berry clafoutis

in baking, Dessert, Gluten Free, recipes, Vegan

We had an action packed weekend – a three year old’s birthday party (with a puppet show!), a visit to my favorite Multnomah Village candy store (I got a blackberry ice cream cone!), two sushi lunches, three grilling / backyard parties, not too much time online and a lot of cooking.

We live outside the city limits, just past the county line in Portland. Our neighbors across the lake LOVE the fourth of July, and usually start celebrating with (big booming, bright blooming) fireworks a couple days early. This year, we started hearing them Thursday evening. Some years we hear fireworks after the fourth.

I’ll just say that Basil is not a fan.

We aren’t big firework folk, preferring instead to have people over, jump in the pool and fire up the grill. The pool is not yet open, but the weather is holding in the 80’s so any day now… the grilling and cooking happened, though.

My idea of a perfect four day weekend.

Some of my creations were patriotic with a theme of red and blue. In the case of this vegan and gluten free clafoutis, the white would be the custard like dough.

Red white and blue deliciousness.

berry clafoutis

1 1/2 cups silken tofu (12 ounce container)
3 tablespoons agave honey
1 cup almond milk
1/3 cup brown rice flour
3 cups berries

Combine tofu, agave, milk and flour in food processor. Blend until smooth. Prepare pan (I used three small spring-form pans) – spray or butter (earth balance) and line the bottom of pan with a single layer of berries. Pour tofu mixture over berries, bake at 350 for 40 – 50 minutes.

This clafoutis is just how I like it – custardy and light, with the flavor of the berry bringing the sweetness. I used fresh blueberries, blackberries, raspberries and strawberries, and I like a higher fruit to custard ratio. More fruit means the cooking time is longer, but it does set up, and is well worth the wait.

How did you spend your holiday weekend?

What’s your favorite berry?

Fireworks – like them or no?

1 Lisa Fine July 5, 2011 at 5:25 am

Yum – I love fruit and custard desserts.

We spent part of the weekend at my parents’ house to hang out, have a barbecue, and go for a fun drive.

My favorite berries are blueberries [at the moment, anyway - that may change soon].

And I’m not really into fireworks. The noise and the smoke just don’t do it for me.

2 spabettie July 5, 2011 at 1:46 pm

sounds like a great weekend, Lisa! and I’m the same way, pretty much… I like to see fireworks from afar – and as my friend Stephanie says “when professionally done”. :D the ones here around where we live were sometimes BIG, but we went on a walk outside and the air was smoky and sulfury. and the dog was scared. :(

blueberries for the win! have a great week!

3 Heather (Where's the Beach) July 5, 2011 at 5:30 am

Sounds like a fun filled weekend to me. That dessert looks so good – and festive!

4 spabettie July 5, 2011 at 1:43 pm

thanks, Heather! and more weekends ahead – today we both took the day off and we are… PREPPING THE POOL !! weeee! :D

5 Blog is the New Black July 5, 2011 at 5:42 am

This looks delicious but I am giggling… because whenever I see the word “clafoutis”… I think it sounds like an STD. Hehehehe.

6 spabettie July 5, 2011 at 1:38 pm

hee – thanks, Liz. and I can see that – it’s a funny word. ;)

7 Kath (My Funny Little Life) July 5, 2011 at 6:25 am

After a couple of days without an update on your blog, I’m happy to find that my mouthwatering mechanisms are still functioning! ;)

I actually like fireworks because I find them pretty and festive (that already tells that I only like the big flowery fireworks, not the kind that makes just terrible noise and nothing else), but I understand they must put an awful stress on animals! No wonder Basil hates them, poor him! That must be the most horrible weekend of the year for him (besides New Years Eve, maybe, when we at least have fireworks over here, for the only time in a year).

My favorite berries are … Hm. I really can’t tell. I think I like a mix (like your used for your beautiful clafoutis, which makes me drool all over the keyboard again – too bad it isn’t even *my* keyboard, because I sit at an lab computer while typing this, oh my … ;))

My weekend was neither special nor long nor great, I had a lot of mental stress with my apartment situation because I can’t deal with stress so well, especially when it comes from housing insecurity.

