Gingered Sesame Coconut Udon with Roasted Broccoli

Gingered Udon with Roasted Broccoli

Gingered Sesame Coconut Udon with Roasted Broccoli is a fragrant and warmly spiced bowl of comfort – noodles, aromatic basil, fresh ginger and savory tahini combine for great flavor!

Vegan Gingered Sesame Udon

Welcome to another Meatless Monday – today we’re cooking with udon! I was going to attempt a homemade udon to keep things gluten free, then I realized it would really just be a homemade spaghetti noodle at that point…

I will definitely be making this recipe often, either with a gluten free noodle or raw veggie noodles. I layered strong flavors that create a powerfully fragrant dish that is both vibrant and comforting.

Spinach and broccoli provide plant based protein, while basil and ginger bring the flavorful pop. The coconut milk and tahini blend into a comforting sauce that is just enough to coat the noodles and veggies – light yet satisfying. You could add tofu or your favorite protein to this for even more oomph.

Gingered Sesame Coconut Udon

I learned something new this week! I cooked the udon using the traditional Japanese method, and it worked perfectly. I will be trying this method with gluten free dried pastas – I think the idea is to thoroughly cook the noodle without a gummy result.

Gingered Sesame-Coconut Udon

gingered sesame-coconut udon with roasted broccoli

serves two as entree, four as side

2 bundles udon*
2 trees broccoli, trimmed and chopped
1 inch fresh ginger, peeled
1/3 cup coconut milk (So Delicious carton)
2 tablespoons tahini paste
2 cups fresh spinach
1 bunch fresh basil leaves

*sub a gluten free noodle to keep gluten free

Arrange broccoli on foil lined baking sheet. Drizzle with 2 tablespoons olive oil and sprinkle sea salt, bake in 350 degree oven for 25 minutes, turning halfway through. To blacken / crisp further, broil for 3-5 more minutes, watching closely. Remove from oven and set aside

In large pot, bring water(1/3 full) to boil. Add udon noodles – once water begins boiling again, add 1 cup cold water. When water boils again, add another 1 cup cold water – repeat until noodles cook through (with 2 bunches udon, I did this three times). Drain noodles, set aside.

In wok over low heat, combine ginger and coconut milk. Add tahini paste, stirring to a thin sauce. Add spinach and basil. Using tongs, toss spinach and basil into sesame-coconut sauce to coat and wilt. Add cooked udon, toss to combine.

gingered udon with roasted broccoli

Comments

This is nothing short of amazing! You crack me up with taking your allergy pills to eat it. I did the same the other night when I ate a little bit (1/4 cup) pasta sauce on my pizza that had a touch of soy in it. It gets me past the hive stage, but the tummy troubles come in either way. Not so bad with that portion though. 😉

• Kristina Sloggett says

they sortof help? both Jason and I suffer from congestion with gluten (and then there’s me with my joint pain added…), and the allergy pills do work to lessen the congestion some. we loved this recipe so much, I will be making it with gluten free spaghetti next time! :)

• Kristina Sloggett says

it really does feel healthy and lovely – while also kind of being “comfort food” at the same time… enjoy!

• Kristina Sloggett says

it worked here, and really wasn’t too much longer in time (at least on gas stove…) and thank you! we loved this.

• Kristina Sloggett says

hi Kait! isn’t that fun? one of my favorite bowls… and thank you – I really liked Udon Week! 😉

You always make tahini look so dang delicious. I have to wonder why there isn’t a tahini company out there sponsoring you at this point. [Or ARE they….? ;)]

Thank you for teaching me the traditional Japanese method of cooking noodles. Who knew? [Well. You.] Normally I don’t read the steps of a recipe…ever…but I was so intrigued. I’m definitely going to try it.

OK, I’m definitely going to at least THINK about trying it.

Tahini and coconut milk together, that sounds fantastic! And I love that this is really such a simple recipe, look at that short ingredient list. The exact opposite of my creation, right? :) This looks awesome. You need to write a cookbook, seriously!

What a lovely dish! I like the way udon noodles are packed with this small ‘paper’ wrapped around it to make small bundles. I will use them more often and here is a good recipe for it.

• Kristina Sloggett says

hi Chris! I like the bundles also – the package says each bundle is one serving, which is what I used, and it made a lot! I hope you enjoy this recipe – I know it will be a favorite at our house, we are already looking forward to it again.

• Kristina Sloggett says

hi Laurie!

as the recipe says – While noodles cook, peel ginger and mince fine – using side of knife to press into a paste.

To do this, I peel the ginger with the side of a spoon, this is a very easy method of peeling. Then mince fine, almost into a paste.

I hope this helps!

Kristina

I would bet that pure buckwheat soba or the rice stick noodles (which likely have a name I don’t know) would both work well with that sauce — and be gluten free.

• Kristina Sloggett says

hi Mary Kate! I almost bought soba instead, but for the Meatless Monday, it was Udon week, so… 😉

but yes! I will be making this recipe often, and will be using a gluten free noodle or even a spiralized veggie noodle. can’t wait!

6. Laurie says

First vegan dish i ever made…it was great. I added cayenne to it too. Wonderful and so simple…so much better than a cream sauce!

This is an UNBELIEVABLY delicious recipe. I cannot wait to try it. The Udon look so good. I had a similar recipe in NY and it was delicious. I cannot wait to try this and transport me back to my NY days

Trackbacks