This vegan mushroom quiche is packed with flavor and texture! A breakfast classic that is soy, dairy, gluten free and totally tasty!
recipe originally published December 2, 2015
I have never made a quiche before, let alone a vegan quiche.
Before vegan, I was not a big fan of eggs, they grossed me out just as meat did. I do love a good tofu scramble however - that Kala Namak brings that perfect salty sulfury flavor. I love French toast, and all kinds of other things typically made with egg.
When Follow Your Heart recently released their newest product, the VeganEgg, I had to give it a try. The VeganEgg is a seaweed based powder to be blended with water - very cold water - and then used as an egg. Not an egg replacer like we have had for years to use in baking, but an actual egg substitute - this can be scrambled.
So naturally, the first thing I did was prepare it as is, a simple scrambled egg. Pretty crazy stuff - I added more Kala Namak and in the future I'd add vegetables too, but as a simple scramble it was decent.
After that I have had some good fun creating with this, and the first thing I am sharing with you is something I have never made the traditional way - a vegan quiche. I have never made one, but I have had quiche before, and I can honestly say this. is. spot. on. Packed full of veggies and flavor, and sets up beautifully.
pass me the mimosa?
Did you make this quiche?
Follow spabettie on Instagram and tag us with #spabettie
We love seeing your recipe photos and remakes - thank you!
- 1 recipe Easy Vegan Pie Crust (gluten free)
- 4 large shallots, peeled and minced
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 pound shiitake mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
- ⅓ pound small cooked potatoes (5-6 small potatoes), quartered
- ¼ bunch asparagus, trimmed
- 4 VeganEgg (½ cup VeganEgg + 2 cups ice cold water)
- 3-4 teaspoons Kala Namak / black salt
- ½ cup + 1 tablespoon cashew milk
- Preheat oven to 350 °F.
- Prepare pie crust, roll out and place in a prepared (sprayed) pie dish. Prick several times with a fork, place a round of parchment over crust. Cover with pie weights or dried beans, blind bake at
- °F for 17 minutes, until crust is golden at edges. Remove from oven and set aside.
- In large skillet over medium heat, sauté shallots until soft, about 5 minutes. Add mushrooms and asparagus, continue to sauté another several minutes. Add potatoes, sauté another minute before removing from heat. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, prepare VeganEgg according to package instructions. Whisk in cashew milk and Kala Namak, whisk together until combined.
- Transfer sautéed vegetables into pie dish over crust, arranging in an even layer. Pour VeganEgg - milk mixture over vegetables, return to oven.
- Bake at 350 °F for 40-45 minutes, or until set.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 202Total Fat: 4gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 385mgCarbohydrates: 21gFiber: 8gSugar: 3gProtein: 5g
nutrition calculations results vary by calculator, are for informational purposes only, and are not intended to replace medical advice or treatment.
Kristina is spabettie! She found cooking at an early age, and created spabettie in 2010 to share vegan recipes. Kristina turned her culinary training into sharing vibrant vegan food! Read more...
spabettie / Kristina Sloggett is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.