8 spabettie July 5, 2011 at 1:38 pm

YES, I only like the big flowery kind too… and what a GREAT description! :D I will be trying in the coming days to get back into a normal blog routine… although it HAS been nice to receive the personal notes from you all (including you and Stephanie – I feel so loved!) :D

oh, Kath… I am so sorry. I (mistakenly?) thought the Frederic situation was NOT incredibly pressing after all, but I suppose even if it is not, it would still cause great stress until remedied. I am sorry if I have been casual about it, thinking it less imminent. :( I hope all goes well, and soon. (( hugs ))

9 Kath (My Funny Little Life) July 5, 2011 at 1:51 pm

Ähhh … Did I describe anything? I really don’t know … So I just wonder what I may have described in a GREAT way. ;)

Please don’t feel bad about your comment on my housing situation! It’s really not that bad! :)

10 spabettie July 5, 2011 at 1:56 pm

describing the fireworks as “big flowery” :) in talking about them the last couple days, I’ve been saying things like BOOM and SPARKLE-Y. ;)

oh, I know it’s not that bad, but I think I was thinking you were more relaxed about it. stopping to think, though, I would not be. I empathize, I really do. Give Frederic a hug for me? XXO :D

11 Kath (My Funny Little Life) July 5, 2011 at 2:11 pm

Frederic is giving you a big 88 keys hug. ;)

12 Holly @ The Runny Egg July 5, 2011 at 6:48 am

Our holiday weekend was spent at home and at my mother in law’s house. It was wonderful and the weather was fantastic!

My favorite berry — strawberries!

Fireworks — I like them sometimes but for the most part I find them pretty boring.

I don’t think I’ve ever had clafoutis before but I love how simple this recipe is!

13 spabettie July 5, 2011 at 1:30 pm

it really is simple – one of those that seems more complicated than it is… and SO tasty!

glad you had a great weekend, Holly! hope it lasts into the week!

14 Lisa July 5, 2011 at 6:51 am

The berry clafoutis is so pretty! I’ve never had clafoutis, but I’m not quite as intimidated by it now :)

I’m not so much into fireworks—they’re ok, but I’d probably not fight crowds to go see them. We’ve been hearing them since Thurs too–kind of over it!

My fave berry was blackberries yesterday—we walked around the farm and found lots of wild ones. Normally, I’m a fan of cherries…I really need more berries in my life :)

15 spabettie July 5, 2011 at 1:29 pm

I know! I remember being intimidated before I first made one… and back then it was even EASIER with eggs! this is still very easy, just add a food processor step.

most everyone could use more berries in their life :D

16 Evan Thomas July 5, 2011 at 7:07 am

Wow! A clafoutis recipe without eggs. I’m impressed.

17 spabettie July 5, 2011 at 9:18 am

haa haa… I was wondering if I could even call it a clafoutis?

18 Pure2raw twins July 5, 2011 at 7:34 am

YUM! I do enjoy fireworks, although we did not see any yesterday. Stayed in and relaxed with the family while watching a movie.

19 Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama} July 5, 2011 at 8:31 am

I had a fantastic weekend. Unplugged and just had fun with friends and family.
I have to admit, I love fireworks. I guess I’m a big dork, but I do. I haven’t seen a fireworks show since before Meghan was born, though. She can’t stay up that late…

This recipe looks wonderful! It features my two favorite berries! :-)

20 spabettie July 5, 2011 at 1:24 pm

your weekend sounds awesome, Maryea! we unplugged a lot too, which was so nice. I actually like seeing fireworks, as my friend Stephanie said “when they’re professionally done” :D and I’d rather watch from someone’s deck. or a boat on the river.

21 Allie July 5, 2011 at 8:49 am

Your busy weekend sounds great–and that clafouti looks EVEN BETTER. Blackberries are my favorite berry, but, really, I’ll take any berry that’s on sale. Can I have some of that blackberry icecream? :)

22 spabettie July 5, 2011 at 1:00 pm

ha – what’s on sale INDEED.

and OH MY… I have it on my list to recreate the ice cream… stay tuned. it was SO amazing.

