temp they held up, we had to bite into them to break them! after we filled them up a couple times first, of course. ;)

19 Christina December 30, 2011 at 1:18 pm

I think I’m going to have to tell my friend to make these, she’s the one with the mold ha! Have a great New Year if I don’t get to speak to ya!

20 spabettie December 30, 2011 at 1:32 pm

are you talkin’ to ME?? ;) I could ship them to you with dry ice… and happy new year to you too, dear!

21 Christina December 30, 2011 at 7:21 pm

Ha! That would be like Christmas all over again!! ;)

22 Lisa December 30, 2011 at 8:59 am

These look amazing! I want to do this!

23 janetha December 30, 2011 at 9:18 am

You really have to stop with the ridiculous cuteness! I am squealing over here!!

24 spabettie December 30, 2011 at 10:01 am

nope, not gonna do it! ;) I have one more…

25 Kris | iheartwellness.com December 30, 2011 at 10:13 am

Ok, I don’t know which I’m more excited about….that there is a mould for a shot glass or that there is Chocolate Vodka. YUMMM!!

These are freaking rad!!!! How cute!! Dang Border separating us……..

xxoo

26 spabettie December 30, 2011 at 10:20 am

I know – the fun we’d have as neighbors! :D and I KNOW – chocolate vodka or DIY shot glasses – so hard to choose!

27 Char @ www.charskitchen.ca December 30, 2011 at 11:22 am

omg…I need to find me some chocolate vodka! We made chocolate martinis last New Year’s and they were delicious :D These look amazing!

28 spabettie December 30, 2011 at 1:36 pm

mmm, chocolate martinis, that sounds good too. happy new year Char!!

29 Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga December 30, 2011 at 12:08 pm

This is TOO CUTE!! Omg you did such a great job on these. Between the food ART, the photography, the flavors….this is a great post, Kris!

30 spabettie December 30, 2011 at 1:35 pm

thank you, Averie! these were really fun to make and photograph! oh, and eat. ;) happy new year, my friend!

31 bitt December 30, 2011 at 12:16 pm

Wow so cute! Reminds me of those balloon cups but oh much more sophisticated. Forget the alcohol I’d put some lovely mouse in there to make it even more over the top. Happy New Year!

32 spabettie December 30, 2011 at 1:34 pm

yes, a mousse would be REALLY good with these! happy new year, friend!

33 Kirsten December 30, 2011 at 12:18 pm

Trashed on chocolate shots! Yes please

34 spabettie December 30, 2011 at 1:33 pm

hee hee, right? happy new year indeed!

35 Kristy Lynn @ Gastronomical Sovereignty December 30, 2011 at 3:56 pm

this is by far, the most coolest (get it? cool? you had to freeze them!) Christmas sweet i’ve seen thus far. seriously. and that makes you, the coolest christmas “sweet” by extension.

this. is. awesome.

it might be fun to make crispy crunches (shots made of creme de cacao and frangelico, shaken with ice and strained) – the chocolate before the chocolate!

36 Marie December 30, 2011 at 4:17 pm

Wow! Vegan AND without gluten AND with alcohol!!! You ARE my hero!!! Can I come to your next party too??? :)

37 spabettie December 30, 2011 at 4:53 pm

I try… ;) I don’t know if the vodka is actually gluten free, but there are plenty that are!! :D

38 STUFT Mama December 30, 2011 at 4:21 pm

Um….. you always amaze me. What party are you going to because I may have to stalk you. Ha ha! I love these! Now I want a shot glass mold. :)

39 spabettie December 30, 2011 at 4:52 pm

aw, thanks, girl. you should get one of these, they are SO fun! :D and you are welcome to ANY party I’m havin’!

40 mightyvegan December 30, 2011 at 6:04 pm

OMG, this looks divine! I’ve never even seen shot glass molds, very creative, as usual!

41 spabettie December 30, 2011 at 9:34 pm

I hadn’t known there was such a thing until Jason gifted them to me – they are too fun! :D happy new year to you! XO

42 Pure2raw Twins December 30, 2011 at 6:08 pm

we will cheers to that!!! looks incredible!

43 spabettie December 30, 2011 at 9:33 pm

cheers to you both, girls! happiest of new years to you and yours! XO

44 Ambika December 30, 2011 at 7:38 pm

Pure genius!!! Brilliant shots! Wish you a very happy and yummy new year!!!

45 spabettie December 30, 2011 at 9:31 pm

thank you – these were SO good, I cannot wait to make more! fill them with a mousse or something? happy new year to you as well! XO

46 Molly@hungryhungryrunner.com December 30, 2011 at 7:57 pm

Love these!!! So, so cute! Any yummy. :) Happy New Year!

47 spabettie December 30, 2011 at 9:30 pm

thanks, Molly! happy new year to you, my friend! XO

48 Diane {Created by Diane} December 30, 2011 at 7:58 pm

oh these are so super-cute!!!

49 spabettie December 30, 2011 at 9:30 pm

thank you, Diane! happy new year to you!

