grilled barbecue potatoes

in appetizers, Dinner, grilling, product review, summertime

Jason is from Missouri. His brother still lives there, and we were on the phone with him the other night. He was looking at my website at the same time, and was quite happy to see a KC Masterpiece ad over there –>

They love this stuff.

I did use some of this to make grilled chicken for Jason, but what I was anxiously awaiting grilling season for? Grilled barbecue potato salad.

This couldn’t be easier, and was a great addition to a big day of grilling we had a while back. I sliced red potatoes and red onions, skewered them, basted them with barbecue sauce and wrapped them in foil. We placed them on the grill for about 15 minutes at 350-400. This cooked them through, softened them. I then unwrapped the skewers and placed them directly on the grill to achieve the delicious grill marks.

These were great as is, I ate a whole skewer while I was preparing the salad. Again, couldn’t be easier – take the potatoes and onions off the skewers, place in a bowl and toss with more barbecue sauce. Top with fresh green scallions. Delicious! I left some skewers intact, because food on a stick is just fun. This particular style of barbecue sauce is spicier than I usually use, but it was a nice change – great flavor and definitely a good pairing for grilled potatoes.

WHILE I RECEIVED PRODUCT FROM KC MASTERPIECE FOR REVIEW – I AM NEVER COMPENSATED TO GIVE A POSITIVE REVIEW.

1 Allie July 29, 2011 at 6:29 am

Everything is better with BBQ sauce on it! (Can you tell I’m from the south?) As I’m not a huge fan of traditional potato salad, I love the skewer idea!

2 spabettie July 29, 2011 at 1:26 pm

I like traditional potato salad, but if you don’t (and if you love BBQ sauce!) you should try this. Simple and tasty! :)

3 (what runs) Lori July 29, 2011 at 6:48 am

I’m not even sure I could wait for the plate to take the potato and onions off of the skewers. Those babies would be in my hands/mouth/tummy right out of the oven! Looks delicious! BBQ sauce is go good!

4 spabettie July 29, 2011 at 1:23 pm

yep, pretty much! we made a lot, so… I had already eaten one before I was taking these photos… ;)

5 Deb (SmoothieGirlEatsToo) July 29, 2011 at 7:45 am

Yes!! Food on a stick is TOTALLY fun!! Think: Popsicles; Hot-dog on a stick (c’mon who didn’t love those in high school); Tootsie Pops!

I remember the first time I saw anyone grill a potato was in Australia- I couldn’t believe how delicous sweet and regular potatoes were on the “barbie” Mmmm> Love your onion/potato combo :-)

6 spabettie July 29, 2011 at 1:22 pm

I liked the Hot Dog On A Stick costumes…

7 Holly @ The Runny Egg July 29, 2011 at 7:46 am

I love onions + potatoes — especially all grilled up! And once again you have managed to make food look absolutely adorable.

8 spabettie July 29, 2011 at 1:21 pm

hee! thanks, Holly.

9 Jenn L @ Peas and Crayons July 29, 2011 at 8:31 am

I need these in my face. I have an abundance of BBQ in the house and need to start using it up before it expires! I’ve been living off of bbq shrimp and am sooo sick of it! on to potatoes!

10 spabettie July 29, 2011 at 1:21 pm

yay – glad I could help so you don’t have to MOOOOOVE it, MOVE it!

11 Kath (My Funny Little Life) July 29, 2011 at 9:00 am

Whee, so lovely! And such a wonderful way to serve simple but delicious foods! :D

12 spabettie July 29, 2011 at 1:20 pm

you know I like simple things with complex flavors! :)

13 Kath (My Funny Little Life) July 29, 2011 at 2:46 pm

I know that. I like the same thing. :)

14 Tiff @ Love, Sweat, and Beers July 29, 2011 at 11:05 am

BBQ & Potatoes = Yum. I usually ask for a side of bbq sauce whenever I get fries at a restaurant.

15 spabettie July 29, 2011 at 1:20 pm

mmm, good choice!

16 Amanda July 29, 2011 at 11:36 am

I love food on sticks! Definitely makes me think of summertime.

17 spabettie July 29, 2011 at 1:18 pm

yes Amanda! totally a summertime thing – barbecues and state fairs!

18 Stephanie @ extremebalance.net/blog July 29, 2011 at 7:27 pm

I’m trying to reduce my evening eating a bit… but surfing your blog is like my cryptonite.

I’m 100% sure that there’s going to be a snack in my future now. These look *great*. :)

19 spabettie July 30, 2011 at 2:53 pm

oh no! :) not cryptonite! and yes please, do this. it’s tasty.

20 Jala July 30, 2011 at 1:42 pm

man, oh man, do I miss the old KC Masterpiece restaurants! I still love the sauce, although i do wish they would stop making it with the high fructose corn syrup. I guarantee Dr Davis did not use hfcs in his version.

mmmmmm, bbq…

21 spabettie July 30, 2011 at 2:47 pm

I’m with ya on that one – didn’t like the HFCS myself. (I tasted it and then used my gluten free organic sauce…) ;) I didn’t know there were restaurants!! were they only in Missouri?

22 Jala July 30, 2011 at 5:04 pm

actually the first (and the last remaining one) was in KS – Overland Park. I think at their peak they had about 7 restaurants. i know that they had expanded to St Louis. They second to last remaining one was in the Plaza in KC. From what I know, the plan was to make it into a nationwide chain. But the good doctor’s kids ran the company into the ground. A shame. The couple that I had been to were packed to the gills for years. I mostly was at the Overland Park location (the last to close). That restaurant is where the sauce was from. They had some great burnt ends and onion straws as well.

23 rivki July 30, 2011 at 10:00 pm

Lovely photos, lovely summer dish. Thanks for sharing.

24 Pure2raw Twins July 31, 2011 at 6:11 am

love this idea! my fiance would be all over those!!!

25 Kim November 6, 2011 at 2:34 pm

great photo! looking through your tastespotting gallery, these reminded me of summer…