raspberry coconut flax waffles

raspberry coconut flax waffles

errryday I’m wafflein’

All right, not every day. Special days, birthdays.

Jason had a birthday last weekend, and the dogs and I got up early and made him breakfast in bed.

raspberry coconut waffles

This time of year we visit the farmers market all the time, and I always have at least two pints of fresh raspberries on hand. Too often I simply eat them by the handful, or use them as a topping, like here with these waffles.

This time though, I also added raspberries to the waffle batter. A slight flavor, but a good one – lightly sweet and summery, with a double dose of coconut.

vegan gluten free waffle recipe

raspberry coconut flax waffles

dairy, egg, soy, and gluten free, vegan

makes 4 full Belgian style waffles

2 tablespoons flax seed, freshly ground
1/3 cup coconut water

1/2 pint fresh raspberries
2/3 cup + 1 tablespoon coconut milk (So Delicious carton)
1/4 cup maple syrup (or sweetener of choice)
1/2 cup coconut flour
1/4 cup gluten free all purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder

1/4 teaspoon xanthan gum

Grind flax seed in blender, coffee grinder. Place 2 tablespoons flax in a bowl, add coconut water and stir. Place in refrigerator to set into gel (this equals / replaces two eggs).

In blender, purée raspberries, coconut milk and maple syrup until smooth. In mixing bowl, combine flours, baking powder and xanthan gum, stirring out clumps. Whisk in the raspberry puree and flax mixture, combine completely. Scoop batter onto a prepared waffle iron, covering 2/3 surface, and cook according to manufacturer instructions.

raspberry waffles

It is Meatless Monday – visit Heather for more flax recipes!

Meatless Monday recipes

Comments

• Kristina Sloggett says

I know, it was SO AWESOME to finally meet her! we did get to spend a bit of time together, too, which was nice! :)

Yes to waffles! I have the same problem with eating all the raspberries before I can make anything out of them, but I think I’d exercise my willpower for this. :)

• Kristina Sloggett says

I was that way about strawberries – never really cared for them until just a few years ago… but raspberries will always be my favorite.

YUM! I have a very similar recipe that includes almond extract….and coconut butter so tasty! But I haven’t tried coconut flour, I never have much luck with that flour! I will for sure have to try these:)

• Kristina Sloggett says

I know, coconut flour is very hit and miss. I find if I mix it with another flour it is more friendly… 😉

• Kristina Sloggett says

hi Steph! yes, the raspberry flavor was subtle – really nice! fresh raspberries on top was just perfect – they are SO GOOD right now!! hope all is well with you, Mama – have a great week!

This sounds fantastic! How long does the flax mixture take to form a gel? I haven’t experimented with that yet, although I’ve been meaning to. And I love fresh berries… yum!