garlic pistachio cranberry tarts

I expressed an unpopular opinion on twitter and facebook the other night. Honestly, I knew the backlash would come.

I asked – what is the appeal of The Princess Bride?

Eeep, I know, what was I thinking? It was early in, I was a little distracted (this was my first time seeing it!), and it did get better as I started to give it my full attention. I laughed out loud several times.

While I did have a couple replies that said they felt the same, most joked that “I can’t even look at you now” and “I don’t know if I can be friends with you”. Several clever people simply said “As you wish.”

People love their pirates, princesses and giants.

I promised to watch again soon, while not doing anything else. Oh, and from the beginning. We missed the several minutes.

On to something I liked the very first time…

My ginger cranberry sauce.

These tarts are one of those recipes I cannot wait to make again, we all liked them that much! The garlic onion pistachio filling is one I keep thinking of, coming up with new ways to use it.

Although ‘by the spoonful’ is a good choice.

These have such amazing flavors, people that actually like turkey may not miss it. I only wish I had thought of these years ago – I’ve never eaten turkey.

savory garlic pistachio spread

vegan, gluten free

1/2 cup raw pistachios, shelled and soaked
1/2 cup raw cashews, soaked
1 or 2 small garlic cloves, minced*
1 tablespoon onion powder
sea salt to taste
water as neededΒ

*I used 2 garlic cloves, they were small, and I like garlic.Β

Combine soaked pistachios and cashews in food processor, blend until almost creamy. While blending, add garlic, onion powder and salt. Add water as needed to reach desired consistency, 1 tablespoon at a time. For this recipe, I wanted it thick enough to pipe into tart shells, and used 2 tablespoons.

garlic pistachio cranberry tarts:

Cook packaged (vegan!) tart shells according to package. Pipe (about 2 tablespoons) garlic pistachio spread into each, and top with (about a tablespoon) ginger cranberry sauce. These are great served warm or room temperature.

Do you love The Princess Bride?

Favorite quote?

Comments

Fred Savage, of course!

Maybe it helps if you saw the movie as a kid when it first came out. Looking back, I’m not so sure I would love it if I first saw it today. :-)

That looks amazing!

I am not a fan of the Princess Bride—I don’t get it. Maybe it’s one of those that is about nostalgia or something, and if you didn’t watch it when you were young…it’s just not all that appealing? I don’t know—but I don’t get it!

Haha! The Princess Bride berating made the blog! Love it! I think you really do need to give it a second chance….it’s just one of those witty classics that’s great for lazy Saturday afternoons!

Favorite quote (besides the little guy saying “Inconceivable!” all the time, is: “Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.” Hahaha!

These look PHENOMENAL girl! Wow….just WOW!!

ha – several people quoted that line to me. πŸ˜‰ it was really funny seeing everyones responses. the next morning there were more! :)

and thanks, we like these too… kinda decadent from my normal eats, but… it’s the holidays! :)

Wow, these tarts look amazing. But on to more important things – Princess Bride… I think it’s like any show we watched when we were kids. We thought it was AWESOME then we watch it again as adults and we remember it being awesome, but aren’t sure why. If I hadn’t grown up watching Princess Bride once a day for a solid year at least, I would have to agree with you. I think the only reason I still like it is because I know I loved it when I was little!

ha – watching it once a day for a year… I was like that with some movies. it’s really funny that I never saw this, I hear people talk about it more NOW then I remember hearing about it when I was a kid?? admittedly, I didn’t watch a lot of television, and movies were usually at slumber parties. I don’t know. the humor seems like my style, so I think I need to give it another chance.

i must have missed that twitter banter, but i can only imagine the teasing you got! as a little girl i grew up watching that movie often so it holds a soft spot in my heart, and i’m not gonna lie, i can recite almost the entire film word for word.

upon meeting my husband i discovered that he’d never seen it {gasp!} so i forced a viewing upon him and he didn’t fall in love with it either. i really think that there’s something about the nostalgia associated with the love of the princess bride, and other movies of the same time {willow, the goonies, etc}. but that scene with billy crystal & carol kane?? hilarious!!

also, LOVE the looks of these little bite-sized goodies! what brand of tart shells did you use?

