sparkly spiked cran-raspberry granita

I am loving the cold smoky winter evenings, the cooler temperatures, the fact that the holidays are coming.

The one thing I miss this time of year are the fresh and bright summer fruits.

I am so so happy to be finding the most amazing fresh raspberries right now! These are so good – so sweet.

The holidays have pretty much started in my life, and holidays mean more get togethers, more entertaining, more imbibing. More rich foods, more delectable desserts, more cheersing and celebrating.

So sometimes a break is needed. A fresh dessert. Even if it is spiked.

This is fresh and refreshing, light and sweet tooth satisfying at the same time. Instead of straining the fruit and just using the flavored liquid, I made a puree and froze it – a bit heartier than a traditional granita. I think I like the full fruit version even better.

This makes a large amount and we will happily enjoy it for many desserts – I made half without the vodka so I could share with anyone… or eat for lunch.

sparkly spiked cran-raspberry granita

adapted from cranberry whiskey sour slush

dairy, soy, and gluten free, vegan

1 pint fresh raspberries
1 cup fresh cranberries
1/2 cup club soda
1/2 cup vodka
3 tablespoons agave
juice of 1 lime

In food processor, puree raspberries and cranberries until smooth. Add club soda, vodka, agave and lime juice, combine completely. Transfer to a freezer safe container, cover and freeze. When solid, scrape with fork to make ice granules. Garnish with lime.

or whip cream:

Cheers!

Comments

• Kristina Sloggett says

they really are so good – I have been loving the non spiked version, eating small amounts of it for a little flavor snack…

I’ve been obsessed with cranberries as of late (and may or may not have purchased giant bags of them from Costco–’tis the season?). And now you tell me I can add alcohol? Oh yes.

• Kristina Sloggett says

I will be sad when they are gone – I never expect to find them anymore, I keep buying them while I can, they are my favorite!

This looks amazing! Love the color! I’m having a hard time with getting my body temperature to figure out what’s going on. It’s frustrating. I’m either super hot or super cold…no in between! I blame part of it on running, but also the other part on my love of hot sauce. I ran today and sweat my butt off. Then I got chilled when I walked out in the cold air soaking wet. Then I took a warm shower and ate an egg vegetable stir fry loaded with sriracha for lunch and sweat again. Then, I drank some iced tea and was freezing…a happy medium would be nice right about now. I am enjoying this fall though. It’s so beautiful here!

• Kristina Sloggett says

haa, I know!! I am the same way right now – I always run cold (so cold right now…), but when I am eating something with the requisite hot sauce, I’m warm before I even finish. think I’m using too much? πŸ˜‰ gluten will do it to me too… *sigh* I know I should stay away…

• Kristina Sloggett says

same here Molly – although Jason likes his whiskey so I may have to make him the whiskey – cranberry version… :)

Ooh, this does sound amazing! I may have to make a batch for Thanksgiving, as kind of a palate-cleansing alcoholic libation. We don’t like cranberry sauce, but Something cranberry is clearly required!

• Kristina Sloggett says

:) I like tangy too, Shulie – not much of a sweet cocktail fan here. and I am enjoying the non boozy version just as much…

4. Nina says

How did you know that my raspberry bushes are going nuts producing fruit right now? πŸ˜‰
    Fabulous timing for me. Can’t wait for all that luscious fruit to ripen, so I can make this. Sounds like a great Christmas and New Years treat for us Aussies.
    Thank you for sharing it with us.

• Kristina Sloggett says

ooh, lucky Nina to have your own raspberries – this will be perfect for your holidays, enjoy and cheers!

Oh these are so awesome and festive! Would it be bad to have one of the vodka ones for lunch…I kid I kid… πŸ˜‰

Your photos are gorgeous!

• Kristina Sloggett says

thank you so much, Aggie! and I won’t tell if you won’t … πŸ˜‰ (it’s 5 o’ clock somewhere, right?)

You said the magic word! Spiked! We’re on the same wavelength today with colorful festive concoctions. πŸ˜‰ Yours is so colorful that it doesn’t look real! And fresh raspberries right now? That’s amazing!

xo,
    Shirley

• Kristina Sloggett says

I know, the color is so vibrant (and not at all edited, it is that pretty in person too!) :) I am loving the fresh raspberries while I can… I expect to not find any each time I go to the store…

7. Suzie says

Any idea whether champagne would work in lieu of the club soda and vodka? I think it would taste great but I’m wondering if it would affect the texture.

• Kristina Sloggett says

Suzie,

I haven not tried champagne with this recipe, but I do know it works just fine! (I have made a champagne and citrus granita before, using grapefruit, lemon juice and champagne).

Cheers!

• Suzie says

Wonderful! My husband makes a delicious homemade chocolate mousse and I think a dollop of this granita and a sprig of mint would be the perfect garnish.

Thank you and Happy Holidays!

Trackbacks