this gluten free vegan Bumbleberry Cobbler shows off bright bursting flavors of several berries hugged by a fluffy pillow of a cobbler top.
recipe originally published October 16, 2014
What is a Bumbleberry?
A hunt for a bumbleberry may take you a while. Bumbleberry refers to a mix of berries – blueberries, blackberries, and raspberries most commonly. This combination makes for a bright and juicy filling for a pie or cobbler, and I could not love it more!
Among my vast and treasured collection of cookbooks, I have every single cookbook that Julie Hasson has created. I love them all. As of a few years ago, I am lucky to call her a friend as well. Julie is local to Portland, and I am lucky to see her from time to time (we still need to have our lunch, Julie!).
Vegan Bumbleberry Cobbler
from Julie: In my book, you can never have enough berry dessert recipes. Ever!
This Bumbleberry Cobbler is another perfect berry dessert to add to your dessert rotation, no matter the season. One of the coolest things about this cobbler is that even though the berries go on the top, the batter below bakes up into a cake-like topping over them.
In addition to the successes of her fabulous baking mixes, Julie’s most recent project has been all about casseroles. You know I love comfort food, and this book has it – to the max.
From Caramelized Onion Dip and Loaded Nacho Fries to a Truffled Cauliflower Mac and a Creamy Spinach Florentine, Julie has you covered on game day appetizers and comforting pastas.
From Blueberry Peach Skillet Pie and an amazing Rustic Bread Pudding to an Old Fashioned Cinnamon Raisin Rice Pudding and Cinnamon Sugar Cheesecake Casserole, Julie also has all of your sweet bases covered.
Julie does desserts well.
The Bumbleberry Cobbler is the recipe I made first, and it is fantastic!
recipe reprinted with permission from VEGAN CASSEROLES © 2014 by Julie Hasson, Running Press, a member of the Perseus Books Group.
- 4 cups (1 pound) fresh or frozen mixed berries, such as blueberries, blackberries, and raspberries (unthawed if frozen)
- 1 cup granulated sugar, divided
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup plain unsweetened dairy free milk
- 1/3 cup non-hydrogenated vegan margarine or coconut oil, melted
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease an 11 x 7-inch glass or ceramic baking dish.
- In a medium bowl, toss the berries with 1/4 cup of the sugar.
- In a separate medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, and remaining 3/4 cup sugar. Add the soy milk, melted margarine, and vanilla, whisking to combine.
- Scrape the batter into the prepared baking dish. Scoop the berries evenly on top of the batter (don’t stir, as the batter will rise to the top as it bakes).
- Bake for about 65 to 70 minutes, or until the top crust is nicely browned and looks cooked through and the berries have formed a thick sauce. If it looks like there are a few spots where the batter isn’t cooked all the way through, which you can confirm by lightly touching the spots with your finger, continue baking for another 5 to 10 minutes, or until fully cooked through. Let the cobbler cool on a rack for 15 minutes before serving.
- Gluten-Free: Substitute a mix of 1/2 cup sorghum flour, 1/4 cup superfine brown rice flour, 1/4 cup potato starch, and 1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum for the all-purpose flour.
dairy, egg, soy and gluten free, vegan
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free All Purpose Baking Flour, 22-ounce
- 365 Everyday Value, Baking Powder, 10 Ounce
- Unsweetened Cashew Milk - 32 Fluid Ounces
- Nielsen-Massey Madagascar Bourbon Pure Vanilla Extract, 4 ounces
- Pyrex Glass Mixing Bowl Set (3-Piece)
- Silicone Whisk Spatula Spoonula Brush Set of 6 - Red
- Anchor Hocking 8-InchSquare Glass Baking Dish with Teal TrueFit Lid
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 296Total Fat: 13gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 44mgCarbohydrates: 24gFiber: 4gSugar: 29gProtein: 1g
Try AmazonFresh Free Trial for Unlimited Grocery Delivery – add these recipe ingredients to your list. use code FRESH25 for a $25 off discount on your first AmazonFresh order!
Kristina is spabettie! She discovered a love of cooking at an early age, and founded spabettie in 2010 to share vegan recipes. As the sole recipe developer and photographer, Kristina turned her culinary training into sharing flavorful and vibrant vegan food! She loves dachshunds, karaoke, drums, and travel.
spabettie / Kristina Sloggett is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.