tomato cheese pie bites

cheesy tomato pie bites

When did football become so dramatic?

My favorite Packers lost to the 49ers. I may as well be too, I don’t know who to root for now…

Duck fans are in a spin over the news that no, Chip Kelly is not staying in Oregon like he said he was.

…and then there’s something going on in Notre Dame? *sigh*

cheesy tomato pie

This is about the time I head back into the kitchen to make more game watching food. These tomato cheese pie bites are, to me, perfect football food. Of course they may create more drama – too girly? Too frilly? Too cheesy?

No – something can never be too cheesy.

tomato cheddar pie bites

tomato cheese pie bites

inspired by plum pie bites

dairy, egg, soy and gluten free, vegan

1 pint whole cherry tomatoes
2-3 ounces cheddar (dairy free)
recipe easy pie crust (vegan / gluten free)
2 tablespoons butter (dairy and soy free), melted

Rinse tomatoes and pat dry, leaving them ‘whole’. Slice cheddar into 1 1/2 inch squares. Roll out dough. Set a piece of cheddar on pie pastry dough, top with 1 or 2 tomatoes and cut around, leaving at least an inch around to wrap (eyeball this estimation based on size of tomatoes). Wrap pastry around cheddar and tomato, covering completely, place seam side down on prepared (parchment, silpat) baking sheet. Repeat with remaining tomatoes, dough.

Brush with melted butter. Bake at 350 degrees for 12-15 minutes, until crust is golden brown.

tomato cheese pie bites

Are you a football fan, or are you just there for the food?

Comments

Again, those look awesome. I’m not really a tomato person, but I’ve found over the years that those really small ones I can handle, especially when cooked. The flavor just changes and really pops. I’m not really a football fan at all. I like tailgating sometimes though 😉 Happy Friday!

• Kristina Sloggett says

the tailgating and the “party” atmosphere is really where its at with football, right? FOODball…

Those are flippen adorable! I’m totally trying this out! I wonder if you could do this with the tapioca rolls? You know I’m gonna have to try. You know we are not football fans here, but bring on the tiny food! We love our finger foods! Have a great weekend my friend!

• Kristina Sloggett says

I’m sure you could – you’ll have to let me know. and um… FLIPPEN? girl, that was SO a result of watching Napoleon Dynamite the other day… 😉

You’re a cheesehead?! NOOOO! DA BEARS!!! ;-D
    The ND thing has my head spinning…

I’ll take your delicious cheesy bites and try not to cry over your Packs and my Bears not making it to the Superbowl. Mkay?

“Too cheesy” reminds me of my friend Ryan, who bought a container of brownie bites one day only to find that they were “too fudgetastic”. Can such a thing exist?? :) These little bites sound like the perfect snack!

Yum, these look absolutely scrumptious! When you mentioned football, I started laughing all over again thinking about that funny video we were LOLing about on Facebook earlier this week 😉

• Kristina Sloggett says

hee hee, and now I am laughing again – “I FOUND FIDO!!” have you seen the other Bad Lip Reading videos?? there are TONS, and they are all HILARIOUS. THIS ONE is hilarious, watch it NOW!! –> Rick Perry BLR “save a pretzel for the gas jets” what??

• Kristina Sloggett says

right?? when Jason and I first discovered these (back in the height of the election craziness…) we sat there for … an hour? laughing at all of them. you should watch others – they are all hilarious!

• Kristina Sloggett says

knowing I bring smiles to you makes ME smile! I was just thinking the other day that I haven’t posted many photos since Rosemary joined us… not nearly enough, anyway… :) I will remedy that soon!

I just pinned these because they sound amazing…like a party in my mouth.

By the way, earlier this week, I nominated you for the Liebster blog award because I think you’re the coolest thing since sliced bread. Just saying.