I THINK they were Pepperidge Farm puff pastry shells (freezer section). Most of the things I see in the freezer or refrigerated sections are vegan, made with vegetable oils not butter. not ideal, and unfortunately not gluten free, but… every now and then, I’m okay!

the twitter and facebook “fallout” was pretty funny – people quoting their favorite lines, and just telling me they couldn’t believe me. :)

I think the appeal of The Princess Bride is really from childhood, you know? I mean, were I to watch Pee Wee’s Big Adventure now as an adult, I would think: “Really Cara? You loved this movie as a kid?!!” (oh wait, bad example, I still like that movie–but you get my drift). It just sticks as a classic into adulthood and I would imagine were you to watch it for the first time as an adult, the lure would not be there as much. But the lure IS there for those tarts! Heck yeah–yee haw! :)

*sigh* I didn’t. :( (the pistachio spread is gluten free, but I untagged gf for this post – I am so used to everything being gf!) Jason and I are really the only people who are almost completely gluten free, so I made these knowing everyone else at the party would enjoy… and I did too… just felt puffy the next day.

it is on my list to attempt this, a gf puff pastry of sorts. sorry these aren’t. (and if I ever find any, you will be the next to know!!) πŸ˜€

haa – I was going to say, I KNOW you HAVE to love Pee Wee. πŸ˜‰

I’m going to watch again. Soon. If I still don’t like it, I’ll watch Pee Wee.

• says

You took my hopes up high only to squash them :( *le sigh* A girl can dream… I’m with you wanting to attempt a homemade version of them, it’s just that I read the directions and when it says: “Takes 16 hours to make” that is when I check out. I will put it on my to-do list for next year…

And hey, what do you mean you KNEW I love Pee Wee??? bahaha. I will accept that compliment with sheer delight :) Please don’t tell me you have never seen it… (This will destroy my perfect image of you)

ha, girl card. I liked Steel Magnolias, but… just liked. πŸ˜‰ It did get better as it went on (and I paid attention), and I can appreciate some of the funny. πŸ˜‰ ooh, garlic pistachio pasta. YES.

I’ve seen the Princess Bride a ton of times and while I do think some parts are funny, I don’t really understand all the hype either so you’re not alone.
    As for these tarts, I want to throw a new years party now just to be able to serve these! They’re super cute and I’m sure taste even better. Too bad all our friends have newborns this year and none want to leave their house. Lame.

aw! throw yourself a little party anyway? these tarts make a party. πŸ˜‰ I’m going to give Princess Bride another shot, I really need to pay closer attention.

8. bitt says

mmm a pistachio cashew spread sounds like a great combo. assuming the tarts are not GF? do you ever not eat GF? I forgot your reason for not eating gluten and how strict you had to be. if you found some GF vegan tarts like this I would have to have you mail me some, amazing!

This looks delicious! I could eat enough to feed an ROUS! I didn’t see Princess Bride until college. I don’t know why I like it. I think it’s from watching it on a 12 inch tv screen with my roommate next to me giggling her fool head off. Plus, I love Wallace Shawn. Ever since the Cosby Show. Never go against a Sicilian when death is on the line!!

I seriously was dreaming about making a pistachio dip the other day, so I should have known you were up to something! πŸ˜‰ This sounds amazing! And as for The Princess Bride, I love it. “There is a shortage of perfect breasts in the world… it’d be a pity to damage yours.” So many quotes in there!!! :)

Wow – this looks amazing! I have to admit, I love the Princess Bride. However, if we all had the same opinion, the world would be a boring place!

First – Gojee led to me your page – thankfully!

Can’t wait to try these for Thanksgiving, and maybe every weekend after that!

Princess Bride… I have to be in the mood for a fairytale, and then I truly enjoy the sardonic humor throughout.

• Kristina Sloggett says

hi Judy!! so happy you found me, and through Gojee is great too – isn’t that a fun site? I am happy you will be trying these – one of my very favorites – they are perfect for Thanksgiving and just a random weekend… πŸ˜‰ enjoy!

…I need to watch Princess Bride again soon.

If you haven’t watched it by the time I come see you, I’m making you watch it with me! I’m not going to get all dramatic and tell you we can no longer be friends…that would be silly. I’m a good forgiving person and I can accept your short comings. We just need to fix this and everything will be alright! πŸ˜‰

• Kristina Sloggett says

haa HAA… maybe I should wait until you are here, that would be fun! πŸ˜‰ and thank you for being understanding, you are so sweet, and I will mend my ways.

14. paula says

favorite quote: wizard of oz
    “don’t be afraid, you’ve always had the power”.
    Was training for the NY Marathon, and that became my mantra. Even found a ruby slipper charm.
    another goody” don’t ask if its going to be difficult, ask if it’s going to be worth it”.
    2 thumbs down for princess bride. 2 thumbs up for mandy patinkin. If you haven’t seen Yenytl.. DO IT. NOW!

• Kristina Sloggett says

I love Mandy Patinkin too – did you ever see the Dead Like Me series? MP is like the leader of the Grim Reapers.

and I LOVE that you quoted Wiz of Oz… one of my all time favorites!

Trackbacks