pizza flavored juice

in daily juice, recipes

When you juice as much as we have been lately, you start to 1) crave pizza 2) get creative.

Who doesn’t love pizza?

Okay, so before you eye roll or give me the side eye, hear me out. This is a very tasty juice – with a base of tomato and garlic flavors, a little spicy from the peppers and onions, and a surprise ingredient blended in at the end that lends a creamy bready pizza crust flavor.

Seriously.

drink your veggies pizza

serves two

4-5 roma tomatoes
2 bell peppers (yellow, orange)
1/3 yellow onion
1 bunch kale
10-15 basil leaves
1 garlic clove, peeled
small handful raw cashew pieces

Juice everything except the cashews. Pour juice into blender with cashews, blend.

This was surprisingly good. Okay, not really like a pizza, but while you are in the middle of a juice fast, it’s as close as you can get. Great flavors. Next time I’ll add some pineapple!

What’s your favorite pizza flavor?

1 Heather (Where's the Beach) August 22, 2011 at 5:28 am

You know I had to check this one out ;-)

2 spabettie August 22, 2011 at 5:34 am

of course!! ;) I know it will never replace YOUR pizza… and you know I HAD to try it!

3 Stephanie @ extremebalance.net/blog August 22, 2011 at 6:11 am

I had a pizza on Friday night, whose ingredients (from flour to tomatoes to cheese to toppings) had been imported from Italy. You want to talk pizza flavour? That had it in abundance.

But I’m sure the juice version is a CLOSE second, right? ;) You’re awesome—don’t change!

4 spabettie August 22, 2011 at 4:11 pm

oh my, I bet that pizza was divine! and haaa – thanks. this juice SO would NOT compare. you just got me back!! :D

5 katie @KatieDid August 22, 2011 at 6:17 am

I haven’t had pizza in SO long. I haven’t had a bad craving for it yet, thankfully, as GF pizzas are hardly worth their cost in the stores! This is an interesting combo though, I hope it helped with those cravings! I have a recipe for a grain free crust on my site (although it uses cheese), but you could try getting creative with that when the time comes to break out the pizza stone!

6 spabettie August 22, 2011 at 4:10 pm

Mmm, I’m going to look for that grain free crust NOW! :D I agree, gf crust really doesn’t stack up, but … sometimes you want pizza! (I mean, LOOK at the lengths I’ll go for the flavor!) :D

7 Sarah @ The Smart Kitchen August 22, 2011 at 6:19 am

Hahahaha that cracks me up. I’ll add it to the list of juices to try…if I ever open that looming box….tomorrow! Tomorrow I SWEAR!

8 spabettie August 22, 2011 at 4:09 pm

come ON, girl. do I have to come down there and open it!? :D still hoping to get to ATX soon… but you better open it before then! ;)

9 Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) August 22, 2011 at 6:31 am

Now this sounds perfect! The basil must have been amazing in it. I love artichoke hearts on pizza too.

10 spabettie August 22, 2011 at 3:58 pm

Mmm, I wonder what artichokes would do in a juicer…? :D

11 assistantdoc August 22, 2011 at 7:00 am

I am totally going to stick this recipe in mind as E and I are going on a ‘reboot’ juice fast after seeing “Sick, Fat and Nearly Dead”. This sounds awesome and a great break from the norm. Remind me again how you juice garlic? I have Breville Juice Fountain Plus.

12 spabettie August 22, 2011 at 10:02 am

oh, YAY Sarah! we saw that film a week into our fast – totally reinforced what we were doing!! great film. we have the same juicer – and I PEEL the garlic and just put the whole clove in… you’d think it wouldn’t “juice” but ONE clove is A LOT. it’s good! if you start juicing garlic regularly, do no more than 2 raw cloves per day! :D good luck with your reboot!

13 Lisa B August 22, 2011 at 7:01 am

I LOVE this idea. I’m a huge pizza fan (and you know how I feel about basil!).

