dark chocolate cherry galette

This is the first installment of Spabettie’s Summer of Cherriessimilar to Summer of George in no way at all.

Yesterday my new cherry pitter was my friend all afternoon. My hands are all red. I ate too many cherries. I still have two huge bowls in my fridge.

I made a batch of my easy gluten free and vegan pie crust, which then turned into individual galettes filled with a simple mixture of cherries and dark chocolate.

Every time I make this pie crust, I wonder why I was so intimidated by it. Really, it is easy if you have a little patience and trust that it will come together. It not only comes together, but it is a terrifically flaky pie crust that you would not guess is vegan or gluten free. Honestly.

What I have learned is to chill it, then work with it quickly right out of the fridge – have your fillings ready to go, so the dough does not dry out too much. If it does dry out, simply form a ball again (wet your hands to add moisture) and roll out again.

dark chocolate cherry galette

dairy, egg and gluten free, vegan

makes four individual galettes

40-50 fresh cherries, pitted
1/3 cup sugar, divided
juice of 1 lime
6 ounces dark chocolate, chopped
1 pie crust recipe (see below)
1/4 cup olive oilΒ

Combine cherries with 2 tablespoons sugar and juice, stir until sugar is dissolved. Divide cherries and chocolate among 4 pies, arrange in the center of each pie (see directions below), leaving an inch border. Fold the border of crust up around filling, brush with olive oil and sprinkle with remaining sugar. Bake at 350 for 27-32 minutes (check at 27).

easy gluten free and vegan pie crust

dairy, egg and gluten free, vegan

makes 4 individual galettes (orΒ one single crust pie)

1 cup sweet rice flour
1 cup all purpose flour (gluten free)
1/2 cup cold butter (Earth Balance – not soy free)
1/4 – 1/2 cup cold water*

Combine flours and butter with dough cutter or fork. Add water gradually* – start with 1/4 cup and add by tablespoon after that until dough is forms. Knead and form a ball, wrap and refrigerate for 20 minutes. Divide into four equal pieces and roll into small circles. Arrange on baking sheet lined in parchment or silpat.

Ahem. That last photo up there? Is what happens when you break off a tiny piece of the crust to “sample”. You tell yourself you’ll cover it with ice cream in photos. That crust sample is good. You have another. Then another piece comes off, and it has cherry juice and a smudge of chocolate on it. Soon you are thinking “there will be way too much ice cream in this photo to look normal” and end up eating the whole thing.

That was the last photo I took and it was so worth it.

Comments

ha – yes, those photos are good… I just had to laugh at this one, it went too far. this was just too good to stop.

Ring my bell. I have been consuming cherries by the bucket. Depitting is a pain, but they are so good right now.

Mmm, this is like a chocolate covered cherry on crack!

by the bucket –> that would be us. we had them for dessert last night, they were in breakfast today… I’ve been snacking on them all morning and Jason took a container to work for his staff meeting. cherries everywhere, do they multiply?

Oh I was looking forward to this as soon as you mentioned hand pie/galette yesterday! And you don’t disappoint. Cherries AND chocolate in a mini-pie? And no canned cherry goo in site? I’ve never had much success with pie crusts and usually just buy the premade/refrigerated stuff (yeah, I know, lazy lazy), but this one seems doable.

no canned goo – I thought of you, my friend! πŸ˜€ this one really does work – you have to have (just a bit) of patience with it, but if you keep adding small amounts of water, it WILL come together. flaky and GOOD.

Oh Em. Gee. My mouth is watering — that last pic of the gooey chocolately cherry bite? WANT. Please make this for me. haha

there were three different models at the local kitchen store (like a Williams Sonoma, in fact I’m sure they have them too!). I went right to the tool section and could not find one… because they were all up at the counter on display, of course! I love cherry season…

Ohhhh, boy. Now I see what you’re talking about – chocolate + cherries= magic. This looks fabulous; I am really wishing I had some cherries right now I could make some too!

you can sneak over in the dark of night and pick some of ours… I was out there this evening again, got another big bowl but there are TONS left :)

• says

Ok, so is that considered stalking/stealing if I have your permission to trespass?! :) I might just pick up some cherries at the grocery store, just to be safe. πŸ˜€

Haha on one little piece turning into another! I completely understand though … cherries and chocolate are a match made in heaven. Beautiful job, Kristina, and by the way, I’m impressed your oven (or cooling rack?) looks so pristine!

xo,
    Shirley

never really had a galette before, I know call me crazy! but I would love to try yours as it looks heavenly! love chocolate and cherries together!

this is the first galette I have made! I have had them in restaurants, don’t know why it took so long for me to make one!

congrats on the new baby! πŸ˜€ um… a premade dough? if you have that, the rest comes together very quickly! I wish I could make you some… πŸ˜€

7. jen says

looks so good- In addition to being gf my son is allergic to soy (and eggs, corn, natural flavor, citrus .. )why can’t we use Earth Balance soy free? That’s our “butter” of choice. Do you have another suggestion? How about coconut based shortening? Thanks!

hi Jen!

the soy free version of EB is my butter of choice as well.

I have made this pie dough several times, and it always works with ‘regular’ EB. The first time I tried with the soy free, it did not (it was also my first time making THIS recipe, so perhaps I was not as patient with it yet (a very good chance, that), since you do have to work just a bit to get it to come together. you could try with the soy free, I just figured for some reason that version did not work, and had not tried it a second time.

I have made this with a vegan shortening also, but it was made with palm oil (Spectrum Organics).

I hope this helps, and I would love to hear your result if you do make this.

Thank you!! Kristina

hi Holly,

it varies, usually the Endangered Species brand bars, (the one I prefer has the bat on the label) but I usually stock up on bars as they are on sale. I do buy dark chocolate chips also, and baking chocolate from my local baking/pastry shop.

8. Hiral Shah says

Hi Spabettie,

I ran across your website while searching for juicing recipes for my 3 days Reboot detox and OH MY – your pictures of the food you make looks delicious! I went through about 10 different items at work and my mouth is watering! Can’t wait to try our your juice and other yummy recipes!

Thanks!
    Hiral

hello Hiral,

very good to “meet” you, thank you for the kind note. I hope you have a successful (and easy) Reboot, and enjoy some tasty juice. I’d love to know which recipes you enjoy, thank you again and take care!

Kristina