Ginger Cashew Nori Rolls

Ginger Cashew Nori Rolls – a satisfying savory snack or lunch, these flavorful rolls are crunchy, creamy, spicy, and sometimes even sweet! Perfect for lunch or brunch or afternoon snack.

Ginger Cashew Nori Rolls @spabettie

The first few days of April I completed a five day juice cleanse and then another several days of juicing and mostly raw foods.

For several lunches I made my ginger-cashew nori rolls, using whatever fillings I found in my produce drawers. There are two rolls in the photos – a mango roll (um, yum) and a pepper-bean roll. So so good.

And so so simple. Really.

Ginger Cashew Nori Rolls @spabettie

Jason and I have a few favorite sushi restaurants we frequent (one has confirmed vegan miso, and all of them make me fantastic veggie rolls), and the one thing we always bring with us? These little fish with gluten free soy sauce. If we forget it, Jason is already feeling off before dinner is done – he is even more gluten intolerant than I am.

These rolls, though.

Spicy and fresh and crunchy and umami. Depending on the salt you use to season the ginger filling, these can greatly vary in flavor. The kala namak (black salt) is my favorite, the sulphur flavor adds an interesting bite. Onion salt is good here too, and I have used celery salt also (for those who dig on the Old Bay seasoning).

With the cashew base, these are quite filling, and you can customize the crunch with whatever veggies you have on hand. As you can see by my salt options, these are really never the same roll twice around here.

But always good.

Ginger Cashew Nori Rolls @spabettie

ginger-cashew nori rolls

dairy, egg, and gluten free, vegan, raw

makes 2 full rolls (sliced into 6 pieces each)

INGREDIENTS:

3/4 cup raw cashews
3/4 inch ginger, peeled and minced fine*
1/2 tablespoon rice vinegar
pinch sea salt, onion salt, or kala namak
2 sheets dried nori seaweed
veggies of choice (sliced mango, bell pepper, green beans)
sesame seeds for garnish

*adjust amount to taste

INSTRUCTIONS:

In food processor, pulse cashews, ginger, rice vinegar, and salt to a paste. Carefully spread an even layer onto nori sheets. Line the filling vegetables along one edge, roll tightly. Using a sharp knife, cut each roll in half, then cut each half into three equal sized pieces (cleaning knife after each cut).

Arrange on serving plate, sprinkle with sesame seeds.

Ginger Cashew Nori Rolls @spabettie

What’s your favorite kind of sushi? Have you ever had mango sushi?

printable recipe:

Ginger Cashew Nori Rolls
Author:
Recipe type: vegan sushi, nori rolls,
Cuisine: Asian
Serves: 2 rolls (sliced into 6 pieces each)

dairy, egg, and gluten free, vegan, raw
Ingredients
  • ¾ cup raw cashews
  • ¾ inch ginger, peeled and minced fine*
  • ½ tablespoon rice vinegar
  • pinch sea salt, onion salt, or kala namak
  • 2 sheets dried nori seaweed
  • veggies of choice (sliced mango, bell pepper, green beans)
  • sesame seeds for garnish
  • *adjust amount to taste
Instructions
  1. In food processor, pulse cashews, ginger, rice vinegar, and salt to a paste.
  2. Carefully spread an even layer onto nori sheets. Line the filling vegetables along one edge, roll tightly.
  3. Using a sharp knife, cut each roll in half, then cut each half into three equal sized pieces (cleaning knife after each cut).
  4. Arrange on serving plate, sprinkle with sesame seeds.

Comments

• Kristina Sloggett says

exactly – or just do a rough handroll (geez, there is no way to write that without sounding bad…) 😉

I’m so intrigued by these little rolls! I’ve never tried making any sushi or rolls at home. I usually leave it to the professionals but these sound so tasty and easy to make. I think I may have to give it a go! Thanks for inspiring confidence 😉

• Kristina Sloggett says

oh, Kate you are welcome! I hope you do try – if you are careful it is not too difficult. and SO tasty! XO

• Kristina Sloggett says

I did like it – I bought a 3 day, then juiced my own after. I love the variety in the purchased (Cooler Cleanse is my favorite!), and it is SO easy. Once I get into my “groove” of juicing I’m good, though…

• Kristina Sloggett says

Kat, rice to me is FILLER, I’d rather leave it out too! the cauliflower rice is good, but I find it is not sticky enough for rolls (and then I have to add something to it so it will stick, nah…). this is my answer to that! :)

SUSHI! I straight up could not eat it until I was 30, but now? IT’S ON. I love the idea of using cashew-ginger puree in place of the rice here! And yes, I have had mango in sushi–fresh mango with tempura sweet potato in an inside-out roll. So good.

• Kristina Sloggett says

the mango was my favorite – I made a couple “tubes” and just ate them like that, without cutting into small pieces. like a big yummy mango cigar 😉

Mango in sushi?! Oh yes! The closest thing I’ve had to that was plum, but mango sounds much better. :) I keep meaning to try making my own sushi because sadly, we can’t find a many veg options at the restaurants here. They all have the obligatory kappa roll and that’s it.

• Kristina Sloggett says

ooh, the umeboshi sushi? YES so good! we have a couple great places that have a small “veggie” menu, and I ask for things… :) one of the perks of being recognized as a regular, I guess!

4. chaya says

I have made raw sushi with hemp seeds as the rice, use some agave and vinegar to create the “sticky” rice. So good, a bit expensive. Also I havent tried either cauliflower rice or jicama rice, but those are two other options to consider to replace the rice. I have had some vege sushi with macadamias, that was divine. I do love mango in rolls!

Trackbacks