miso & sesame kale chips

Have you ever eaten two whole trays of kale chips in one afternoon? Yeah, me either.

One of my birthday gifts last month was a dehydrator. I’ve been wanting one for some time, so this is definitely not a Homer Gift.

I have a long list of dehydrator ideas, but I had to break it in with a classic.

oops, there’s the photographic evidence of just how many kale chips I scarfed in a matter of hours.

I couldn’t stop. I tried to save some for Jason, I really did. Good thing they are so easy to make.

miso sesame kale chips

vegan, gluten free, dairy free

miso dressing
sesame seedsΒ

Wash and dry kale. Tear / cut leaves into small pieces, removing ribs and stems. Coat kale pieces with miso dressing (toss in bowl or massage with hands) and sprinkle with sesame seeds. Arrange in single layer on baking pan or dehydrator sheet.

Oven: bake at 250-275 for 45 – 60 minutes*.

Dehydrator: 145 for 2-3 hours*.

*Depending on thickness of dressing application, these times may vary. I made these a second time with a thicker application of miso dressing, dehydrated for four hours. Check and flip.

miso dressing

vegan, gluten free, dairy free

1/4 cup smooth miso paste
1-2 tablespoons olive oil
juice of two lemons
1 green onion, minced fineΒ

Whisk all ingredients – adjusting liquids for desired consistency. Insert straw and drink StoreΒ in airtight container in fridge.

I make this miso dressing thinner for salads, thicker to use as a dip or spread (delicious on sandwiches and wraps!). Thick or thin consistency, this works well as a kale chip coating!

These have incredible flavor- very umami. I make these in small batches now, especially if I am alone. I cannot be trusted around them!

Are you a miso fan? What about kale chips?

yep, pretty easy to make these in the oven (do you do the open oven door thing??) but I am SO excited for a dehydrator. I’ve wanted one for years! πŸ˜€

these really are so good… maybe make as a salad instead? πŸ˜‰ I haven’t tried this recipe in the oven, but I don’t see why it wouldn’t work?

Yummy. I love kale chips but have only made them a few times. I tend to use up my bunch of kale for a single dish and don’t set any aside for kale chips. And I do like miso – though I don’t think of it as a strong flavor. Maybe that’s just me?

hmm, kinda strong to me? well, a miso paste is anyway… definitely prominent? I had to buy extra with the intention of making chips – my kale goes quick around here too!

girl, I know! these you could make in the oven, totally! juicer, *sigh* I wish I could give EVERYONE a juicer!! πŸ˜€

Oh I am SUCH a miso fan, these look awesome girl!

A dehydrator is something I do want one day, when i have more kitchen space ; )

Happy Weekend! xoxo <3

if you like miso you would LOVE these!! seriously – could. not. stop. eating. πŸ˜‰ you could make them in the oven…

I don’t know why I never try miso. I think I would like it. Kale chips…I LOVE! Tony hates the way they make the house smell and he thinks they taste like eating grass, but Max and I go nuts for them! I hope you have a great weekend my friend!

that’s funny, I’ve heard that they smell bad… I have made them in the oven before and didn’t get that, so I thought it was a dehydrator thing (or I was making something else at the same time…)

but THESE… my kitchen smelled of miso and it was glorious! πŸ˜€

yep. that is EXACTLY what I did (well, it took an afternoon). I really tried to save some for Jason, and when he got home all I had to show him was the photos. then I saw how many I actually made and we both laughed. oops! I’m laughing again right now, thinking about it… good thing I can make more, pretty quickly! πŸ˜€

I am a total miso fan, unfortunately I can’t find miso paste ANYWHERE near me. I’ll probably have to order it online. *Le sigh* I hate paying shipping.

I know what you mean – I don’t mind A LITTLE shipping when it’s reasonable (because I love to receive fun stuff in the mail!), but not many places do that… and for miso paste which would probably be cold shipped… yeah. sorry, I hope you find some soon? no Asian markets near you?

• says

I found some today!! I took a special trip across town to Whole Foods to track it down. I had actually searched there before for miso paste but I’m such a dummy, I didn’t realize it would be cold. I was looking for it like with the soy sauce as opposed to by the tofu.

Silly me.

Now I can make miso sesame kale chips!!

These sound really great! My most recent kale chip binge was on pizza flavored ones … but I could definitely go for some miso style—love that stuff!

do it, Molly! and that’s nothing to make fun of, I bet many have only had the soup. it took me a while to buy miso paste… I used to look at it in the store, wanting to buy it… real too easy and SO good! :)

I am so happy I finally got one – spabettie is about to become Dehydrator City. πŸ˜‰ Dad is doing GREAT, thank you so much for asking!! XO

hee hee, Josie still love that you call me that. I pretty much ate one whole tray immediately, ate some halfway through (quality control, you know), and snacked on the other tray all afternoon. #oops.

The best kale chips I’ve ever had are definitely homemade. Certain packaged brands have left me with a stomach ache…even with clean ingredients!

Yay on your awesome birthday gift: a dehydrator! Sweet! And heh, I’ve never eaten pretty much a whole batch of kale chips in an afternoon either…(::shifty eyes::) Your kale chips look super!

haha that’s the worst – when you’re home alone and you just start baking, then eating, then next thing you know there’s none left for your partner. Generally someone would just hide the evidence but when you have a blog, you know that conversation is going to come up when they see a recipe on your site that they’ve never tried “hey! I didn’t get to try these, what the heck?”…. that happens a lot around here!

I have loved catching up on your blog tonight and seeing so many fabulous recipes I need to try! Beautiful pics too, as always :)
    I want a dehydrator soooo badly. Dehydrator and a vitamix are my last two kitchen essentials. But one thing at a time I suppose. I got a new juicer a few weeks ago that I’m soooo in love with!! I can’t wait to see all your new dehydrator creations!!!

10. Sam says

unreal! miso is such a great flavor (I love that you said umami!!!) and this makes me want to try kale chips on my own. love the sesame seeds too, adds another dimension to the chip!

hi Pamela! I am SO happy you loved these as much as we did – they are very difficult to keep around, yes? I (finally!) just got my dehydrator too and this was my first recipe! πŸ˜€ enjoy, can’t wait to see what else you make – interested in the result of zucchini chips! Cheers!

11. Swit says

if only these came packaged like potato chips !
    they look amazing, i’m more certain that i want a dehydrator….thanks !i think i’m a new follower, i love your food !

hello Swit! thank you for saying hello! these were really very good – I have not tried the oven myself, but I have heard that things like these will work in an oven (until you get a dehydrator) πŸ˜€

12. Lynn says

Trying the kale chips although I might go with some just plain and some with the miso, I don’t have any sesame seeds though but I’m still doing it! :)