23 Heidi @ Food Doodles July 5, 2011 at 9:16 am

Beautiful! Just from looking at it I had no idea it was tofu! Awesome :) I think I probably love blueberries or strawberries the most, but there isn’t a berry I don’t like :D

24 spabettie July 5, 2011 at 12:59 pm

agreed – all berries are great in my book. blueberries are probably my most used, so must be my favorite… I also like the marionberry. not the former mayor. ;)

25 Cat@ Breakfast to Bed July 5, 2011 at 9:51 am

I want to make out with that. Just sayin.

26 spabettie July 5, 2011 at 12:58 pm

I totally get that.

27 Stephanie @ extremebalance.net/blog July 5, 2011 at 10:16 am

Are cherries berries? Because then it’s cherry. If not, strawb.

Love your clafoutis! I love to *say* clafoutis! And as for fireworks, I like—but only when they’re professionally done. :)

28 spabettie July 5, 2011 at 12:57 pm

cla fooo teeeee!! I love to say it too, obviously. ;) I couldn’t find cherries, that’s what I initially wanted to fill this with. DANG, guess I’ll have to make another!

29 spabettie July 5, 2011 at 1:02 pm

oh, and professionally done. YES. our neighbors around here sure sounded like they THOUGHT they were pros. there were some BIG booms last night – we saw some pretty big sparklies in the sky too.

30 (what runs) Lori July 5, 2011 at 10:48 am

Wow. I had no idea recipes could be this easy. Thanks!! I love the way this looks. Sooooooo pretty and only a few ingredients! LOVE it. (per usual)

Glad you had a great 4th! Sorry Basil didn’t. lol

31 spabettie July 5, 2011 at 12:56 pm

yes, this is one of those recipes many could intimidated by (I was), and when you actually make it you realize How Stinkin EASY it is! :) Basil is a happy pup again today – we’ve already been on TWO walks! Have a great week, Lori!

32 Lindsey Johnson//Cafe Johnsonia July 5, 2011 at 11:01 am

I have a container of silken tofu in my fridge that I’ve been wanting to use. I love this idea so, so much.

33 spabettie July 5, 2011 at 12:53 pm

hi Lindsay! I hope you use it for this… so SO good! (remember some patience with cooking… it took much longer than a traditional clafoutis! ENJOY!!

34 Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga July 5, 2011 at 12:29 pm

The clafoutis looks great. I’m sure you probably saw the one I made over the weekend.

I love mixed berries that are sweetened and baked. Pretty much can’t go wrong!

Lots of people asked me about a vegan/GF version and I told them to use rice flour and make a flax/chia egg and use coconut milk.

Tofu…good idea!

35 spabettie July 5, 2011 at 12:50 pm

yes, remember I said I made one earlier that same day? :) here it is! ;) the silken tofu makes a SIMILAR result, not as dense a custard but still somewhat… it was GOOD.

36 spabettie July 5, 2011 at 12:52 pm

yes, remember I said I made one earlier that same day? :) here it is! ;) the silken tofu makes a SIMILAR result, not as dense a custard but still somewhat… it was GOOD…

37 J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) July 5, 2011 at 12:29 pm

Aaaah, that clafoutis sounds amazing! I’ve been drooling over them ever since I saw Averie’s the other day. YUM!

38 spabettie July 5, 2011 at 12:48 pm

thanks! :) it was funny, I made this the day Averie posted hers! :)

39 Rivki Locker (Ordinary Blogger) July 5, 2011 at 7:19 pm

What a lovely weekend. I like weather in the 80s too. Even though it’s too cool to swim.
This recipe looks wonderful. I have been wanting to try a clafoutis for some time – I make loads of crisps and cobblers, but this will be a great new dish for me to try. Thanks for sharing!

40 spabettie July 5, 2011 at 10:20 pm

I hope you love it like we did! yes, 80 is pretty much perfect. we have a heater for our pool (if you’re crazy enough to HAVE a pool in Oregon there better be a heater!) :D so… yes, 80 is kinda cool but pretty much anything above that? we’re swimmin! :)

41 Jenn L @ Peas and Crayons July 5, 2011 at 7:58 pm

blueberries are my weakness! this berry clafoutis looks delish!!!!!! I made berry trifles all weekend b/c…well… its my lazy girl dessert! haha! this looks like a dessert on a festive restaurant menu! yum!

love ya girl! one of these days i’ll lure you back to the WIAW dark side =) we have cookies!

bahaha!

