curried lentil soup with cauliflower croutons

in Dinner, Gluten Free, recipes, Vegan

All of the sudden, Portland is cold. Jason and I spent all Valentines day together, going to breakfast, running errands, walking the dog… you know, comforting togetherness. All day, though, both of us kept talking about how cold it was (and Jason is never cold!). Coming home after Valentines dinner out, there was ice on the ground where we live.

Portland finally got it’s winter! That means all kinds of comforting soups and lots of slow cooker action. While our favorite soup continues to be my African peanut, we like all kinds of soup around here.

I always like my soups to have some kind of crunchy garnish, so this curried lentil soup comes with cauliflower croutons.

Yeah, I could eat a whole pan of that. I will even admit that I have. Oops. Yes, I had to make another batch for a recipe. It was worth the drive back to the store…

See these recipes on Foodie.

1 Heather (Where's the Beach) February 15, 2012 at 5:38 am

YUM and love the idea of using the cauliflower as croutons!

2 spabettie February 17, 2012 at 2:13 pm

so SO good…

3 Nichole February 15, 2012 at 5:45 am

That’s the only way you are going to get me to eat cauliflower:)

4 spabettie February 17, 2012 at 2:13 pm

ha! you will definitely like it this way…

5 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen February 15, 2012 at 5:53 am

I would’ve eaten the whole pan too! Not that the soup doesn’t look delicious but those crunchy cauliflower pieces definitely steal the show :)

6 spabettie February 17, 2012 at 2:12 pm

I know, I know. the soup is good, but… MOST soups need something, right? :)

7 Christine (Merf) February 15, 2012 at 6:58 am

I’m definitely pinning this one because I have a whole bag of lentils dying to be eaten!

8 spabettie February 17, 2012 at 2:12 pm

oh good! I hope you love it! :D

9 Cara February 15, 2012 at 7:44 am

It’s getting pretty chilly over here too! I think yesterday it reached 63 degrees. Brrrrrrrrrr! I had to break out my winter coat {true story}. Ha. I think the best thing to warm me heat is to make some of those cauliflower croutons, which I’m super digging on over here.

10 spabettie February 17, 2012 at 2:10 pm

63!! ooh, girl I’d take that ;) it’s like 33 here. Basil doesn’t enjoy it out there… cauliflower croutons make everything warmer though, right? or something like that. miss chatting with you… hope to be able to be online more soon XO

11 Cara February 18, 2012 at 8:38 pm

The Sun and I miss you tooooooooooooo!!!! But we are sending lots of love and healing energy your way :) We’ll be waiting for your return… xo

12 Amber Shea @Almost Vegan February 15, 2012 at 8:41 am

You hit upon my favorite combo: cauliflower + curry. Nom!

13 spabettie February 17, 2012 at 2:06 pm

ha – look at that! :) great minds pairing great flavors…

14 Kris | iheartwellness.com February 15, 2012 at 8:45 am

I LOVE Cauliflower!!!! Great pics, I could swim in this with my mouth open….jeez, its only 8:45 am and I need it!

xxoo

15 spabettie February 17, 2012 at 2:01 pm

haa – I am now picturing you swimming in this, you know that right? :) Mmm, that would be a good swim!

16 Kim - Liv Life February 15, 2012 at 9:58 am

I know I can’t really complain about the cold here, but I’ve been cold! We love cauliflower here and this would truly hit the spot. Nicely done!

17 spabettie February 17, 2012 at 1:59 pm

I can’t complain either (that never does any good – hee!), and it’s cozy, anyway… looking forward to spring already, though…

18 Lauren @ Oatmeal after Spinning February 15, 2012 at 10:50 am

I LOVE African peanut soup! I just had some for lunch. :) I have some lentil soup cooking in the crock pot as we speak. I can’t wait to get home and be greeted by the wonderful smells…
I could easily eat the whole tray of roasted cauliflower, too.
We still haven’t really gotten our winter- it’s so weird! It’s in the 50s today again, and we have yet to get any snow that actually sticks to the ground. (And this teacher could USE a snow day!)

19 spabettie February 17, 2012 at 1:58 pm

oh how I love to put something in our slow cooker and come back at the end of the day, dinners ready! :) nice to be greeted by great smells, too – I joke with Basil “what have you been cooking us all day?”. he just gives me the side eye. ;)

I am wishing you a snow day… hope it comes soon! XO

20 Anna @ On Anna's Plate February 15, 2012 at 11:37 am

Cauliflower and curry is such a delicious combination. Hope y’all are staying warm!!

21 Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) February 15, 2012 at 11:38 am

I love roasted broccoli and cauliflower! This looks and sounds amazing for the cooler weather!

