this vegan French Buttercream recipe from Miyoko is a quick and easy plant based pantry classic – once you taste this frosting, it will be a staple in your kitchen too.
recipe originally published June 18, 2015, with permission from Ten Speed Press and Random House
Vegan French Buttercream Frosting
I remember so well the day we made French Buttercream in a culinary class. The thing about Miyoko’s Vegan French Buttercream is – the method is completely different, but the flavor and consistency is GOOD.
A mild, creamy sweet frosting with a good piping ability. Once you add any sort of food coloring – natural or otherwise – that will alter the stiffness of the frosting. However, many flavor or color additions will alter any frosting, vegan or otherwise. I often use natural powdered color like a dehydrated berry that I have just blitzed to a superfine powder.
Easy Vegan Recipes
These recipes come from Miyoko Schinner’s new cookbook, The Homemade Vegan Pantry – The Art of Making Your Own Staples.
I first had the pleasure of meeting Miyoko at a dinner with a group of friends back in 2012. Shortly after that, I sampled my first Miyoko cheese at an event. I immediately exclaimed, “this needs to be everywhere! you know that thing, where people say ‘I’d be vegan except for cheese’? THIS will change that!”
I remember that vividly. It was Miyoko’s brie that did it.
Fast forward a few years later, and luckily for everyone, Miyoko’s cheese is now available – in stores and online.
See Miyoko’s Vegan Butter Recipe, which is used in making French Buttercream.
Vegan Pantry Recipes
Miyoko’s book is an incredible resource.
Growing up with a mom who started cooking dinner from scratch in the afternoon, I have been looking forward to this book. My mom was doing things like rolling pasta dough on the counter and cutting noodles with a knife, and all of our cookies were from scratch.
I have had an advanced copy of Miyoko’s book for a bit now, and once I sat with it and read it cover to cover, I started cooking! First up was the Classic Pancake and Biscuit Mix – which we have used for pancakes three times already – perfect pancakes.
From my recent summertime cherry tree harvest, I have made Jam: The Easy, Cheat Method and also Any-Fruit Chutney, using a lovely combination of those fresh cherries and mango. I love both of these versatile recipes, and will use them often.
This book boasts several milk recipes, a Nice, Thick Nondairy Yogurt and an Amazing Cultured Creamless Sour Cream. There are several classic dressings, a pesto, cheeses, and a meringue.
Breads and crackers and doughs, oh my! Baking mixes and recipes to use with them. Pastas and sauces and Unsteak and Unribs. This book is a powerhouse of kitchen staples, from the basic to the brilliant!
recipes with Miyoko’s products
Did You Make This Vegan Buttercream Recipe?
Follow spabettie on Instagram and tag us with #spabettie
We love seeing your recipe photos and remakes – thank you!
- In a blender, combine water, cashews, and sugar, blend until creamy and smooth.
- Add the oil and cocoa butter, blend again to emulsify to a creamy consistency.
- Transfer the mixture to a bowl and chill in the refrigerator at least 2 to 3 hours; it will firm up a bit.
- Using an electric mixer, whip in the butter a tablespoon or two at a time, until light, fluffy, and increased in volume by 30 to 50 percent.
- Finally, add the vanilla and liqueur and mix to blend. If it does not whip up and become fluffy, it is not cold enough; return to refrigerator for 2 to 3 hours, then rewhip until you have mounds of fluffy buttercream.
- Use right away to decorate your layers or refrigerate for up to 2 weeks. Rewhip before using. You can also freeze this buttercream for 3 to 4 months.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- Organic Raw Whole Cashews, 32 oz
- Terrasoul Superfoods Organic Coconut Sugar, 2 Pounds
- La Tourangelle Organic Canola Oil 16.9 Fl. Oz, All-Natural
- Raw Cocoa Butter 16 oz. / 1 lb. 100% Pure Unrefined FOOD GRADE Arriba Nacional Cacao Bean, Bulk Rich Chocolate Aroma For Lip Balms, Stretch Marks, DIY Base For Body Butters & Soap Making
- Nielsen-Massey Madagascar Bourbon Pure Vanilla Extract, 4 ounces
- Vitamix 5300 Blender, Professional 64 oz. Low-Profile Container
- Pyrex Glass Mixing Bowl Set (3-Piece)
- KitchenAid KHM512IC 5-Speed Ultra Power Hand Mixer, Ice Blue
Serving Size:1/3 cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 203Total Fat: 18gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 73mgCarbohydrates: 1gFiber: 0gSugar: 1gProtein: 0g
Kristina is spabettie! She found cooking at an early age, and created spabettie in 2010 to share vegan recipes. Kristina turned her culinary training into sharing vibrant vegan food! Read more…
spabettie / Kristina Sloggett is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.