42 spabettie July 5, 2011 at 10:18 pm

trifles are awesome! and girl, you know I love you and I’ll Be Back! :D and I’ll take a cookie…

43 Jenn L @ Peas and Crayons July 5, 2011 at 7:58 pm

ps: we had to build a blanket fort for madison the cat and get in it with her. its the only thing that stopped her from crying from the fireworks! hope basil was ok!!!

44 spabettie July 5, 2011 at 10:14 pm

poor Madison. that’s how Basil was, I had to shut the bedroom door because he kept running in there and hiding under the bed. :( it’s all over – 10:15 here and not a peep out there! :)

45 Kathleen July 5, 2011 at 8:00 pm

This looks soooo pretty!

46 spabettie July 5, 2011 at 10:13 pm

thank you, Kathleen! you put that many berries in something, it CANNOT look bad, right?

47 Kris @Krazy_Kris July 5, 2011 at 9:55 pm

cla – what?
my god woman – are you going to make me google that word?
fireworks – ack – the drunkards were having fun last night at midnight – princess kitty wanted to cuddle and it was MUCH too warm for that :\

anyhooo – thought of you as i was FORCED to have almond milk.
the regular milk was curdled and i had NOTHING for my cereal and was out of yogurt too – gasps!

found a box in the cupboard and – yay – it was good!

xoxox

48 spabettie July 5, 2011 at 10:12 pm

cluuuh – FOO – teee ! :D and it’s SO good! glad you like the almond milk, glad you TRIED it!! *atta girl. another plus? almond milk… ahem… doesn’t curdle. ;) hee!

49 Tiff @ Love Sweat and Beers July 6, 2011 at 2:26 am

Oh wow, that looks gooooood. I love berries, but if I had to pick a fav, it’d probably be blackberries. So tart, yet so good with sweets!

50 spabettie July 6, 2011 at 8:03 am

I’m with you, Tiff – I love a tart + sweet combo, not TOO sweet. I think that’s why we both (Jason and I) love this dessert so much, natural sweet and not TOO sweet.

51 Liz (Little Bitty Bakes) July 6, 2011 at 4:03 am

Yum, this looks great – I’m all about fruited desserts this summer.

What are you waiting for?! Open up your pool!

52 spabettie July 6, 2011 at 8:02 am

haa – Liz, that’s funny you say that, we started the process yesterday!! :D (it generally takes a couple days to open the pool, cleaning from the winter, etc. I’m picking up chemicals today!!) by the week end we shall be swimming!

53 Jean Layton July 6, 2011 at 9:16 am

Oooo, many berries, and a vegan custard! I think I’m in heaven.
This one will have to be tried out with some of the Shuksan strawberries I just picked. Wonder if honey will sweeten as well, just don’t do agave.
thanks for creating this

54 spabettie July 6, 2011 at 9:53 am

hi Jean! I’m sure honey would work just as well!

55 Eden July 6, 2011 at 7:14 pm

I’m with basil. Not a fan.
But I’m a fan of you clafoutis. And I wish I could leave an audible comment and piss people off and say: “Cla-fu-tisssssss”

56 spabettie July 6, 2011 at 7:38 pm

oh, I wish you could too. Liz said it sounded like an STD, and I can only imagine it is with that pronunciation.

you and Basil would get along great.

57 Suzanne @WorkoutNirvana July 6, 2011 at 8:24 pm

Yum! Love your pictures! Especially da puppy, awwwwwwwww. I love Dachshunds. Well…. if I ever get back into cooking – which I will – I’ll know where to come for the yummiest recipes EVAH.

58 spabettie July 9, 2011 at 8:15 pm

Basil says thank you :D <"();::::::::;~

and thank you – I hope you try some recipes sometime, you'll have to let me know! XO

59 Jen July 8, 2011 at 6:31 pm

Hi again,
How big were your springform pans? And if, say, I wanted to use custard cups to decrease the baking time, how many do you think that would make?
Thanks!

