gingered sesame-coconut udon with roasted broccoli

in Dinner,Meatless Monday,recipes,Vegan

gingered udon with roasted broccoli

Welcome to another Meatless Monday – today we’re cooking with udon! I was going to attempt a homemade udon to keep things gluten free, then I realized it would really just be a homemade spaghetti noodle at that point…

vegan gingered sesame udon

I will definitely be making this recipe often, either with a gluten free noodle or raw veggie noodles. I layered strong flavors that create a powerfully fragrant dish that is both vibrant and comforting.

Spinach and broccoli provide plant based protein, while basil and ginger bring the flavorful pop. The coconut milk and tahini blend into a comforting sauce that is just enough to coat the noodles and veggies – light yet satisfying. You could add tofu or your favorite protein to this for even more oomph.

gingered sesame-coconut udon

I learned something new this week! I cooked the udon using the traditional Japanese method, and it worked perfectly. I will be trying this method with gluten free dried pastas – I think the idea is to thoroughly cook the noodle without a gummy result.

gingered sesame-coconut udon

gingered sesame-coconut udon with roasted broccoli

serves two as entree, four as side

2 bundles udon*
2 trees broccoli, trimmed and chopped
1 inch fresh ginger, peeled
1/3 cup coconut milk (So Delicious carton)
2 tablespoons tahini paste
2 cups fresh spinach
1 bunch fresh basil leaves

*sub a gluten free noodle to keep gluten free

Arrange broccoli on foil lined baking sheet. Drizzle with 2 tablespoons olive oil and sprinkle sea salt, bake in 350 degree oven for 25 minutes, turning halfway through. To blacken / crisp further, broil for 3-5 more minutes, watching closely. Remove from oven and set aside

In large pot, bring water(1/3 full) to boil. Add udon noodles – once water begins boiling again, add 1 cup cold water. When water boils again, add another 1 cup cold water – repeat until noodles cook through (with 2 bunches udon, I did this three times). Drain noodles, set aside.

In wok over low heat, combine ginger and coconut milk. Add tahini paste, stirring to a thin sauce. Add spinach and basil. Using tongs, toss spinach and basil into sesame-coconut sauce to coat and wilt. Add cooked udon, toss to combine.

gingered udon with roasted broccoli

1 Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table January 21, 2013 at 5:00 am

I love that you added tahini here! I never thing to use it witn ginger flavors… I always go lemon and garlic. Must do this soon!

2 Kristina Sloggett January 21, 2013 at 5:44 pm

lemon and garlic are SO GOOD with tahini. you will love ginger!

3 Jon January 21, 2013 at 6:09 am

where do I find recipes I click the pic and the link no recipes thanks

4 Jon January 21, 2013 at 7:17 am

yours is good and I will try it thanks I keep coming back to see other recipe I want to see theres only one more

5 Kristina Sloggett January 21, 2013 at 5:42 pm

thank you! did you see the recipes are there now? take care Jon!

6 Caroline January 21, 2013 at 7:16 am

Yum this sounds heavenly. I have enjoyed much udon, never made myself. This will be my first recipe thanks dear!

7 Kristina Sloggett January 21, 2013 at 5:43 pm

you are welcome – I hope you enjoy!

8 Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) January 21, 2013 at 8:53 am

This is nothing short of amazing! You crack me up with taking your allergy pills to eat it. I did the same the other night when I ate a little bit (1/4 cup) pasta sauce on my pizza that had a touch of soy in it. It gets me past the hive stage, but the tummy troubles come in either way. Not so bad with that portion though. ;)

9 Kristina Sloggett January 21, 2013 at 5:41 pm

they sortof help? both Jason and I suffer from congestion with gluten (and then there’s me with my joint pain added…), and the allergy pills do work to lessen the congestion some. we loved this recipe so much, I will be making it with gluten free spaghetti next time! :)

10 Andrea Mynard January 21, 2013 at 12:40 pm

These noodles look really delicious as well as being so lovely and healthy. Another one on my list to try.

11 Kristina Sloggett January 21, 2013 at 5:39 pm

it really does feel healthy and lovely – while also kind of being “comfort food” at the same time… enjoy!

12 tamara January 21, 2013 at 12:48 pm

This looks like basically my perfect, ideal meal. So excited to make this — I love your recipes so much! Thank you for sharing : )

13 Kristina Sloggett January 21, 2013 at 5:38 pm

thank YOU, Tamara – you just made my day!

14 Heather (Where's the Beach) January 21, 2013 at 1:14 pm

Ok, now I wish I’d gone to the grocery store yesterday. I have broccoli on my list and I think I have some udon noodles in the cabinet. This looks wonderful.

15 Kristina Sloggett January 21, 2013 at 5:37 pm

thanks, Heather! we loved it (I forgot to add we topped it with red pepper flakes too – yum!)

16 Eileen January 21, 2013 at 3:05 pm

I’ve never heard of that udon-cooking method! Sign me up. :) This bowl looks so satisfying and green and delicious.

17 Kristina Sloggett January 21, 2013 at 5:36 pm

it worked here, and really wasn’t too much longer in time (at least on gas stove…) and thank you! we loved this.

