this Vegan Sweet Potato Soup recipe is bright and flavorful. a 5 ingredient soup with tips to make it quick and easy. bonus: instructions for Instant Pot Sweet Potato Soup.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
- How To Make Sweet Potato Soup
- Serving Suggestions
- Ingredient Variations for Sweet Potato Soup
- How To Bake A Sweet Potato
- Roasting Sweet Potatoes
- Instant Pot Sweet Potato Soup
- Vegan Sweet Potato Recipes
- Vegan Soup Recipes
- Five Ingredient Sweet Potato Soup
- 20 Minute Recipe Categories
- Quick and Easy Vegan Recipes
- Vegan Sweet Potato Soup Recipe
Vegan Sweet Potato Soup
This bright and cheerful hued soup is quick and easy! The ingredient list is short and sweet, and made up of foods you likely already have in your pantry.
There are shortcuts for making this recipe in about half an hour – a lifesaver on busy weeknights when you’re hungry and about to call for takeout. I also include instructions for making this an Instant Pot Sweet Potato Soup recipe.
How To Make Sweet Potato Soup
With such a simple ingredient list, prep for this recipe is super fast.
One big time saver to get this from stove to bowl quickly is microwaving rather than peeling and dicing the sweet potatoes. This cuts the prep and cook time by a lot. If you’re not a fan of the microwave, peel and dice and roast or boil those taters! See the notes following the recipe.
Another timesaver I give you in the recipe notes is how to make this an Instant Pot Sweet Potato Soup. This is helpful when you’re short on time or just super hungry…
See the process of making Five Ingredient Vegan Sweet Potato Soup:
How To Serve Sweet Potato Soup
We topped our Sweet Potato Soup with a cashew cream and some fresh basil, with fresh crusty bread for dunking. Oh, so good.
Cilantro is another fresh herb that works well with these flavors, and a dairy free yogurt is a quick replacement for the cashew cream if you don’t already have it on hand.
The recipe calls for fire roasted diced tomato. Reserving a tablespoon or two as topping is a colorful hint at what’s inside.
I highly suggest that fresh crusty bread though, with any toppings you choose.
Ingredient Variations For Sweet Potato Soup
- instead of curry powder: This Sweet Potato Soup recipe calls for curry powder. For a completely different flavor profile, you can use a red curry paste instead. We love red curry flavor, and it always goes well with coconut based recipes too.
- substitute for coconut milk: As far as that coconut milk, it is a great compliment to the sweet potato and a great base for soup recipes. In place of the coconut milk, you can use a rich cashew milk, oat milk, or hemp milk. These are a few of my favorite “thicker” milks that add that delicious comfort food level of richness.
- replacing sweet potato: I love sweet potatoes and wouldn’t replace them in this recipe. My husband doesn’t care for them, and I bet he’d love this a a Yellow Curry Sweet Potato Soup, using a Yukon Gold potato instead.
- add ginger: the second time I made this, I added fresh grated ginger and it was a spicy punch of flavor! I peeled and grated a one inch piece of fresh ginger and stirred it in at the end of cooking.
How To Bake A Sweet Potato
For this recipe, I sometimes bake the sweet potatoes if I am not in a hurry. and I’ll throw in an extra to eat later, because… Mmm Hmm sweet potatoes are so yum. This is my favorite method to cook potatoes for this Five Ingredient Vegan Sweet Potato Soup.
How To Bake A Sweet Potato:
- Preheat oven to 425 °F
- Scrub each potato (leave skin on)
- Pierce the potato in several places (carefully with a fork or knife)
- Arrange potatoes on a baking sheet (I use a rack on a baking sheet)
- Bake for 50-60 minutes, until potatoes are fork tender soft
How To Roast A Sweet Potato
Roasting veggies is one of my favorite meal prep foods. They are caramelized with deep flavor, and you can serve them in, on, or with so many dishes. Or just stand at the counter and eat them off the pan.
Just me? Okay…
How To Roast A Sweet Potato:
- Preheat oven to 425 °F
- Line a baking sheet with foil or parchment
- Scrub or peel each potato – your choice
- Slice each potato into cubes, one inch or smaller
- Arrange potatoes in a single layer on baking sheet
- Roast for 35-40 minutes, stirring / flipping over halfway through
Instant Pot Sweet Potato Soup
After making this recipe as written, I made it again a week later – as an instant pot sweet potato soup! This takes about 20 minutes off the total cook time, making this even better for busy weeknights.
See the recipe notes for cooking times and instructions, including very carefully releasing the steam and carefully blending with a stick blender.
Vegan Sweet Potato Recipes
- Savory Sweet Potato Boats: created as a breakfast recipe, these quick, easy and satisfying boats are really great for ANY time of day. colorful and fun.
- Crispy Sweet Potato Veggie Enchiladas: one of our most favorite recipes! this is straight up comfort food that makes you feel good.
- Lentil Sweet Potato Hemp Burgers: a hearty protein rich burger with surprising flavors of ginger and curry – bright and lively!
- Roasted Sweet Potato Asparagus Pasta: roast your veggies to a nice caramelization and put them over pasta or spiralized noodles – fresh and flavorful!
Vegan Soup Recipes
- Chipotle Black Bean Soup: this incredibly flavorful soup is quick and easy with only 8 ingredients that you most likely have in the pantry right now!