60 spabettie July 9, 2011 at 7:44 pm

Hi Jen! my springforms are about 3 – 3.5 inches across. without knowing the size of the custard cups you mean, I don’t know how many? if you have a lot (10? 12?) I’d go ahead and try it! :D

61 Erin July 9, 2011 at 6:19 pm

I would love to make this tomorrow but I have a few questions:
Your recipe produces enough for 3 clafoutis? I don’t have springform pans so I was planning to use a regular small (8-9 inch) circular cake pan… let me know what you think and if i will need to use 3 of these cake pans! :D

62 spabettie July 9, 2011 at 7:24 pm

you definitely do not need to use a springform pan; this recipe made me 3 SMALL cakes (my pans are 3.5 4 inches maybe?) if you are using an 8 or 9 inch, it should work just fine, I would reduce the fruit by half (or two cups, maybe?) the berries should cover the bottom of the pan only, no layers of berries. I hope you love it, Erin!

63 Megan (the long-winded one) July 11, 2011 at 4:55 am

Not a fan of the fireworks, we live in the mountains of NC really close to TN where all the big and bright loud fireworks are legal. Our neighbors started shooting them on the Thursday and Friday before and we still had someone shooting some last night. My three dogs go through a routine of run around/hide/talk to us about whatever is bothering them/pass out/start over. My brother lives down the street and one of his four dogs has to wear a compression therapy shirt because he gets so upset. Schultz, the schnauzer and my three mutts Murray, Rocco and Inca are on team Basil when it comes to fireworks.

Also, thank you for giving me a valid reason to own a spring form pan. I haven’t made anything that I couldn’t make do with something else until this, it’s incredible and everyone in my family can eat it. That seriously never happens, we have so many dietary restrictions and convictions that I end up making a recipe 3 ways in one night to make it family-friendly for gatherings. This will be the new “oh look, I can get away with only making one dessert” item from now on!

64 spabettie July 11, 2011 at 7:24 am

hello Long-Winded-Megan! (I love it!!),

we ordered Basil one of those compression shirts!! :) and we still hear fireworks, too – as of yesterday. *sigh* Basil was outside with us, and he ran to the door like he wanted to come inside (and hide under the bed, presumably).

I hope you LOVE this dessert! I am so happy this fits everyone – LOVE when that happens! the best part? it does not taste like it’s missing anything… :) ENJOY!

65 Ricki July 14, 2011 at 6:41 pm

What a gorgeous dessert–and looks so simple to make, too! And thanks for thinking of Wellness Weekends. But I’m so sorry–the event is only for recipes posted within the past week. :( Your other one looks great, too, though. :)

66 spabettie July 14, 2011 at 6:59 pm

oops, SO sorry! ;) I thought I read it all carefully. I LOVE this idea, and will think of things I can do for next week too!

67 Deb (SmoothieGirlEatsToo) July 17, 2011 at 9:45 pm

Argh I’m going insane- my cursor isn’t working for some inexplicable reason (cat walking all over keyboard?) and I tried to copy and paste your recipe- I soooo want to do this one as I just bought tofu!! GAH> Will need to come back when I fix this (but how?)

68 spabettie July 17, 2011 at 10:01 pm

hmm, I don’t know? SORRY about that!! I tried on two computers and it’s working for me… here, I copied for you, can you get it from here? :) XO

berry clafoutis

1 1/2 cups silken tofu (12 ounce container)
3 tablespoons agave honey
1 cup almond milk
1/3 cup brown rice flour
3 cups berries

69 Deb (SmoothieGirlEatsToo) July 17, 2011 at 10:19 pm

You are sooo sweet thank you! And as mysteriously as the damn keyboard stopped working, it just started again! Ugh.! Anyway, thanks and can’t wait to make this- any idea if the light firm tofu Mori Nu would work if blended?

70 spabettie July 17, 2011 at 10:32 pm

computers are bizarre. I have made this THREE times now, each time with silken… I don’t know if a regular would work? if you try it that way let me know?

71 Monique September 8, 2011 at 12:43 am

I love clafouti, and I’m so happy for your creativity, I can’t wait to try this!!

72 spabettie July 5, 2011 at 10:20 pm