18 Christina January 21, 2013 at 3:34 pm

This sounds delicious! Once we move into the new house I’ll have to make this. Maybe even for our “date night” :)

19 Kristina Sloggett January 21, 2013 at 5:35 pm

I hope you do! and I would be honored if it was made for date night! :)

20 Erin @ Dinners, Dishes and Desserts January 21, 2013 at 6:05 pm

This sounds wonderful! The sauce with the coconut milk and tahini and the ginger – yum!

21 Kristina Sloggett January 21, 2013 at 7:07 pm

thank you, Erin!! this sauce will definitely be made again here, many times!

22 Kait @ ChickadeeSays January 21, 2013 at 7:15 pm

This looks delicious! I absolutely love the bowl as well. I look forward to seeing more of your MMAZ recipes!

xx Kait

23 Kristina Sloggett January 22, 2013 at 1:29 pm

hi Kait! isn’t that fun? one of my favorite bowls… and thank you – I really liked Udon Week! ;)

24 Laura (Tutti Dolci) January 21, 2013 at 9:56 pm

I love udon noodles, they sound perfect with roasted broccoli!

25 Kristina Sloggett January 22, 2013 at 1:27 pm

I have to say, they really were! I cannot wait to make this again.

26 Sarah @ The Smart Kitchen January 22, 2013 at 9:42 am

You always make tahini look so dang delicious. I have to wonder why there isn’t a tahini company out there sponsoring you at this point. [Or ARE they....? ;)]

Thank you for teaching me the traditional Japanese method of cooking noodles. Who knew? [Well. You.] Normally I don’t read the steps of a recipe…ever…but I was so intrigued. I’m definitely going to try it.

OK, I’m definitely going to at least THINK about trying it.

27 Kristina Sloggett January 22, 2013 at 1:21 pm

I. Wish. There. Was.
;)

tahini is my favorite thing ever, I think. at least in the top five!

28 Heather @ Better With Veggies January 22, 2013 at 11:55 am

Tahini and coconut milk together, that sounds fantastic! And I love that this is really such a simple recipe, look at that short ingredient list. The exact opposite of my creation, right? :) This looks awesome. You need to write a cookbook, seriously!

29 Kristina Sloggett January 22, 2013 at 1:15 pm

ah, thank you!! I have wanted to way before I even started this blog… one of these days!

30 Allie January 23, 2013 at 7:49 am

All you have to say is “broccoli, noodles and Asian flavor” and I’m in! Ginger is just the (savory) icing on the (noodle) cake!

31 Kristina Sloggett January 23, 2013 at 1:01 pm

I know… I love these flavors too, and cannot wait to make this one again!

32 Chris January 24, 2013 at 12:56 pm

What a lovely dish! I like the way udon noodles are packed with this small ‘paper’ wrapped around it to make small bundles. I will use them more often and here is a good recipe for it.

33 Kristina Sloggett January 24, 2013 at 1:57 pm

hi Chris! I like the bundles also – the package says each bundle is one serving, which is what I used, and it made a lot! I hope you enjoy this recipe – I know it will be a favorite at our house, we are already looking forward to it again.

34 Laurie January 24, 2013 at 1:26 pm

Ive never cooked with ginger….do i mince it or leave it in the one inch strip after i peel it? Confused!

35 Kristina Sloggett January 24, 2013 at 1:55 pm

hi Laurie!

as the recipe says – While noodles cook, peel ginger and mince fine – using side of knife to press into a paste.

To do this, I peel the ginger with the side of a spoon, this is a very easy method of peeling. Then mince fine, almost into a paste.

I hope this helps!

Kristina

36 Mary Kate January 24, 2013 at 5:54 pm

I would bet that pure buckwheat soba or the rice stick noodles (which likely have a name I don’t know) would both work well with that sauce — and be gluten free.

37 Kristina Sloggett January 24, 2013 at 8:00 pm

hi Mary Kate! I almost bought soba instead, but for the Meatless Monday, it was Udon week, so… ;)

but yes! I will be making this recipe often, and will be using a gluten free noodle or even a spiralized veggie noodle. can’t wait!

38 Laurie February 8, 2013 at 1:40 pm

First vegan dish i ever made…it was great. I added cayenne to it too. Wonderful and so simple…so much better than a cream sauce!

39 Kristina Sloggett February 9, 2013 at 6:47 pm

I am so happy you like it, Laurie! I make this one a lot…

40 Johnny June 17, 2013 at 12:23 pm

I am SO making this…. OR better still, you are making this for me!!! With a delicious sake back?!?

41 kath demeulemeester April 30, 2014 at 5:42 pm

can I use ordinary pasta for this recipe?

42 Kristina Sloggett April 30, 2014 at 8:17 pm

hi Kath, you can use any pasta you prefer – I have made this with several different types, including spiralized vegetables in place of noodles. enjoy!

43 kath demeulemeester April 30, 2014 at 11:34 pm

thank you very much! excited to try your recipe :)

44 Kristina Sloggett May 1, 2014 at 11:21 am

I hope you enjoy it, Kath – it is one of our favorites!