I’m definitely making this…once I unpack my juicer :)

14 spabettie August 22, 2011 at 10:00 am

…and you know how Basil feels about you… <3 OH… you meant the herb. ;) hope you enjoy! XO

15 Roz@weightingfor50 August 22, 2011 at 2:46 pm

OOOH….this one looks soooo good! (like all your juices!) BTW…the glasses in the photo are GORGEOUS. Are they vintage? Hope you have a great week!!

16 spabettie August 22, 2011 at 3:55 pm

thank you, Roz! I know it sounds weird to many, but it’s GOOD. and now I’m laughing – you know at the holidays, liquor stores have gift box sets, usually with glasses or some kind of accessory with the bottle of whatever? these glasses were in a Bailey’s Irish Creme gift box… very vintage, maybe 3 years ago? ;)

17 Liz (Little Bitty Bakes) August 22, 2011 at 5:10 pm

This is why I love you. Because you tell us how to drink our pizza. :)

Any pizza involving basil or caramelized onions is amazing on my list.

18 spabettie August 22, 2011 at 6:56 pm

YES indeed – drinking pizza is … pretty darn good! ;) I’m happy you appreciate it, Liz. Mmm, caramelized onions on ANYTHING. even just a fork! :)

19 Erin @ A Girl & Her Mutt August 22, 2011 at 5:55 pm

At first I was a little horrified at drinking pizza, but after looking at the photo of what is included I realized that these are some of my fave veggies. I love the idea of the cashews right at the end too!

You are the juicing queen!

20 spabettie August 22, 2011 at 6:52 pm

hee! I know, at first many have been “HUH? spabettie’s finally gone crazy…” but then… yep. they see. ;)

21 Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit August 22, 2011 at 7:41 pm

I love pizza… I love juice… but I’ve never thought of combining the two. I like pasta pizza! Hmm I have to try this!

22 Shirley @ gfe August 23, 2011 at 4:15 am

I could totally go for this one, Kristina! I’ve added tomato juice to green smoothies the last two days. Made for a healthy V-8 Splash vibe. Thanks for this recipe, dear. LOVE the photos. :-)

Shirley

23 spabettie August 23, 2011 at 8:22 pm

yes, I LOVE the tomato addition lately! getting your lycopene! :)

24 megan (the long-winded one) August 23, 2011 at 6:44 am

I’m thinking a juicer is going on the Christmas wish list this year, this recipe sounds like something my husband would be all over. He loves pizza but always feels like crap after eating it and this would help him get the flavor he craves without the guilt.

I love pizza covered in pineapple, broccoli and tofu(when available) with whatever option to tomato sauce I can find, sometimes I get lucky and there is a really tasty pesto sauce or something full of garlic to go under the layers but sometimes I just end up with crust, cheese and toppings. Being allergic to tomatoes/pumpkin/squash/all things amazing is lame! When I feel like suffering the consequences I get one covered in sauce and artichoke hearts.

25 spabettie August 23, 2011 at 7:32 pm

we upgraded our juicer last Christmas! :) this was a fun juice – and pretty easy to “make your own pizza” too. ;) and now I’m wondering what an artichoke would do in the fridge… :D

26 Jason (Jason's BBQ Adventures) August 23, 2011 at 6:48 am

Breville was finally delivered yesterday, this one will definitely be on the top of my list to try!

27 spabettie August 23, 2011 at 7:30 pm

oh, YAY! excited for you and your new juicer – you’ll have to let me know how it’s going – I hope you like this one – it’s really tasty!

28 Lynn August 23, 2011 at 7:30 am

My favorite pizza used to be pineapple and jalapenos, but it’s been a while (my guy doesn’t like pineapple on pizza)….so for me add some pineapple and jalapenos to your pizza juice!! :)

29 Lynn August 23, 2011 at 8:53 am

and for the record, the next pizza I get will have pineapple and jalapenos on it! it’s just been too long ;)

30 spabettie August 23, 2011 at 7:26 pm

that sounds GOOD!

31 spabettie August 23, 2011 at 7:27 pm

I did a jalapeno in a smoothie a while back – it was good, just the right amount of spicy. I am thinking of adding pineapple next time, I kinda forgot about jalapenos.

hope you’re doing great, my friend… stay away from the icky bugs! ;)

32 Eden August 23, 2011 at 10:33 am

whats next, kris? hamburger juice? burrito juice? dare I say….orange juice?

