Ginger Maple Miso Ice Cream is a six ingredient vegan ice cream recipe that brings truly incredible flavor - sweet, salty, rich and savory.
recipe originally published October 10, 2012
Ginger Maple Miso Ice Cream
This is absolutely, positively hands down my number one most favorite ice cream ever.
These flavors - sweet and salty, rich and savory, almost French Toasty - are just so good together. Combining them into an ice cream has been on my mind for some time, and I am so happy with the result.
Vegan Ice Cream Recipe
My homemade ice cream skills were developed at a very young age. The kind of ice cream you make with ice and rock salt and an old-timey wood bucket with a hand crank. I looked forward to it every summer.
We made ice cream every summer at our huge family picnic. The whole family would converge on great grandma’s land out in the country. While my brother would run off to grandma’s go-cart tracks that wound through her back yard, I would get in the car with Uncle Dudley and run to the store for rock salt and ice.
One of my favorite traditions back then, one of my favorite memories now.
I still wonder what became of that old ice cream maker. I still remember the rich creamy vanilla flavor of that ice cream – the best ice cream I have ever had.
Then I created this recipe.
These days, I use a modern Ice Cream Maker (incredibly easy to use, and a VERY good price!). This recipe sets up in about 20 minutes - ready for transfer to the freezer in a freezer safe container.
The first time I made this Ginger Maple Miso Ice Cream, it was late fall.
Still nice warm temperatures for ice cream, but let us be honest - ice cream is a year round treat, yes?
During the summer, though? This is the ice cream flavor that gets asked for again and again. I don't even have to follow my own recipe anymore, I make this one so often.
I really cannot adequately describe the flavors. Do you get a feeling when I say something like Buttery French Toast? It is sorta like that. With a salty component to accompany the sweet.
The crystallized ginger brings a bright spicy bite, and more sweet.
Ginger Maple Miso Ice Cream also shines as the star of the show - simple vegan ice cream in a bowl.
please make this soon. you won't regret it...
Did you make this recipe?
Follow spabettie on Instagram and tag us with #spabettie
We love seeing your recipe photos and remakes - thank you!
- *Begin with one tablespoon miso and taste - add more to your salty preference (I used two).
- In a small bowl, whisk together ½ cup coconut milk with 2 tablespoons tapioca starch. Set aside.
- Pour the remaining coconut milk into a saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a simmer, stirring frequently, and cook for about five minutes.
- Add tapioca starch mixture, maple syrup, and miso to the saucepan. Continue stirring as mixture thickens. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- Pour ice cream mixture into ice cream maker, proceed with manufacturer instruction.
- While ice cream is processing, chop crystallized ginger into small pieces.
- When ice cream has formed (generally after 15-20 minutes), add ½ cup crystallized ginger pieces while machine continues to churn.
- Continue a couple minutes more, until ginger is fully incorporated. Transfer to freezer safe container, top with remaining crystallized ginger, and freeze.
dairy, egg, oil, and gluten free, vegan
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Serving Size:½ cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 209Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 98mgCarbohydrates: 16gFiber: 1gSugar: 16gProtein: 2g
nutrition calculations results vary by calculator, are for informational purposes only, and are not intended to replace medical advice or treatment.
Kristina is spabettie! She found cooking at an early age, and created spabettie in 2010 to share vegan recipes. Kristina turned her culinary training into sharing vibrant vegan food! Read more...
spabettie / Kristina Sloggett is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.