Kale salad with warm bacon dressing is a hearty plant based twist on that classic spinach salad - complete with a smoky warm dressing!
recipe originally published August 18, 2014
TABLE OF CONTENTS - Jump to any section:
Salad with hot bacon dressing
This kale salad with warm bacon dressing is a vegan version of the classic spinach salad with bacon dressing. Chunks of avocado and a bright tart dried cherry bring new layers of flavor and texture to update the classic recipe.
The original classic recipe for warm bacon dressing caused the spinach / salad greens to wilt. While this vegan bacon dressing recipe works great with spinach, I first dressed a kale salad with it specifically because of its warm temperature and wilting ability.
We all know how tough kale can be, and regular readers know my answer to this is to chiffonade the kale into easily edible ribbons.
This kale salad recipe is a chiffonade, and the warm bacon dressing is just another method of tenderizing.
How to make vegan bacon flavor
What is vegan bacon made of?
One of the main components to a vegan bacon is liquid smoke. Just a tiny bit - a little goes a long way! The layers of flavor and richness in my bacon recipe come from tamari, garlic, smoked paprika, and a fat.
In my rice paper bacon recipe, the fat is a cashew butter or almond butter.
Easy hot bacon dressing recipe
This vegan warm bacon dressing recipe mimics the ingredients used in vegan bacon. For the dressing, the fat is coconut oil. An olive oil works well too. Finally, smoked paprika adds more savory smoke. This dressing has bold, rich flavors and is perfect over a simple salad.
Did you make this recipe?
Follow spabettie on Instagram and tag us with #spabettie
We love seeing your recipe photos and remakes - thank you!
salad and toppings
- 1 bunch kale, washed and stems/ribs removed
- ½ avocado, peeled, pitted and cubed
- 2 tablespoons dried cherries
Warm Bacon Dressing
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon tamari (gluten free soy sauce)
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke
- ¼ teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 5 shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- To chiffonade the kale: wash thoroughly and pat dry.
- Remove tough ribs from each leaf, stack several leaves together and roll tightly.
- Using a sharp knife, carefully slice rolled kale into thin strips. Repeat with entire bunch of kale.
- Add kale chiffonade to a large salad bowl.
- To make the dressing: In saucepan over medium heat, melt coconut oil.
- Stir in tamari, liquid smoke, paprika and garlic clove.
- Add sliced mushrooms, sauté in oil until just softened.
- Remove from heat. Pour warm 'bacon' dressing over kale, toss to coat.
- Finish the salad: Top with avocado and cherries.
dairy, egg, and gluten free, vegan recipe
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 348Total Fat: 22gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gSodium: 221mgCarbohydrates: 13gFiber: 7gSugar: 8gProtein: 8g
nutrition calculations results vary by calculator, are for informational purposes only, and are not intended to replace medical advice or treatment.
Kristina is spabettie! She found cooking at an early age, and created spabettie in 2010 to share vegan recipes. Kristina turned her culinary training into sharing vibrant vegan food! Read more...
spabettie / Kristina Sloggett is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.