50 Geanna December 30, 2011 at 8:01 pm

Oh my gosh, you seriously outdid yourself here. And where can I get some shot glass molds? That’s just genius! I’ll be coming to your door around midnight, just so you know. :)

51 spabettie December 30, 2011 at 9:29 pm

Geanna, there is a link to the shot glasses on the page – less than $8 on amazon! :)

if you’re coming by at midnight, knock LOUD. in case you have to wake us ;) (we are usually up past midnight, at least on New Years!) :D we should get together soon, go have lunch or something?? I am addicted to Blossoming Lotus right now! XXO

52 Geanna December 31, 2011 at 5:46 pm

Sweet! I am taking a serious look at that, because honestly, I have not even entered into the awesome world of making dishes out of food, and I need to. NOW.
We should go to lunch, yes yes yes!! And I love BL!! Ditto more yeses! So, email me and we’ll set it up! :)

53 Shirley @ gfe December 30, 2011 at 8:10 pm

OMG, these look incredible, Kristina! I would love to actually make some. The second shot makes them look solid in the molds, but clearly they are not. Anyway, divine way to party, my dear! :-)

xo,
Shirley

54 spabettie December 30, 2011 at 9:26 pm

nope, that shot was taken right after pouring! fun though, right? these are SO good… someone else came up with an idea to fill them with a mousse dessert, which sounds incredible too! :D

cheers to you, my friend – happiest of new years to you!

55 lindsay December 30, 2011 at 10:27 pm

i see these in my future! like new years eve dessert future!

56 spabettie December 30, 2011 at 10:40 pm

I wish we could CHEERS together! oh, hey – it’s almost new years for you… right now very soon, right??

Happiest of years for you and James, my dear friend! I hope it is the best yet! XO

57 lindsay December 30, 2011 at 10:44 pm

yes! and thank goodness! CHeers!

58 Christin@purplebirdblog December 31, 2011 at 9:21 am

Ahhhhhh these are KILLING me with their awesome cuteness! And chocolate vodka… man… I’d have been ALLLLL over that in my drinking days! Totally on my way over to the other crazy adorable shot glass post I saw in my reader by you! ;)

59 Rachel @ Bakerita December 31, 2011 at 10:10 am

Love it! This is so cute. Now off to find shot glass molds…

60 spabettie December 31, 2011 at 5:10 pm

fred flare or amazon!

61 Lauren @ www.cravingsgoneclean.com January 1, 2012 at 2:59 pm

These look amazing! Happy New Year!

62 hihorosie January 1, 2012 at 8:17 pm

ooh! How fun…for whatever occasion! :)

63 jean January 6, 2012 at 4:00 pm

I fell in love at first sight and had to come see what you were up to!
How fabulous and fun!

jean

64 Hannah February 28, 2012 at 9:39 am

this is why I love visiting every day – inventive creations, beautifully pictured!

65 Jenny February 28, 2012 at 12:04 pm

these are gorgeous!

66 Stephen March 6, 2012 at 9:52 am

very impressive!

67 Jeri March 8, 2012 at 10:01 am

just got my shot glass mold today, yaa!

68 spabettie March 9, 2012 at 10:16 am

yeee! can’t wait to see what you make!

69 Eva March 9, 2012 at 10:48 am

you are just awesome. I need that shot glass mold.

70 Diana May 21, 2012 at 5:45 pm

spabettie;

I tried these on a recent vacation with my old friends from high school. A few things went wrong and I hope you can help. First, the shots wouldn’t come out of the mold (mine is a rubber mold) and then when I had dug them out, the chocolate was funky colors. We want to make these to drink duck farts from…HELP!

71 spabettie May 21, 2012 at 6:57 pm

hi Diana,

sorry things went wrong.

the first time I used my mold, it was difficult to extract the shots, but I let them sit a few minutes (to warm up from the refrigerator), and just really pulled on the mold around them, pushing them out. I have never broken one of the glasses, they are thick enough to withstand a lot of pushing/pulling. I didn’t want to use an implement to dig them out, I didn’t want to leave marks on them. The good news is, the mold does become more pliable with each use – by the second time I used them, the shots were much easier to pull / push out. the mold I have is made of silicone. I would imagine a rubber mold would react the same, and hopefully become easier to use with more use.

as far as the chocolate becoming discolored, I have no idea why that happened? without more details, I don’t even know where to begin on that… funky colors like what?

I hope this helps some, and I hope your mold is like mine and will get easier with time!

Cheers, Kristina

72 Diana May 21, 2012 at 7:14 pm

Thanks, that does help. By funky colors I mean light (sort of powdery) brown, medium brown and dark brown. Not real appetizing.

73 spabettie May 21, 2012 at 8:22 pm

hmm, different shades of brown make me think it is a temperature thing – maybe they got too cold? (mine didn’t do this, but I have had chocolate bars that either got too warm or too cold turn light / white brown before). maybe just let them set up on the counter, or in the fridge for very short periods of time, alternating and taking them back out for breaks?

that’s all I can think of – let me know how the next batch goes!

74 RecipeNewZ July 4, 2012 at 8:44 pm

I am lost for words – they are just too good to be described :-)

75 spabettie July 5, 2012 at 8:16 am

thank you! :) the shot glasses are really fun, and we loved these ‘desserts’ :)

76 Alessandra July 5, 2012 at 3:47 am

I love this, where did you buy the shot glass moulds? I have to go on a hunt for them. This is a great holiday idea, thanks for sharing.

77 spabettie July 5, 2012 at 8:16 am

hi Alessandra! the moulds are “Fred” and I found them on Amazon here: Fred Cool Shooters Shot Glass Mould :) they are really fun!

78 Kimberly from The Hungry Goddess February 1, 2013 at 9:39 pm

A shot glass mould – I am in awe!

79 Kristina Sloggett February 2, 2013 at 1:39 pm

these things are SO FUN! I think you definitely need one, Kimberly ;)

80 Anonymous Crow May 17, 2013 at 5:52 pm

These look like horrible trouble! I think your blog is becoming a problem for me. (Thumbs up)

81 Kristina Sloggett May 23, 2013 at 9:30 am

such GOOD trouble ;) I’ll take that as a compliment!

82 Christen Ferguson October 13, 2013 at 10:32 am