- Tomato Orange Soup: our plant based take on this iconic Portland deli soup. this is a favorite recipe of ours – we think you’ll want to make it as often as we do!
- Indo Chinese Corn Soup: wonderfully fragrant with bold flavors, this quick and easy Instant Pot soup will get a warming bowl on your dinner table in no time.
- Hearty Roasted Mushroom Bisque: you will never guess this creamy indulgent bowl is a plant based, no cream recipe! everyone loves this one.
- Instant Kimchi Noodle Soup: craving some noodles? learn how to make a quick kimchi, then add it to this instant soup recipe with layers of flavor.
- Roasted Purple Potato Soup: the nutrient rich soup with beautiful colors! all the veggies and goodness make this total comfort food.
Five Ingredient Sweet Potato Soup
This Five Ingredient Vegan Sweet Potato Soup is one of the simple plant based recipes in the latest cookbook from Nava Atlas, 5-Ingredient Vegan. This new book adds to her long list of best sellers, and once you try some of these quick and easy recipes, you will see why.
5-Ingredient Vegan brings you 175 fabulous recipes with just five ingredients, and most are made in less than 20 minutes!
That’s quicker than takeout, y’all. Whether you are vegan, vegetarian, or wanting to add more plant based meals in your week, this book has lots of choices for everyone, including:
20 Minute Recipe Categories:
- Appetizers and Snacks
- Tofu, Tempeh, and Seitan
- Pasta and Noodles
- Grains and Beans
- Vegetables Front and Center
- Wraps and Sandwiches
- Fruits and Sweets
Quick and Easy Vegan Recipes:
- Lemon Pepper Tofu with Tartar
- Crazy Easy Sloppy Joes
- Italian Meatball Subs
- Peanut Satay Tofu Triangles
- Chickpea Masala
- Batter Fried Cauliflower
- Coconut Creamed Corn
- Tahini Lemon Greens
- Streamlined Vegetable Lo Mein
- Two Ingredient Caramel Sauce
- Chocolate Granola Clusters
and then there’s this Vegan Sweet Potato Soup (called Coconut Sweet Potato Bisque in the book), which we love so much we’ve enjoyed it a few times already.
Nava Atlas once again brings her incredible talent and creativity to us, and I am especially thankful for the short ingredient lists and cooking times! Her recipes are approachable and high quality – they work every time.
As plant based eating only gets more and more popular, 5-Ingredient Vegan is an essential kitchen tool for everyone – I am already thinking about holiday gifting.
Did You Make This Vegan Sweet Potato Soup Recipe?
Follow spabettie on Instagram and tag us with #spabettie
We love seeing your recipe photos and remakes – thank you!
- Microwave the sweet potatoes, starting with 3 minutes per potato. Test, then add 1 additional minute per potato until soft. Set aside until cool enough to handle. If you want to speed up the process, immerse in a bowl of ice water.
- When the sweet potatoes are cool enough to handle, split in half and scoop the flesh out into a bowl and discard the skins.
- Heat the oil in a soup pot. Add the onion and sauté until golden.
- Add the tomatoes, coconut milk, curry powder, and 2 cups water. Bring to a slow boil.
- Stir in the sweet potato. Puree the soup until smooth either by using an immersion blender or transferring (in batches if need be) to a blender.
- Heat the soup gently until it reaches a simmer, then season with salt and pepper. Serve at once, or if time allows, let it stand for a half hour or longer to allow the flavors to blend. Heat through gently as needed.
- Add some heat with sriracha or other hot sauce
- Top each serving with chopped cilantro, fresh basil, cashew cream or dairy free yogurt
- see variations in post about different flavors / ingredient suggestions
MORE TIME, LESS LAZY:
Before beginning the soup, peel the sweet potatoes and cut into large dice. Place in a large saucepan with barely enough water to cover. Bring to a slow boil, then lower the heat, cover, and simmer until tender, 15 to 20 minutes. Proceed with the recipe from step 3. If there’s still some cooking water remaining with the sweet potatoes, use less water in step 4 and adjust as needed.
PRESSURE COOKER INSTRUCTIONS:
- Follow instructions, using sauté function, up to bring to boil.
- Close and lock lid. Set to manual / high pressure for 10 minutes.
- After a natural release, carefully remove lid. Stir and carefully blend with stick blender.
- Serve with suggested garnish.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- 5-Ingredient Vegan: 175 Simple, Plant-Based Recipes for Healthy Meals in Minutes
- KitchenAid 2-Speed Stick Blender
- Vitamix 5300 Blender, Professional 64 oz. Low-Profile Container
- La Tourangelle Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil, 25 Oz
- Muir Glen Canned Tomatoes, Organic Whole Tomatoes, Fire Roasted, No Sugar Added, 28 Ounce
- Organic Lite Coconut Milk, 13 fl oz (Pack of 6)
- Thai Kitchen Gluten Free Red Curry Paste, 4 oz
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 162Total Fat: 4gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 125mgCarbohydrates: 20gNet Carbohydrates: 13gFiber: 7gSugar: 12gProtein: 3g
Vegan Sweet Potato Soup recipe reprinted with permission from 5-Ingredient Vegan © 2019 by Nava Atlas, Sterling Publishing Co., Inc
Kristina is spabettie! She found cooking at an early age, and created spabettie in 2010 to share vegan recipes. Kristina turned her culinary training into sharing vibrant vegan food! Read more…
spabettie / Kristina Sloggett is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.