33 spabettie August 23, 2011 at 7:24 pm

what?! orange juice? what’s that? mmm, burrito juice sounds good.

34 Emilia @ Namaste Gurl August 23, 2011 at 1:29 pm

As much as I’ve juiced, I can’t say I’ve ever juiced tomatoes before! Good call though as I’m sure it’d be perfect right around this tomato- season time :)

I recently drank canned tomato juice on a plane and totally thought it tasted like marina sauce juice! Hehe. :)

35 spabettie August 23, 2011 at 7:18 pm

yes – this sorta tastes like marinara too – in fact when I was prepping everything, Jason walked into the kitchen and asked if I was making marinara! :D

36 lindsay August 23, 2011 at 2:52 pm

pizza juice!? genius!! hehe. I love this idea. I never think to put my fresh juice back in a blender, but that’s a really good idea. I really love tomatoes and peppers in juice (although at first it grossed me out), and now they are in some of my favorite juices.

During my juicing fast I had a dream about pizza one night. i woke up drooling. ;)

37 spabettie August 23, 2011 at 7:15 pm

haa – I had a pizza dream too, no joke! and we rarely eat it anymore after going completely gluten free. strange what cravings come up!

and YES – this juice is really good!

38 Kath (My Funny Little Life) August 24, 2011 at 3:43 pm

I’d always order a very simple vegetable pizza with just fresh tomatoes and lots of basil! No salami, no tuna (eek), no cheese (gah) – and now, not pizza anymore, either. ;) BUT I may make my own homme version one day, which is Kath compatible and protein-rich and maybe even vegan! :D (<< That's meant totally serious!)

I actually wonder how I could use my blender as a juicer. You know, I make almond milk with my blender, and then filter it with a sock and squeeze that with my hands to get every drop of almond milk out of it. Maybe that would work with juicing, too! It doesn't really matter whether I squeeze out almond pulp or veggie corpses. Anyway, I'll let you know hoe it works!

39 spabettie August 25, 2011 at 1:19 pm

I really want a dehydrator next, because I have a GREAT idea for a RAW pizza… I may have to try it in my oven at like 110. :D veggie corpses! :D yes, let me know how it goes with the SQUEEZING! XXO

40 hihorosie September 13, 2011 at 9:02 pm

yes. Yes! YES! Love savory juices and will have to try this one. Yum!

41 spabettie September 14, 2011 at 4:24 pm

I hope you do try it – it’s really good! :)

42 Kelsey September 16, 2011 at 10:46 am

you are so creative – I had to admit this one sounded weird to me!! I made it yesterday – pretty good!! like marinara!!

43 holly September 29, 2011 at 7:30 pm

girl, you are crazy! this sounds kinda good, like a marinara?

44 spabettie October 1, 2011 at 3:57 pm

AWWWW! is this the holly I think it is!!?? weee! and yep. you should try this. or maybe I’ll make some and bring it by… I can sneak up…

45 Ona November 27, 2011 at 5:00 am

WHAAT?? pizza. I don’t even know what to say. what is your juicer?

46 Lora November 30, 2011 at 5:17 am

SHUT THE FRONT DOOR!! we were just joking about pizza flavored things and I said JUICE!! we googled and found you.

you are my hero.

47 Jenni November 30, 2011 at 8:42 pm

I read about this on Sara’s blog today and HAD to come see for myself!!! :D looks good, you know I will have to try it!

48 Jeri March 8, 2012 at 3:45 pm

ha ha, awesome!!

49 Brittany February 13, 2013 at 8:54 am

I just tried this and it is fantastic! Going to make it for lunch again tomorrow! I had seen another recipe for pizza juice on another juicing site, but this one is better, with onion and basil! Delicious!

50 Kristina Sloggett February 14, 2013 at 9:05 am

thanks, Brittany, so happy you like it! it’s fun to switch things up when you are juicing a lot… or maybe craving pizza… ;)