Dill Pickle Dip

Dill Pickle Dip – a unique and flavorful dip that is always the surprise hit of the party! Tart and salty, it tastes just as you imagine it will!

Dill Pickle Dip @spabettie

What does it mean when we crave salt?

My craving was so big it drove me not only to buy a bag of Ruffles, I also conjured up this pickle perfection.

Dill Pickle Dip @spabettie

Since we were going to be out of the country from Thanksgiving to yesterday, and gone for most holiday festivities, we had a couple little happenings before we left.

I made this pickle dip for one of them, and after the initial strange looks from just about everyone, it was a big hit.

So simple, and just how I imagined the flavor would be. I made a double batch and used leftovers for sandwich and wrap spreads. It also traveled on vehicles of raw broccoli, cauliflower, bell peppers and once, even a pickle.

The pickle may have been overkill. Just a little.

Dill Pickle Dip @spabettie

Dill Pickle Dip

dairy, egg, soy and gluten free, vegan

INGREDIENTS:

1 cup raw cashews, soaked several hours / overnight
1 cup dill pickles, chopped
3 tablespoons pickle juice
2 teaspoons onion powder
sea salt

INSTRUCTIONS:

In food processor, pulse cashews for several minutes, until almost creamy. Add pickles (reserving 2 tablespoons for garnish), juice and onion powder while continuing to process until creamy. Add salt to taste.

Store in refrigerator until ready to eat; serve with chips and vegetables.

Dill Pickle Dip @spabettie

printable recipe:

Dill Pickle Dip
Author:
Recipe type: Appetizer, dip

dairy, egg, soy and gluten free, vegan
Ingredients
  • 1 cup raw cashews, soaked several hours / overnight
  • 1 cup dill pickles, chopped
  • 3 tablespoons pickle juice
  • 2 teaspoons onion powder
  • sea salt
Instructions
  1. In food processor, pulse cashews for several minutes, until almost creamy.
  2. Add pickles (reserving 2 tablespoons for garnish), juice and onion powder while continuing to process until creamy. Add salt to taste.
  3. Store in refrigerator until ready to eat; serve with chips and vegetables.

Comments

I eat pickles all the time too… is that really a thing when people are pregnant? pickles and ice cream, heh. I hope you do make this!

• says

From what I understand it is, but I’ve always eaten pickles. In fact, I was dared to eat pickles and ice cream as a teenager. To my surprise, I found that I liked putting tiny scoops of vanilla ice cream on top of dill pickle chips (never adding the pickles to the whole bowl, as the pickle juice going through it was just too much). It’s been a while since I’ve had it. I’d use a vegan ice cream now.

awesome, I remember that now!! I was just looking at the comment I left, and am laughing at my use of HORKING. talking about Basil eating fast.

hork Hork HORK.

XXO!

it IS a perfect spread. I also topped a salad with it, little blobs of pickle deliciousness. 😀

happy holidays, Heather! XO

This is such a great idea! I love pickles, and the thought of using cashews to make them into a creamy dip sounds like the perfect addition for upcoming holiday get togethers. Thanks!

• says

I made the pickle dip for Christmas, but by Christmas Eve it was obliterated! My husband and I enjoyed it with potato chips and shared it with my non-vegan parents. It was loved all around, and my parents couldn’t believe it had a cashew base. Great job and thanks for the tasty recipe!

I am SO happy you all loved it!! I made some for our family event yesterday too – it was requested by my mom and sister. Hope your Christmas was lovely!

2. Nancy B. says

I saw your FB post just after I read an article on salt cravings. What timing! MedPageToday reports on a study that concluded that salt cravings are greater in children who were fed starchy foods younger than 6 months. I’m not sure what that means, but interesting:
    The combination of cashews and dill pickles sounds so intriguing, I’ll have to try it!

oh, very interesting! I wonder… I don’t have salt cravings a lot, although I do think they are stronger than any sweet tooth I may have??

you’ll have to let me know if you try this, Nancy – I hope you love it! 😀

I will use any excuse to eat pickles. But dill pickles only please, no sweet ones!

