ramen burger – sushi style

in appetizers, Dinner, Gluten Free, Happy Hour at Home, recipes, Vegan, Vegan MoFo

ramen burger - sushi style

veganmofo

Can you believe it is September?

I cannot believe it is September.

There. Cliches out of the way, I want to take a moment to thank you.

All of you who visit me here every day, even when I have been too busy these last two years to connect, reply to your very appreciated comments, or visit your blogs often. There have been times I so truly missed the community of blogging, have felt so out of touch from that community, and I miss it.

I am coming back. Right now, I have been taking time.

To mourn. To celebrate. To remember. To express gratitude. Lots of gratitude.

Thank you, dear readers. So many of you have shown me such generous friendship, and have helped to make a difficult time a bit easier, a bit brighter. I am overwhelmed by the thoughtfulness.

vegan ramen burger

Vegan MoFo is here again – this is my third year participating. The plant based version of NaNoWriMo is a fun month of themes and inspiration. I honestly didn’t know if I had it in me this year, but much like a major kitchen renovation being the best distraction for me right now, I am ready to tackle Vegan MoFo.

I already have some fun ideas.

I am kicking off Vegan MoFo 2013 with a super fun recipe that tastes amazing.

Admittedly not my idea, the ramen burger originates from the genius Keizo Shimamoto in Brooklyn. Maybe you’ve heard of it? It’s the latest trend to hit the summer food scene, edging out my fascination for the cronut. I needed to try this myself.

The original ramen bun method is simple – cooked ramen noodles mixed with egg, molded into a bun shape, fried in a pan.

Watch this HuffPost video of making a ramen bun.

I already had my flavor ideas – you cannot go wrong with sriracha, wasabi and pickled ginger – but how to make this ramen bun without egg?

Here is my plant based version of the ramen burger – sushi style.

sushi ramen burger

chick-quin ramen burger, sushi style

YIELD: one full size burger or two slider size

dairy, egg, soy and gluten free, vegan

INGREDIENTS:

1 1/2 tablespoons flax seed, freshly ground
3 tablespoons hot water

1 package ramen style instant noodles (I found rice based, lime flavored)
1 tablespoon coconut oil
chick-quin patties
sriracha mayo (sriracha + vegan mayonnaise)
wasabi mayo (wasabi paste or powder + vegan mayonnaise)
pickled ginger
sliced avocado

INSTRUCTIONS:

Grind flax seed in blender, coffee grinder. Place 2 tablespoons flax in a bowl, add water and stir. Place in refrigerator to set into gel.

Cook ramen noodles (add flavor packet after draining for additional flavor). Allow to cool. Add flax gel to ramen noodles, combine completely (using hands or fork). For full size bun, divide ramen equally between two large (greased / sprayed) ramekins. For smaller slider size buns, divide equally between four small ramekins. Transfer ramekins to refrigerator to set, 30 minutes.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Remove ramekins from refrigerator, set on a baking sheet and bake ramen buns inside ramekins for 15 minutes. Remove and cool to touch.

Using a fork or flexible spatula, gently remove each ramen bun from ramekin. In pan over medium high heat, melt coconut oil. Place ramen buns in sizzling oil, cook until lightly browned on each side (2-3 minutes).

Assemble the burgers: spread sriracha mayo on bottom bun, top with avocado and chick-quin patty. Add wasabi mayo and pickled ginger, top with the other ramen bun. Enjoy.

spicy ramen burger

Such good flavor, and so fun to eat.

and it really does hold together well.

this recipe was shared with Healthy Vegan Fridays.

1 Helene D'souza September 1, 2013 at 4:19 am

I can’t believe that it is september too… How did it happen?
I had seen those burgers in some magazine (or was it online?). I don’t think they would come so soon to Goa, except if I make them asap and give them to try to the others here. For once I have all ingredients that you mentioned except the chick-quin patties, but that can be taken care of for sure. Thank you for sharing this recipe, I have been wondering how to make it. =)

2 Abby September 1, 2013 at 5:06 am

If September means cooler weather and a new beginning of sorts, I’m more than ready for a new month. I hope you can find some comfort and peace in the days and weeks ahead, my friend, and Vegan Mofo is a great distraction to start with!

While I will never make a ramen burger–I’ve seen them all over the place–I do love Vegan Mofo for all the great posts and ideas. I look forward to this year as well!

3 Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table September 1, 2013 at 6:07 am

I’m so fascinated! I wonder if my trainer would count ramen noodles as a complex carb… this is too cool not to try.

4 Tearei September 1, 2013 at 6:12 am

These look like they’d be really fun – to make and eat. Since I recently (finally) learned to cook quinoa, I’ve been excited to try your recipe for the chick-quin patties – perfect timing. :)

I never knew about the Vegan MoFo before this, either. Yay for cooler weather and more time to cook.

5 Heather (Where's the Beach) September 1, 2013 at 6:33 am

My Jason would be all over these. He has a thing for ramen ;-)

6 Susmitha - Veganosaurus September 1, 2013 at 12:57 pm

This is the first I’m hearing about these awesome Ramen Burgers and your sauces are making them seem extra yum! :) I’m going to have to try these out really soon.

My third time doing MoFo too this time. :)

7 Julie Hasson September 1, 2013 at 2:28 pm

How fun Kristina! I had no idea that you could buy rice noodle soup packets. I wonder if Uwajimaya has them?

8 Jared September 1, 2013 at 5:01 pm

SO glad this came to fruition!!

9 Richa September 1, 2013 at 10:31 pm

the burgers look fabulous. i have been intrigued by them for a while, sometimes in a good way and sometimes not so.
Awesome start to mofo. Hope you are holding up well. Hugs.

10 jobo September 2, 2013 at 1:04 pm

Always always thinking of you friend. take your time. And these burgers? GENIUS!!!!!!!!!

11 Angie | Big Bear's Wife September 3, 2013 at 8:10 am

oh my gosh, that’s a great idea!

12 Laura Plumb September 3, 2013 at 10:01 am

Terrifically inventive! Wonderfully inspiring!

13 Laura Plumb September 3, 2013 at 10:03 am

Terrifically inventive and wonderfully inspiring!

14 Heather @ Better With Veggies September 3, 2013 at 10:22 am

That is awesome!! Never in a million years would I have thought ramen could be a bun, but you make it happen. :)

15 Tamar September 3, 2013 at 10:41 am

This. Is. Awesome!!!! I have been having a love affair with Ramen for years and I keep telling myself (actually, others keep telling me) that Ramen alone is not nutritious enough and that I need to add something to the mix. I just love it with salt, pepper and sriracha. But now, the ramen bun??? Which I can sandwich around nutritionally sound fillings, plus…uh-wha?? SRIRACHA MAYO!? You just made my day. Yum. Yum. YUMMMM. :)

16 Johanna GGG September 4, 2013 at 8:00 pm

those burgers look so cute – I am sorry to hear about your dad but I am pleased to hear you are doing vegan mofo again

17 Kim - Liv Life September 7, 2013 at 10:49 am

Oh my goodness… this is fabulous!!!

18 HeaHil September 9, 2013 at 1:59 pm

Super creative. I will have to try this soon! Looks yummy.

19 Liane August 4, 2014 at 5:40 am

Wow! This looks and sounds amazing :) I´m usually quite late on the novelty/craze/hype food train, but I wanted to try this ever since I heard of it. Thanks for the recipe^^ I love your blog.