make these vegan BBQ Pulled Porcini Tacos for every Taco Tuesday! super easy and incredibly flavorful, with color and texture to fill a hard or soft taco shell!
BBQ Pulled Porcini Tacos
Taco Tuesday has a new menu item.
Full of flavor, texture, and color!
Tangy barbecue flavor paired with the crisp crunch of vibrant purple cabbage and mild heat of jalapeño. Honestly? Taco Tuesday has also been happening on Wednesday and Thursday around here.
Bonus! Pulled Porcini is safe for many allergies and diets – free from gluten, nuts, soy, and oil.
Here I am again with one of my favorite play on word phrases, and my favorite vegan taco filling.
I first made Pulled Porcini Sliders years ago. They remain not only a favorite of ours, but many friends – that one is a recipe that is asked for again and again.
Good thing we love it.
With that original Pulled Porcini recipe, it was a mixture of porcini and jackfruit. My beloved jackfruit.
As much as we love jackfruit and that original recipe, this one is even easier! and quicker!
Playing up the great texture, the mighty meaty mushroom is the star here, all by itself. These BBQ Pulled Porcini Tacos are more than just a fun play on words. They are hearty, flavorful, colorful, and satisfying.
Porcini bring significant nutritional benefits as well – these ceps are packed with antioxidants and anti inflammatory properties, vitamins, fiber, and a decent amount of protein.
If you are interested in learning more about the benefits of mushrooms, check out my series while working with The Mushroom Council in 2014 – tasty recipes and all kinds of mushroom facts.
Dried Mushrooms versus Fresh
These BBQ Pulled Porcini Tacos use dried porcini mushrooms that are rehydrated.
I have made the recipe both ways – fresh mushrooms and dehydrated – and while fresh porcini mushrooms do work, the resulting texture that comes from dried porcini?
Taco Tuesday, here we come!
- 1 fresh shallot, peeled and diced
- 2 tablespoons vegetable broth or water
- 3 ounces Dried Porcini Mushrooms (about 2 1/2 - 3 cups once rehydrated)
- 1/2 - 3/4 cup Easy Gluten Free Vegan BBQ Sauce
- 6 taco shells - hard or soft
- fresh or pickled jalapeños
- sliced cabbage or Cool Coconut Cabbage Slaw
- lime wedges
- While still dried, carefully slice each piece of porcini mushroom into thin strips.
- Once sliced, place porcini in bowl at least twice the size of the amount of dried mushrooms, and cover with hot water. Set aside to rehydrate - this takes just a few minutes.
- In saucepan over medium heat, sauté shallot with 2 tablespoons broth or water.
- Add rehydrated porcini mushrooms to the sautéed shallot, stirring to combine.
- Add BBQ sauce, stirring to coat porcini mixture completely. Continue to cook over medium heat until sauce is bubbling and porcini mixture is fully cooked, 5-7 minutes.
- Remove from heat, serve immediately. Spoon porcini mixture into taco shells, top with jalapeños, cabbage or slaw, and a squeeze of lime.
- *Optional crisping: Once fully cooked, transfer from saucepan to a parchment lined baking sheet. Spread in an even single layer. Bake for 20 minutes, with a quick broil for 2-3 minutes more, or until edges are crispy to your liking.
dairy, egg, soy, oil, and gluten free, vegan
adapted from Pulled Porcini Sliders recipe
Mycological Dried Imported Porcini Mushrooms, 1 Ounce Package
Better Than Bouillon Organic Vegetable Base 16 Oz, Reduced Sodium
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Serving Size:2 tacos
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 233 Total Fat: 9g Saturated Fat: 3g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 0g Cholesterol: 0mg Sodium: 208mg Carbohydrates: 19g Fiber: 16g Sugar: 11g Protein: 13g
Try AmazonFresh Free Trial for Unlimited Grocery Delivery – add these recipe ingredients to your list. use code FRESH25 for a $25 off discount on your first AmazonFresh order!
Kristina is spabettie! She discovered a love of cooking at an early age, and founded spabettie in 2010 to share vegan recipes. As the sole recipe developer and photographer, Kristina turned her culinary training into sharing flavorful and vibrant vegan food! She loves dachshunds, karaoke, drums, and travel.
spabettie / Kristina Sloggett is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.