We tried out a new restaurant for my sister’s birthday recently, and one of their signature dishes was dill pickle soup. Delicious.

we have a restaurant here with a famous dill pickle soup too!! (I actually had to look on your site to remember where you live, I was excited for a moment thinking it could be Portland!) 😀

and I’m right there with ya – no sweet pickles, only dill! just like vermouth. 😉

it WAS so good with the ruffles… I’m doing it all again for Christmas with the family! you’ve only liked pickles for three years!?!?? making this dip could catch you up on all you missed out on…

you were one of several I thought of – our little Pickle Alliance. 😉 its so easy, and really REALLY good! 😀 happy holidays to you tony and the boys! XO

oh, Lindsay I have missed you too, my friend!! we are back, just in time for all the GOOD part of the holidays! XXO hope yours are a joy!

thanks, Rande! we all really liked it – I’m making some for my family for Christmas snacky appetizers, we’ll see how they like it! 😀

happy holidays!

I MISSED YOU TOO!! and thank you, it is good to be back. we missed all the GAAH of the holidays and landed right in the middle of the good stuff! 😀

and yep – you really are right. dipping a pickle into pickle dip? a really good thing.

I hope you try this – SO good! it’s going to be part of the snacky appetizers I bring to my sisters place on Christmas… 😀

ha – they ARE the shit, aren’t they?? I rarely eat chips, but those just sounded SO good. I was standing there in the aisle, looking at all the Ruffles choices. I picked up the “light” or “baked” or whatever they are, ingredients like soy, other unpronounceables… the “regular” Ruffles? potato salt and oil. oh, and DELICIOUSNESS! 😀

4. spabettiemom says

Hi Kiddo~ salt cravings?…could mean you need a huge drink…………
    and I mean WATER….hee hee….all that tequela has probably got
    you pickled….you know like the worm in the bottom of the bottle?
    Glad your home….pickles?….preggers?…..Say What?
    love ya , the boys~

ha, no mom – as much as you’d love that! 😀 we went into a few tequila shops (can you imagine, a store with NOTHING but tequila???) and there was no worm.

I drank LOTS of water. not from the faucet. I even brushed my teeth with bottled water – I really like brushing with club soda!! 😀

This is perfect to bring to my girls’ gathering. I try to bring something new each time that isn’t typical and the ladies are surprised and always ask how it’s made. I brought bean balls once and they got positive reviews.

6. bitt says

I make a raw fake chicken salad with pickles in it and it’s so good! This time I’m going with fridge pickles that I’m doing myself. They’d be good in this dip too.

I hope you love it, Diane! I’ve heard from several people that made it over the holiday weekend and loved it… I made it for my family and it definitely was a hit! IF you have leftovers? a great sandwich spread!

Congrats! I have to say, these don’t sound very tempting. I do love pickles and I do love ice cream. Maybe next time I’m pregnant or feelin’ crazy I’ll have to give these a chance.

8. Christopher Carpenter says

I keep reading these recipe for this dip and i have to be truthfull, totoaly gross……I make this dip/spread and this is not the way its prepared if you want the real 1930’s recipe ……..ill bet dollars too doughnuts against this

9. Bear says

Oh goodness. I just stumbled upon this recipe while reading another one – I can’t even remember what I clicked on first to wind up here, but I am so grateful! I have always loved dill pickles. They do not last in my house, and I buy 2+ litres at a time…

I am definitely making this as soon as I get to a store and grab some cashews to soak :-)

YESSSS. I am obsessed with pickles. One time, I ate 1/2 a jar and it was awesome. The next day. I looked like a puffer fish. That wasn’t as awesome but my cheeks were pinchable.

I can’t believe this has cashews too. Stop it.

Trackbacks