These crispy eggplant stacks are a quick and easy recipe that is full of flavor and crunchy texture. Year round comfort food for everyone!
recipe originally published March 25, 2013
Crispy Eggplant Stacks
These crispy eggplant stacks are Southern Italian inspired comfort food!
If you are a fan of eggplant, this is the recipe for you. It is easy, it is quick, it is full of flavor. Crispy crunchy and while I can find fresh basil right now, I still cannot wait to use the fresh basil from my garden...
Did you make this recipe?
Follow spabettie on Instagram and tag us with #spabettie
We love seeing your recipe photos and remakes - thank you!
- ⅓ cup coconut milk (carton, not can)
- 1 ½ tablespoons flax seed, freshly ground
- 1 medium eggplant
- sea salt
- 1 ½ cups Erewhon Corn Flakes, crushed
- double recipe of havarti cheese sauce
- 1 cup slow cooker basil marinara
- fresh basil, chiffonaded
- Grind flax seed in blender, coffee grinder. Place 2 tablespoons flax in a shallow bowl, add coconut milk and stir. Set aside to form a gel.
- Clean and dry eggplant.
- Slice into 8 slices, about ½ inch each
- Arrange in single layer (on plate, paper towel, etcetera) and sprinkle with sea salt. This removes excess water (and bitter flavor) from eggplant - set aside. After 20 minutes, pat eggplant slices with paper towel to absorb water beading on surface.
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- Using food processor
- or a mallet
- , crush corn flakes into crumb. Place in shallow bowl. Prepare a baking sheet (parchment, silpat, rack), and create a dipping station: first bowl coconut flax, second bowl corn flakes.
- Dip eggplant slices into coconut flax, then into corn flakes, place on baking sheet. Repeat with the remaining 7 eggplant slices, bake at 300 for 20-25 minutes, until exterior is crispy and browned and eggplant is warmed through.
- Serve over a bed of quinoa. To assemble: over quinoa, add 1-2 tablespoons marinara, then top with eggplant slice. Top with spoonful havarti sauce, a sprinkle of basil, another eggplant slice (two per serving), topped with more havarti sauce and marinara, finishing with more basil.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 202Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 355mgCarbohydrates: 22gFiber: 6gSugar: 7gProtein: 6g
nutrition calculations results vary by calculator, are for informational purposes only, and are not intended to replace medical advice or treatment.
Kristina is spabettie! She found cooking at an early age, and created spabettie in 2010 to share vegan recipes. Kristina turned her culinary training into sharing vibrant vegan food! Read more...
spabettie / Kristina Sloggett is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.