Buffalo Jack Sliders – super quick and easy plant based pulled jackfruit, tangy buffalo style! whip these up for a party or game day, a spicy crowd pleaser!
Buffalo Jack Sliders are a vegan pulled jackfruit alternative to everyone’s spicy favorite!
Aside from this stuff, buffalo flavor is my number two favorite way to spice up a recipe.
I have shared several ways to make and use a buffalo dip (that post always has an increase in views around football season), people rave about my caramelized onion buffalo tarts, and I top everything from pizza to salads with this tangy hot sauce.
Saturday’s lunch was all about the buffalo sauce – and I finally cooked with jack fruit.
I have enjoyed jack fruit many times, usually prepared in the “pulled” fashion, like a chicken or pork. In fact, it is strangely similar to chicken in looks. Having never been a chicken fan, I am happy to say that is where the similarities end.
I loved this. Jason loved this. I think many will love it, no matter their food preferences. I cannot wait to make this for a group – without saying what it is, as is my standard stealth way.
A swipe of cool celery ranch on a soft warm bun, a sprinkle of celery over a hearty serving of buffalo jack – what’s not to like?
Buffalo Jack Sliders
YIELD: four servings
dairy, egg, soy and gluten free, vegan
1 (20 ounce) can young jack fruit in water
1/3 to 1/2 cup Franks Hot Sauce (depending on heat preference)
3 tablespoons cream cheese (dairy, soy free)
2 stalks celery, diced
Drain jack fruit, place in large bowl. Using two forks, shred jack fruit into small shreds (or chop with knife). Add hot sauce to shredded jack fruit, stirring to coat completely.
In saucepan or skillet over medium-low heat, cook sauced jackfruit for several minutes (five to seven) until jackfruit softens a bit, and some of the sauce is absorbed. This recipe works fine without oil, but feel free to add a tablespoon of oil or water if you used less hot sauce or if the mixture is too dry.
When jackfruit is thoroughly cooked, add cream cheese and most of the celery (reserving some celery for garnish). Stir to completely incorporate melting cream cheese.
Serving suggestion: on a bun or slider, over quinoa or rice, in a wrap with lettuce and beans, over a crisp salad.
For me, this is the real thing.
printable Buffalo Jack Sliders recipe:
- 1 20 ounce can young jack fruit in water
- ⅓ to ½ cup Franks Hot Sauce*
- 3 tablespoons cream cheese (dairy, soy free)
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- *Adjust according to heat preference
- Drain jack fruit, place in large bowl. Using two forks, shred jack fruit into smaller pieces (or chop with knife). In pan over medium heat, combine shredded jack fruit with hot sauce, stirring to coat completely.
- When heated through, add cream cheese and most of the celery (reserving some for garnish). Stir to incorporate melting cream cheese.
- Serving suggestion: on a bun or slider, over quinoa or rice, in a wrap with lettuce and beans, over a crisp salad.