22 spabettie February 17, 2012 at 1:55 pm

this was GOOD on a cold day… but I’d eat that cauliflower ANY day. ;)

23 STUFT Mama February 15, 2012 at 5:04 pm

I’ve eaten a whole pan of my own too, but I would probably eat two pans of yours!!! :) Off to foodie to check out the recipe. :) You are just amazing lady! PS- It’s rainy and cold here in CA today and I’m loving it!!!!

24 spabettie February 17, 2012 at 1:45 pm

oh, hello, dear friend! I miss you so, and it’s good to see you here! :) I thought of you just this morning, and one of these days I’ll finish my Fat Kitty adventures. I miss being online with everyone. <3 here's to a GIANT pan of crunchy cauliflower! XO

25 Pure2raw twins February 15, 2012 at 6:59 pm

love the idea of cauliflower as croutons!!!

26 Richa@HobbyandMore February 15, 2012 at 10:58 pm

i love me some crunchy cauli any day! just heard of foodie.. what does it do different?

27 spabettie February 17, 2012 at 1:39 pm

hi Richa – foodie is the new site that features Glam publishers – original recipes that are not on our blogs and social tools from Ning.com – fun conversations, etcetera. You can create a profile to follow the contributors and connect… there will be more things happening after this initial launch, including digital cookbooks! :)

28 Richa@HobbyandMore February 17, 2012 at 1:43 pm

hmm.. i hope they do add more features.. coz the search and categories in recipes isnt fun:)

29 Lauren @ Healthy Food For Living February 16, 2012 at 3:26 pm

This soup sounds simply fantastic! I LOVE curry, have recently developed an adoration for red lentils, and am obsessed with roasted cauliflower. Definitely a must-make!

30 spabettie February 17, 2012 at 12:47 pm

hi Lauren – I hope you do make this, and love it as much as we do… roasted cauliflower is SO good, right? red lentils are fairly new to me, this is one of the first recipes I’ve made with them.

31 Roz@weightignfor50 February 16, 2012 at 4:10 pm

Hi Kris. OMG, this looks amazing. LOVE the idea of the cauliflower croutons. Thanks as always for the great recipes, and the lovely photos.

32 spabettie February 17, 2012 at 12:43 pm

hi Roz! glad you like the croutons – these are a new favorite… and THANK YOU, that is so nice to hear! thank you for your continued reading! XO

33 Kath (My Funny Little Life) February 16, 2012 at 4:58 pm

Oooohhhhh, this looks nice! I imagine this soup almost melts on the tongue! :D

34 spabettie February 17, 2012 at 12:40 pm

indeed… I would say that. :D

35 Roxana GreenGirl { A little bit of everything} February 18, 2012 at 9:38 am

i can’t quite complain about the weather we had so far this winter but tomorrow are expected 4 to 6 inches of snow. that’s cold! This soup would warm our tummies!
Love the addition of coconut milk. mmm

36 Jennifer February 23, 2012 at 11:11 pm

congrats on foodie! I love your recipes.

37 Jill February 28, 2012 at 1:47 pm

congrats on Foodie – much deserved!

38 Jennifer March 10, 2012 at 12:28 am

I love this soup! so awesome to use cauliflower as croutons, never would have come up with that one!

39 Paula March 20, 2012 at 1:41 pm

congrats on foodie, well deserved. you have one of my favorite website (and trust, I read a lot of them, some for my job!!)

40 spabettie March 22, 2012 at 10:53 am

thank you, Paula – yes, that is a BIG compliment for me, coming from you!

41 Marla March 22, 2012 at 9:04 am

soup’s on! this sounds amazing, and I love that you used crunchy cauli for croutons, very unique! girl can I just come stay with you for a month and absorb all that kitchen creativity??

42 Marla March 22, 2012 at 10:33 am

oh, also congratulations on foodie (nice!!) and today’s feature too, you must be excited proud!

43 Britney March 22, 2012 at 11:01 am

looks tasty, love the croutons. pretty pics too, whats your camera?

44 Jennifer March 22, 2012 at 12:56 pm

I love when I see my friend spabettie all over the web! today in a MAGAZINE?????? you rock, lady.

45 Forla March 22, 2012 at 2:09 pm

so cold here still, this soup will make a perfect dinner tonight, thanks!

46 Rachael March 27, 2012 at 9:56 am

this is a great flavored soup, thanks for the recipe. the cauliflower “croutons” are perfect too!

47 Hannah April 3, 2012 at 10:48 am

congratulations on the features you have been offered, well deserved! bookmarking this as well!

48 Grandma Wrinkles April 21, 2012 at 7:16 am

I love the use of cauli as crunchy!!

DMW

49 Gloria May 21, 2012 at 9:16 pm

I love cauliflower roasted, never thought to make them croutons! thanks I’m doing this