This vegan sweet potato soup recipe is bright and flavorful. A 5 ingredient sweet potato soup with tips to make it quick and easy. Bonus: instructions for Instant Pot sweet potato soup.
recipe originally published September 17, 2019
TABLE OF CONTENTS
Five ingredient sweet potato soup
This bright and cheerful hued soup is quick and easy! The ingredient list is short and sweet, and made up of foods you likely already have in your pantry.
There are shortcuts for making this recipe in about half an hour - a lifesaver on busy weeknights when you're hungry and about to call for takeout. I also include instructions for making this an Instant Pot Sweet Potato Soup recipe.
How to make sweet potato soup
With such a simple ingredient list, prep for this recipe is super fast.
One big time saver to get this from stove to bowl quickly is microwaving rather than peeling and dicing the sweet potatoes. This cuts the prep and cook time by a lot. If you’re not a fan of the microwave, peel and dice and roast or boil those taters! See the notes following the recipe.
Another timesaver I give you in the recipe notes is how to make this an instant pot sweet potato soup. This is helpful when you're short on time or just super hungry...
See the process of making five ingredient vegan sweet potato soup:
How to serve sweet potato soup
We topped our sweet potato soup with a cashew cream and some fresh basil, with fresh crusty bread for dunking. Oh, so good.
Cilantro is another fresh herb that works well with these flavors, and a dairy free yogurt is a quick replacement for the cashew cream if you don't already have it on hand.
The recipe calls for fire roasted diced tomato. Reserving a tablespoon or two as topping is a colorful hint at what's inside.
I highly suggest that fresh crusty bread though, with any toppings you choose.
Ingredient variations for sweet potato soup
- instead of curry powder: This Sweet Potato Soup recipe calls for curry powder. For a completely different flavor profile, you can use a red curry paste instead. We love red curry flavor, and it always goes well with coconut based recipes too.
- substitute for coconut milk: As far as that coconut milk, it is a great compliment to the sweet potato and a great base for soup recipes. In place of the coconut milk, you can use a rich cashew milk, oat milk, or hemp milk. These are a few of my favorite "thicker" milks that add that delicious comfort food level of richness.
- replacing sweet potato: I love sweet potatoes and wouldn't replace them in this recipe. My husband doesn't care for them, and I bet he'd love this a a yellow curry potato soup, using a Yukon Gold potato instead.
- add ginger: the second time I made this, I added fresh grated ginger and it was a spicy punch of flavor! I peeled and grated a one inch piece of fresh ginger and stirred it in at the end of cooking.
Instant pot sweet potato soup
After making this recipe as written, I made it again a week later - as an instant pot sweet potato soup! This takes about 20 minutes off the total cook time, making this even better for busy weeknights.
See the recipe notes for cooking times and instructions, including very carefully releasing the steam and carefully blending with a stick blender.
Vegan sweet potato recipes
- See this entire collection of Sweet Potato Recipes, from breakfast to dinner to dessert!
Vegan soup recipes
- Chipotle Black Bean Soup: this incredibly flavorful soup is quick and easy with only 8 ingredients that you most likely have in the pantry right now!
- Tomato Orange Soup: our plant based take on this iconic Portland deli soup. this is a favorite recipe of ours - we think you'll want to make it as often as we do!
- Indo Chinese Corn Soup: wonderfully fragrant with bold flavors, this quick and easy Instant Pot soup will get a warming bowl on your dinner table in no time.
- Hearty Roasted Mushroom Bisque: you will never guess this creamy indulgent bowl is a plant based, no cream recipe! everyone loves this one.
- Instant Kimchi Noodle Soup: craving some noodles? learn how to make a quick kimchi, then add it to this instant soup recipe with layers of flavor.
- Roasted Purple Potato Soup: the nutrient rich soup with beautiful colors! all the veggies and goodness make this total comfort food.
Did you make this five ingredient sweet potato soup recipe?
Follow spabettie on Instagram and tag us with #spabettie
We love seeing your recipe photos and remakes - thank you!
- Microwave the sweet potatoes, starting with 3 minutes per potato. Test, then add 1 additional minute per potato until soft. Set aside until cool enough to handle. If you want to speed up the process, immerse in a bowl of ice water.
- When the sweet potatoes are cool enough to handle, split in half and scoop the flesh out into a bowl and discard the skins.
- Heat the oil in a soup pot. Add the onion and sauté until golden.
- Add the tomatoes, coconut milk, curry powder, and 2 cups water. Bring to a slow boil.
- Stir in the sweet potato. Puree the soup until smooth either by using an immersion blender or transferring (in batches if need be) to a blender.
- Heat the soup gently until it reaches a simmer, then season with salt and pepper. Serve at once, or if time allows, let it stand for a half hour or longer to allow the flavors to blend. Heat through gently as needed.
- Add some heat with sriracha or other hot sauce
- Top each serving with chopped cilantro, fresh basil, cashew cream or dairy free yogurt
- see variations in post about different flavors / ingredient suggestions
MORE TIME, LESS LAZY:
Before beginning the soup, peel the sweet potatoes and cut into large dice. Place in a large saucepan with barely enough water to cover. Bring to a slow boil, then lower the heat, cover, and simmer until tender, 15 to 20 minutes. Proceed with the recipe from step 3. If there’s still some cooking water remaining with the sweet potatoes, use less water in step 4 and adjust as needed.
PRESSURE COOKER INSTRUCTIONS:
- Follow instructions, using sauté function, up to bring to boil.
- Close and lock lid. Set to manual / high pressure for 10 minutes.
- After a natural release, carefully remove lid. Stir and carefully blend with stick blender.
- Serve with suggested garnish.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
5-Ingredient Vegan: 175 Simple, Plant-Based Recipes for Healthy Meals in Minutes
KitchenAid 2-Speed Stick Blender
Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Muir Glen Canned Tomatoes, Organic Whole Tomatoes, Fire Roasted, No Sugar Added, 28 Ounce
Organic Lite Coconut Milk, 13 fl oz (Pack of 6)
Thai Kitchen Gluten Free Red Curry Paste, 4 oz
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 162Total Fat: 4gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 125mgCarbohydrates: 20gNet Carbohydrates: 13gFiber: 7gSugar: 12gProtein: 3g
nutrition calculations results vary by calculator, are for informational purposes only, and are not intended to replace medical advice or treatment.
Vegan Sweet Potato Soup recipe reprinted with permission from 5-Ingredient Vegan © 2019 by Nava Atlas, Sterling Publishing Co., Inc
Kristina is spabettie! She found cooking at an early age, and created spabettie in 2010 to share vegan recipes. Kristina turned her culinary training into sharing vibrant vegan food! Read more...
spabettie / Kristina Sloggett is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.