chipotle tomato mini wedge salads

It is no secret that I love iceberg lettuce.

It gets a bad rap for being void of nutrition and flavor, but I love its crunch in a salad or a sandwich.

We stayed at our new place for the first time last night. As we are still in packing mode and haven’t yet scheduled the movers, we camped on the floor in a mountain of air mattress, blankets, and Basil.

We ordered pizza and I snagged the iceberg from our old fridge to make appetizer size wedge salads, with extra crunch.

chipotle tomato mini wedge salads

dairy free, vegan

makes two wedges or four mini wedges

1/2 head iceberg lettuce
1/4 – 1/3 cup chipotle tomato dressing
(vegan) bacon bits
roasted almonds, chopped
sea salt, black pepper to tasteΒ

Wash and dry lettuce, removing outer layer. Chop into halves or quarters, arrange on plates or serving tray. Top with 1-2 tablespoons dressing, sprinkle with roasted almonds, bacon, salt and pepper.

Enjoy every crunchy bite!

chipotle tomato dressing

2-3 chipotle peppers (from canned in adobo)
2-3 roma tomatoes
1/4 cup mayonnaise (vegan)
pinch sea salt

In food processor, puree chipotle peppers and tomatoes.Β Combine chipotle puree with 1/4 cup mayonnaise (more or less to taste) and sea salt. Double recipe for leftovers – store covered in refrigerator.

These triple crunch wedges are perfect for a party appetizer – you can almost eat it with your hand – we did! Cool, crisp and refreshing, this is a great summer salad!

Comments

so good to hear from people who like the iceberg! πŸ˜‰ we’ve been having fun camping, it’s not too bad with the air mattress, but we sure miss that bed… it gives me motivation to finish packing so I can schedule the movers!

yeah, if this were a “meal” salad it would need more oopmh, definitely. we got that from the pizza… πŸ˜‰

1. Jenn says

This made me hungry! I actually prefer iceberg over romaine and mesculin salad but know it has no nutritional value so I just eat it on sandwiches. I’m going to try this!!

I do too – when I make an actual bowl of salad, I often add iceberg just for the crunch. it goes well with spinach, you know πŸ˜‰

These would be the best possible thing to eat in mid-July! That dressing sounds perfect.

“Oops, I ate an entire head of lettuce!” OH WELL.

YUM! I always love the look of these and think, “How simple – I should make those…what a timesaver!” The only lettuce I knew existed growing up was iceburg… so I’ve ignored it in adulthood. Maybe it’s time to kiss and make up. πŸ˜‰ Yay for the first night in a new place!!!

I love them – spoon the dressing over the very top, and it gets down into each layer! it IS time to kiss and make up, if only for the wedge!

and thanks, Amy! we wanted to the night we got the keys, but we were too tired, and without internet, ha!. we can go without a BED, but not without technology…

haa, and I don’t like rice cakes πŸ˜‰ but yes, a crunchy vehicle for good toppings, that’s why I like iceberg!

I love iceberg too! I usually mix iceberg with some spring greens so I get the crunch and crisp freshness of the iceberg, but I feel a bit better about the nutrients and healthiness of the greens.
    I’m so excited about your new house!!! I love that your timing is almost the same as mine. Makes me feel like I have a moving buddy to share all this stress and overwhelmingness with!

I do the same thing, mix some iceberg into more nutritious greens, so I get the benefits AND the crunch!

I know, we ARE moving buddies… trying to do all this while working, taking care of my Dad, sometimes blogging? heh! I am excited though, for my plans and to see more of yours! (and definitely we can commiserate together… XXO

Oooh, I love these! Sometimes I do prefer Iceberg, like in the old-fashioned seven layers salad. Do you remember that one? Now you have me craving one! And I would love one of these wedges, too. I’d eat it without my hands for sure. πŸ˜‰

xo,
    Shirley

yes, the seven layer salad – another classic from childhood! (and now I’m craving one too!) these wedges are pretty easy to eat with your hands, when they’re mini quarters like that… :)

6. Natasha says

What a bitchin’ idea – so fresh, so yummy…this reminds me of dare I say 1970’s salads…tres chic…my Mum would serve Ceasar Salad this way…I LOVE it!
    N.

absolutely, very retro! πŸ˜€ someone else brought up the seven layer salad, remember that one? mmm, a caesar salad, one of my favorite flavors… I have made them with whole pieces too, harder to eat though.

