tahini almond date bites

I have a new addiction.

It’s Yelp.

I’m checking in everywhere. All the time. To see my daily ranking go up, to collect badges and Dukedoms. Yes, I am a Duchess now. Do Duchii wear crowns? Because I’d like to wear a crown.

There are some actual benefits to Yelping – I’ve been invited to a couple VIP events already – but so far I am only interested in the stats, and becoming The Duchess of as many places as I can. Soon I will be Duchess of the gym – yes, that one is near.

I realize this is old news for many, and for some, it’s a Huh?? It’s probably similar to Angry Birds or Farm Whatever (which I learned how to block on facebook, by the way!).

It once more confirms that I am obsessive delighted by the little things. That sometimes the little things are key.

Recently I was sent a huge box of goodies from Bard Valley Natural Delights. Medjool dates. Coconut date rolls. Pistachio date rolls. All kinds of deliciousness.

While we have been eating many of the dates as is – which is caramely candy like goodness – I did save some to make a few recipes with. This is the first one I’m sharing with you – a very easy and uniquely flavored treat. You know I love my tahini. This recipe does not have added sugars – if you’ve enjoyed a Medjool you know it is not necessary. Also, sprouted almonds. Have you tried these yet?

What. You’re going to tell me sprouted almonds are like Yelp, old news.

That’s okay, they are delicious and they are a party I am fine to be late to.

tahini almond date bites

vegan, gluten free, no added sugar

makes 20-22 1-inch bites

12-14 large dates, pitted
1/2 cup raw almonds (I used sprouted)
1/3 cup tahini
pinch sea salt
1-2ย tablespoonsย water
1/4 cup sesame seeds to coatย

In food processor, pulse almonds until crumbly, partly smooth. Add dates, tahini and salt, continue to process. Texture will still be slightly crumbly – add water (1 tablespoon at a time) and dough should quickly form. Form into 1 inch rounds, roll in sesame seeds to coat, and roll in hands to flatten sesame seeds into ball. Cool in refrigerator to firm.

I just ate several of these, and now it’s time to do some stretching – I have a downward dog lesson from my favorite yogi (look at that perfect form!). I need to find a yoga studio to become Duchess of.

Post sponsored by Bard Valley Natural Delights. My absolute love of Medjool dates is unbiased.

hope you like them, Wendy! and WOW – Gravitas looks fun, I may work up the nerve to try it sometime ๐Ÿ˜‰ see you soon!

i’m a yelpaholic too! lets yelp together.
    And dates are so cheap here. The good kind! i could make these. Not as pretty as your though.

Mmmm, dates – nature’s candy! Love ’em and can’t get enough, seriously! (probably hard to believe coming from a candy/cookie fanatic)

The bites seem like they would end up sort of Larabar-like, which is definitely a good thing!

yes, I actually thought about making bars out of these. or longer strips, anyway… they do resemble a larabar…

I like Yelp too :-)

These balls are so pretty—I love the sesame seeds on the outside! The flavor combo sounds great too, with the contrast between the tahini and dates especially (I’m guessing that creates a nice balance!).

Happy Weekend Friend!

the flavors are good – I like a sweet and savory. I hope you have a great weekend too, Lisa B! (Basil wags hello!) :)

girl you NEED to try it – I really think you’d like it… it’s sesame seed paste, has a nutty savory flavor and is sort of similar to a nut butter consistency…

Man!!! I’m always late to the party.

Anyhow, yelp is fun. Remember I did that post about funny yelp reviews? Who needs crappy tv when you have yelp to keep you occupied!

I’ve been checking in everywhere. even the hospital ๐Ÿ˜‰ (I should TOTALLY be Duchess of the ICU by now!!).

definitely! I just started in December, so I’m not Elite yet… although I have been invited to a couple events already (they must open them up to the minions after a while…?) :) how long does it take to get to Elite? all I am doing is checking in, should I do reviews too?

I have a couple of colleagues that love yelp, but I haven’t gotten into it yet… I have a pretty addictive personality. Maybe it’s best if I just avoid it hehe. I love these date balls, you didn’t such an amazing job at making them so clean looking. I can appreciate how challenging it is to get the sesame seeds on the ball without making them goopey!

yep – you better not then. I have an addictive personality when it comes to competitive things, and kicking people off their “dukedom” and getting a good ranking number – sigh – that’s fun to me. at least right now. ๐Ÿ˜‰

and YES! I’m happy you appreciate the sesame seed application! although it was kind of easy with these, I think the texture is soft enough that they kinda sink in… I love the look and it’s one I’ve been trying to get for a while! (okay, this officially sounds weird, since I am talking about… FOOD. I know you understand, though). ๐Ÿ˜€

This is hilarious because the other day I was going to write on my facebook about my newfound love of…yoga…and wanted to see if anyone else has heard of it too. haha. Who knew it was so good for you (and enjoyable too) ??? Apparently I am late on things as well but hey, at least we show up, regardless :) Your balls look perfect, by the way. And that sounded perverted.

haa haa – what IS this yoga you speak of? ๐Ÿ˜€ my yoga practice goes in phases, and I am currently NOT in a yoga phase… but I’m carrying stress and stretching is helping.

not just late – fashionably late. that’s what we are. with perfect balls.

7. Jennifer says

I am making these right now because FOR ONCE I have all of the necessary ingredients. But a question – how long do you think they will keep? Should I freeze extras? or would the refrigerator be good enough? (I am assuming I won’t devour all in one sitting…which could happen. Just sayin’).

hi Jennifer, I store mine in the fridge, only once did I put them in the freezer when we were going out of town. They don’t take long to defrost if you wanted to save some in the freezer – this recipe makes quite a few! I hope you love them!

• Jennifer says

I do indeed love them! Thanks for your speedy reply. And just for the record, I did not eat them all at once! But I wanted to. They are nicely stored in my fridge! Thanks again!!