ginger wasabi filled chocolate skulls

Happy Halloween! I think I might do months of treats and sweets more often – this sure was fun!

My last treat is perfect for Halloween, and these can be handed out to the parents walking around with their kids. Well, the adventurous parents…

Ever since I made my first filled candies, the raspberry jalapeno chocolates, I have wanted to make more – they are just too fun.

I found this skull ice cube mold recently, and knew I was going to fill it with chocolate, not water. I found some wasabi powder (three ingredients – horseradish, spirulina, turmeric) and blended it with maple syrup and a base of tahini, and finely chopped ginger. Oh so good.

Happy Halloween, indeed!

ginger wasabi filled chocolate skulls

dairy, egg, soy, and gluten free, vegan

makes 12 chocolate skulls

8 ounces dark chocolate, chopped
1/3 cup tahini paste
3 tablespoons maple syrup
1 tablespoon wasabi paste or powder (adjust to taste)
5-6 pieces crystallized ginger, minced fine

In small saucepan over low heat, melt chocolate until smooth. Spoon a small amount into each mold, and using a small paintbrush, coat the mold completely. Place in refrigerator for 5 minutes or until chocolate has set.

Meanwhile, stir together tahini, maple syrup, wasabi and ginger. Fill each mold with wasabi tahini filling, leaving room at the top to seal with more chocolate. Reheat remaining chocolate and fill each mold, covering the filling completely. Tap molds on counter to remove any bubbles, return to refrigerator to set.

Happy Halloween – are you doing anything fun?

Virtual Vegan Potluck

these pepper jacks were shared with Virtual Vegan Potluck!

Comments

ooh, those little skull molds are awesome! tonight I have to teach yoga, but after that I’ll go into town where the whole city center is closed to cars and people parade around in their costumes. It’s so much fun!

that sounds like a fun time – I would love to find a celebration like that next year, especially if we can bring a pup – I don’t like to think of Basil home alone on Halloween, if people are coming to the door…

we had fun with candy duty – Jason and I took turns wearing the horse head mask – whomever had that on had to hold Basil while the other person answered the door and gave out candy! SO FUN!

Ha these are so cute and woah what a super creative flavor combo, I love it.
    We’re having a night in tonight, getting ready for our trip next week, but I do plan to watch It’s the Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown in just a bit, while I sip on some wine! Have a great night!

hee hee, I like when my recipes make people scream in excitement – I hope you do make these, Macey – enjoy!

at a local grocery store here – our local version of a Whole Foods, just in the accessories section (I love that section…)

Those skulls are adorable – well as adorable as skulls can be – wow wasabi! I don’t know if I would be brave enough to try them but they sure look good.

I know the heat isn’t for everyone… the skulls are fun, though. I don’t think I can wait until next Halloween to use them again, may have to make more skulls just because!

they were pretty amazing… try a smaller batch in case you are not really fond of them? the tahini shortbread, make a double batch 😉

I agree, Erin – the first time I tried it was with my raspberry jalapeno chocolates and those were well received by everyone who tried them… already thinking of my next combination… :)

awesome – I love these skulls, I know I’ll be using this mold a lot! (chocolate was the first thing I thought of…) 😀

4. Julia says

Ok. I made the chocolates, not skulls though :-( as part of my x-mas gift boxes, they went in w/the cayanne truffles, red wine truffles & green tea lollipops. They will now be added EVERY year. Everyone LOVED them. I had to make 3 batches b/c my kids couldn’t stop eating them. Thank you

I am SO excited to try and make these…even if I don;t have the skull moulds – divine! 😀 My face just burst into a big smile when I saw these!

I just had to hop by from Virtual Vegan Linky Potluck to see your Ginger Wasabi Filled Chocolate Skulls recipe and to explore your blog! What a delectable holiday treat! I can’t wait to try your recipe at home.I’m pinning and sharing this! All the best, Deborah

• Kristina Sloggett says

thank you, Deborah – nice to see you here :) this is one of my favorite truffle recipes, and even if people are not into super spicy, these work!

Trackbacks