grilled barbecue potatoes

Jason is from Missouri. His brother still lives there, and we were on the phone with him the other night. He was looking at my website at the same time, and was quite happy to see a KC Masterpiece ad over there –>

They love this stuff.

I did use some of this to make grilled chicken for Jason, but what I was anxiously awaiting grilling season for? Grilled barbecue potato salad.

This couldn’t be easier, and was a great addition to a big day of grilling we had a while back. I sliced red potatoes and red onions, skewered them, basted them with barbecue sauce and wrapped them in foil. We placed them on the grill for about 15 minutes at 350-400. This cooked them through, softened them. I then unwrapped the skewers and placed them directly on the grill to achieve the delicious grill marks.

These were great as is, I ate a whole skewer while I was preparing the salad. Again, couldn’t be easier – take the potatoes and onions off the skewers, place in a bowl and toss with more barbecue sauce. Top with fresh green scallions. Delicious! I left some skewers intact, because food on a stick is just fun. This particular style of barbecue sauce is spicier than I usually use, but it was a nice change – great flavor and definitely a good pairing for grilled potatoes.

WHILE I RECEIVED PRODUCT FROM KC MASTERPIECE FOR REVIEW – I AM NEVER COMPENSATED TO GIVE A POSITIVE REVIEW.

Comments

Everything is better with BBQ sauce on it! (Can you tell I’m from the south?) As I’m not a huge fan of traditional potato salad, I love the skewer idea!

I like traditional potato salad, but if you don’t (and if you love BBQ sauce!) you should try this. Simple and tasty! :)

I’m not even sure I could wait for the plate to take the potato and onions off of the skewers. Those babies would be in my hands/mouth/tummy right out of the oven! Looks delicious! BBQ sauce is go good!

yep, pretty much! we made a lot, so… I had already eaten one before I was taking these photos… πŸ˜‰

Yes!! Food on a stick is TOTALLY fun!! Think: Popsicles; Hot-dog on a stick (c’mon who didn’t love those in high school); Tootsie Pops!

I remember the first time I saw anyone grill a potato was in Australia- I couldn’t believe how delicous sweet and regular potatoes were on the “barbie” Mmmm> Love your onion/potato combo :-)

4. Jala says

man, oh man, do I miss the old KC Masterpiece restaurants! I still love the sauce, although i do wish they would stop making it with the high fructose corn syrup. I guarantee Dr Davis did not use hfcs in his version.

mmmmmm, bbq…

I’m with ya on that one – didn’t like the HFCS myself. (I tasted it and then used my gluten free organic sauce…) πŸ˜‰ I didn’t know there were restaurants!! were they only in Missouri?

• Jala says

actually the first (and the last remaining one) was in KS – Overland Park. I think at their peak they had about 7 restaurants. i know that they had expanded to St Louis. They second to last remaining one was in the Plaza in KC. From what I know, the plan was to make it into a nationwide chain. But the good doctor’s kids ran the company into the ground. A shame. The couple that I had been to were packed to the gills for years. I mostly was at the Overland Park location (the last to close). That restaurant is where the sauce was from. They had some great burnt ends and onion straws as well.