savory tomato protein pancakes with brussels and potatoes

When I was a kid, I remember being so happy when we had breakfast for dinner. It did not happen often, making the rarity that much more special. You see, my mom makes the best breakfast.

Pancakes, french toast, eggs – whatever it was, she made for us while we all sat around the table enjoying… then she made hers last. We would all be done, up and cleaning our plates… then we’d hover around Mom wanting a bite of hers, because somehow the way mom made hers always tasted better.

I feel like I need to invite mom over and make her breakfast. Every weekend, forever.

Now I can have breakfast for dinner Whenever. I. Want. and you know? It’s not really all that often.

What if you want pancakes for dinner, but also crave veggies? You make a savory pancake stack! These bright orange tomato pancakes were a perfect pairing with the easy steamed veggies I recently had the opportunity to try – this was the first time I have had brussels sprouts since I was a kid!

Backyard Grilled Potatoes on one side, Salt and Pepper Brussels Sprouts on the other – these quick steam sides were flavorful, and could not have been easier, they steamed while I was flipping pancakes.

savory tomato protein pancakes

adapted from sweet cream protein pancakes

egg, soy, dairy and gluten free, vegan

makes 8 regular size pancakes

1/2 cup raw cashews
1 cup almond milk
1/3 cup tomato paste
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 cup gluten free all purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon xanthan gum
pinch sea salt

Combine cashews and milk in high speed blender, blend on highest speed to a smooth liquid. Add tomato paste and garlic, blend until smooth. In mixing bowl, whisk together flour, xanthan gum and salt. Pour cashew milk mixture into dry ingredients, whisk until just combined. Using 1/4 cup scoop, form pancakes onto prepared (buttered, sprayed) griddle over medium heat. Pancakes will not bubble, will easily come up to turn after one minute. Flip and cook another half minute or so, until cooked through.

tomato tahini sauce

egg, soy, dairy and gluten free, vegan

1/2 cup tahini paste
1/3 cup tomato paste
1 clove garlic, minced fine
juice of 2 lemons
1-2 tablespoons water, to thin
sea salt

Whisk or blend tahini, tomato paste, garlic and lemon juice – add water to reach desired consistency.

Seasoned Steamers™, a new line of Green Giant® vegetables, gives you unexpectedly delicious taste in every vegetable bite.  These chef-inspired, seasoned vegetables come in six new varieties ranging from smoky roasted cues to ethnic inspired flavors.  By roasting, seasoning and freezing individual pieces, our vegetables lock in flavor so delicious, your family will ask for more.  In less than 8 minutes, your family can enjoy new Seasoned to Delicious™ Seasoned Steamers™.

Compensation was provided by General Mills via Glam Media. The opinions expressed herein are those of spabettie and are not indicative of the opinions or positions of General Mills.

You hadn’t had brussels since childhood?? Ohhh, you’ve been missing out! They are definitely up there in terms of my favorite vegetables. And my mom would always serve herself pancakes last, too. No way could I be a mom–I want my pancakes as soon as they’re cooked. Or sooner. Which is probably why my pancakes always look like a mess–I never wait long enough before flipping.

I know, I have recently learned the patience of pancake flippin’. 😉 I’ve never liked the brussels… but a friend recently requested that I come up with a fun recipe (still working on the nerve to try that one…) so when I had the opportunity to try these, I figured I should give it a go. they were good… dipped in the sauce :)

I should have gotten those brussel sprouts, I was SO close. I love that we both did a breakfast theme with our veggies, it is the perfect time of day to add a little extra. and those pancakes look amazing. I’m always impressed at how perfect your pancakes look – must be a special talent that I don’t really have. 😉

the brussels were good – I dipped them in the sauce… I never liked brussels, and have been thinking lately of giving them a try, so this was a perfect opportunity! the potatoes though? WE LOVED THEM, I will be buying those again, so easy and tasty!

for so long I would ask Jason to cook the pancakes… I’ll make the batter and then he can cook them, because I would always say “I don’t make good cakes” … but just keep the temp low, use VERY little griddle prep (I usually spray), and they’ve been turning out great! I am loving pancakes now…

Breakfast for dinner remains to this day one of my all-time favorite things. Love the idea of making the pancakes savory as I’m always looking for easy ways to mix up weeknight dinners.

i’d eat savory breakfasts any time of the day! those pancakes look so perfectly round and pretty:) i can eat up the whole plate. potatoes with anything and i am in! i like my brussels breaded and roasted. i love the crunch:)

oooh, I have to try them breaded – brussels sprouts are a new thing for me, and… I need “toppings” to help me enjoy them! :)

I was just thinking that pancakes sounded good for dinner tonight! I’m always trying to figure out how to have breakfast for dinner and get some veggies in! brussels sprouts go much better with tomato pancakes than with sweet, syrupy ones!

haa, yep – I don’t think I’d want brussels with sweet pancakes! 😉 they went well with these, though!

Thanks for the recipes…I love savory pancakes!
    My favorite breakfast-for-dinner dish as a kid was my mom’s salty buttery potato frittata. That was it, thick potato slices, eggs, salt and butter. Sometimes veggies mixed in if mom was in the mood. I’m sure there’s a vegan version…maybe with tofu? I gotta search for one now. Until then, I’ve got some tomato paste in the kitchen just waiting to be pancaked. :)
    ps…I’m running a tiny little giveaway on my tiny little blog. Come visit! :)

mmm, buttery salty? two of my favorites! that frittata sounds fantastic! and yay, I hope you enjoy these pancakes! XO

oh, THIS one isn’t “the one” 😉 I actually have a fun idea for a brussels appetizer… coming soon! (if it works)

• Michelle says

Can’t wait to see what you come up with -I’m sure whatever it is will be fantastic- you are a culinary genuis :) !

thanks, Sarena! I have been wanting to make a tomato pancake for a while now – and I’ve now made these three times! (sandwich bread!)

OMG, these are awesome!! I love the idea of adding veggies to pancakes and sauce!! I’m not sure I can do the pancakes (don’t do grains) but I’m definitely inspired! And will have to try that sauce. I love sauces and am getting bored with my basic nutritional yeast/Braggs/soaked almonds mix. 😉 Thanks for the ideas!

thanks, Suzannah! you could make an almond meal and use that in place of the flour! texture might be different, but probably even more delicious! tahini is my favorite, and I am always adding things to it for sauces.

mmm, pumpkin pancakes are great too – I made a pumpkin spice french toast the other day… Mmmm. 😉 I hope you do try these, and love them as much as we did! :)

we had these for dinner last night (yes I get right on it LOL) and we loved them! I added some italian spice to the cake batter, and used a sunflower seed butter in place of tahini (I was out, gasp!) but it was delicious all the same! thanks Kris, my kids love you!!

I eat breakfast at all hours of the day and this is definitely going on the menu but what do you think of making the recipe as waffles instead? These would be awesome as waffles for dinner with the sides and even throw in chopped spinach into the batter.

I think this batter would work great as waffles – especially if you add spinach (bulk up the batter a bit). I hope you try these, the flavor is really good!