XXO!

it was… especially when we remembered Basil BIT the air mattress last time we used it and woke up to a flat mattress… πŸ˜‰ we went to the mattress store at lunchtime. πŸ˜€

they are kind of a restaurant thing, but really, they’re generally easier / faster than a normal salad, so why not? πŸ˜€ (the salads I make anyway – tend to be elaborate…)

Iceberg lettuce just hits the spot sometimes! I love romaine hearts for the same reason–cool crunchiness. And I love that you camped out in your new house–I totally did the same thing while moving, too :)

yes, I love romaine for the same reason, AND they double as a “boat” vehicle, even more of a hand held! πŸ˜‰ (have you ever grilled romaine? a little olive oil, balsamic, sea salt… ooh it is SO good…) we camped two nights on the air mattress, which has a Basil Bite hole, then had our new bed delivered today πŸ˜‰ back to a good night’s sleep!

hope all is going great at YOUR new place!

• Natasha says

J’love Grilled Romaine – you are truly one of a kind. Just had pizza “Rob Style”…ingredients from a box from the store (made by hand)…but – I love that he made it for me as I do all the cooking…I will leave you to your devices as to “the Kraft kind” I ref. to…I Dr’d my edge up with fresh Basil (of course as a tribute) olive oil and a glass of Vino on the side…Happy Friday to you Jason and Mr. B. Hope Daddy is well.
        From across the miles North of the Border…xo

Basil wiggles in thanks for the tribute… enjoy your vino, dear friend, and your weekend! XXO we are good, Dad is GOOD. hope YOU are too!

• says

Umm, I have never had grilled romaine, but that has suddenly become a goal! And I don’t have a grill, so that means I get to talk someone else into cooking it for me. Grilled lettuce I don’t have to make? I’m pretty excited about this possibility.

I’m absolutely loving my place–My home reno projects are really coming together, and I just walk in my front door with a smile each day! And ahh, the joys of a real bed–it helps to camp out a few nights so you can really appreciate the invention of mattresses again :)

8. Hannah-lyz says

Woo! Hello from a fellow iceberg fan! I’m what you might call an addict πŸ˜‰ As well as it adding crunch to lunch and dinner, I quite often have it at breakfast too! (Avacado, tomato, raw courgetter (zuchinni) and iceberg on toast, with plenty of srirachi! Crunchy, refreshing and spicy start to the day!)
    You’ve got to be sure to fondle your icebergs before you buy them though! πŸ˜‰ Can’t have a squidgie lettuce! x

I’m right behind you on the iceberg lettuce loving train (you know, because that definitely exists). When I eat it, I barely even consider it a veggie serving for the day, but it’s just so refreshing! Plus it can be a great vehicle for tremendous salads… like your little mini wedges! They’re so cute, and I love the thought of eating them alongside pizza. :)

Though it’s rare that I allow myself to indulge, I will admit that I love a good wedge salad, too! Iceberg is just so refreshing, and seriously, it’s not like it’s BAD for you. The hyperbole about how devoid of nutrients such a humble head of lettuce is has gotten way out of control. It’s still a fresh vegetable for goodness sake!

THANK YOU for saying this, Hannah! I completely agree, it’s still a great food! I obviously want to eat nutrient dense foods much of the time, but I also like my salads crunchy… πŸ˜‰

it is spicy, but not overly so. if you aren’t a big fan of spicy, play with the amounts, use less of the chipotle and taste as you go? we love this dressing, to me it’s more flavorful spicy than heat spicy.

…I spent the afternoon making recipes with habaneros, so my perspective could be a little off right now πŸ˜‰

11. Deb McBain says

just made this and it is quite tasty and so easy. I will definitely make it again but I think next time I will seed the tomatoes before blending. I don’t care for the texture of the tomato seeds in this. I will serve this on wedges with grated cheddar along with bacon and sunflower seeds. Next time I may try blending cheddar cheese into it to make it Tomato Chipolte Cheddar dressing. Extra yum.

i went to The Keg for a birthday celebration last night and I was mighty impressed with their Wedge Salad. As a vegan I didn’t eat the bacon and bleu cheese topped salad, but I went home with a desire to create a vegan version. Trolling through Pinterest for ideas, I came across your recipe for the mini wedge salads. I am making this for supper tonight! Love the combo of crunchy iceberg lettuce and chipotle dressing. Yum! Thanks!

• Kristina Sloggett says

the wedge salad is one of my favorites! so happy you found this, I need to make more soon. hope you enjoyed, Julia – cheers!

Trackbacks